Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Marlin Glenfield 25

can anyone suggest a cheap scope and mount that will allow me to use the iron sites or the scope?

New to 22s, and never had a Marlin so I'm unsure which grooved mount I need.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    can anyone suggest a cheap scope and mount that will allow me to use the iron sites or the scope?

New to 22s, and never had a Marlin so I'm unsure which grooved mount I need.
    The Model 25 has a 3/8" dovetail like most .22's.

I love my 25. Got mine for Christmas when I was 8 years old, probably the best Christmas I ever had! It was my first rifle. That was 21 years ago and it still shoots just fine. I've shot it more than any other rifle I've ever owned and never had a problem except for the plastic trigger guard cracked around the rear hole.

One of the best cheap guns out there IMO.

no, it doesn't.

This one has grooves atop the receiver. No dovetail to be found.

(Fayette County)

no, it doesn't.

My fault, I call this a dovetail also, normally people know what I am talking about. Yes it has grooves on top of the receiver. Get a set of 3/8" scope mounts and they will snap right on. Tighten them down and there you go. Wal Mart has them for about $8 but they are not see-thru.

thanks for the info on the scope mount. Now- any input on a scope, for cheap?
    I already paid more than I should have for the rifle- $150. I'm not terribly dissapointed though-- it shoots GREAT! I was shooting dime-sized groups at 20 yards, standing unsupported, with the iron sites.

no, it doesn't.

It's called 3/8" tipoff mount, and it was a universal .22 scope mount design years ago. The scope base must pinch it, which means they need sharp "claws" in order to stay on the gun. Aluminum tip-off mounts strip easily, so I suggest steel tip-off mounts.

You can now get one inch tip off ring mounts, which means you can put a decent 1" diameter scope on your 22.

Weaver:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/products/tipOff.aspx

Bushnell includes the tip off mounts with their 22 scopes:

http://www.bushnell.com/general/rifl...=General%20Use

In the 70s, all the tip-off scopes had smaller tubes and were universally 4 power. They were a moderate improvement over iron sights, and the tip-off mounts were usually something cold-rolled around the scope with cheap screws that frequently stripped off. The stuff made today is so much better it isn't funny.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Thanks for the info- I'll be getting one of those shortly I think

(Berks County)

Glenfield rifles were made by Marlin for sale in chain stores - they are the "lower end" of the Marlin line, they have mostly walnut-stained hardwood stocks, but otherwise are the same as the Marlin models.The Model 25 was Marlin's adult sized basic .22 clip fed bolt action rifle. Mine is over 30 years old, shoots better than it has any right to, and will outshoot guns costing 5 times what I paid for it. (It really will and it really has.)
    Mine has an old Tasco 4x deer scope on it on 1" Weaver see-thru mounts.
    WalMart carries a few different .22 mounts, steel is best, and they are available for verious diameter scopes.
    It has taken many squirrels over the years, and I hope it will take many more in the future.
    I own 2 Marlin .22 rifles rignt now, and have owned several more in the past, and I recommend them highly.
    Many other companies complain and whine, Marlin just continues to make great shooting rifles here in the US for very affordable prices.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

I went kinda nuts last night

From what I can tell, my rifle is a 1976 model (serial begins with 24). I dropped into walmart to find a boresnake in 45ACP, and while they didn't have that, I bought some hollowpoints, a cheap $16 BSA scope, and a cheap sling-mount bipod. The scope because my son is having trouble understanding iron sights- I'll just teach him to put the crosshair where he wants the bullet to go. The bipod because he's a bit small yet for the rifle to be used by supporting the forearm. Withthe bipod, he will be able to use more of a sniper hold, using his hand on the buttstock to weld his cheek to, in order to use the scope.

Once he gets bigger, we'll move to iron sights and the prone unsupported.

(Fayette County)

The bipod because he's a bit small yet for the rifle to be used by supporting the forearm. Withthe bipod, he will be able to use more of a sniper hold, using his hand on the buttstock to weld his cheek to, in order to use the scope.

Once he gets bigger, we'll move to iron sights and the prone unsupported.
    One of the Model 25's that I've got was modified by my dad when my siblings and I were younger so we could reach the trigger. These rifles have a kind of "step" cut into the top of the buttstock. He cut about 4 inches off, removing the step from the stock. Worked great for us and all the neighbor kids that shot it. Kinda like a homemade Chipmunk.

Guess it was worth it for him to do since there were alot of kids around to shoot it. There were always different kids running around on the farm getting to do what kids should be doing, including shooting that rifle.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast