Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default attempted suicide at SPAG

Weds June 20 Inquirer:

A 26-year-old man was in critical condition Tuesday after he tried to commit suicide at the Philadelphia Archery and Gun Club in South Philadelphia, police said. Police and medics responded to the club on Ellsworth Street near Eighth Street about 1:45 p.m. Monday. The unidentified man shot himself in the head and was taken by medics to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, police said.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: attempted suicide at SPAG

I read about this in the paper today. I worry about the other patrons, and the shop personnel and owners. Using ranges for this purpose is becoming too easy. I also recall the time a mother shot her son and then herself in a range in Florida.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    I read about this in the paper today. I worry about the other patrons, and the shop personnel and owners. Using ranges for this purpose is becoming too easy. I also recall the time a mother shot her son and then herself in a range in Florida.
    This is where the "No loaded firearms in the store" and "Check your carry firearm at the counter" rules come from, as attempts to stem this kind of thing. It's terribly misguided, though.

The places that don't let you rent a gun if you don't already own one (or aren't with someone else) get a little bit of extra respect from me, because at least the attempted solution speaks directly to the problem.

My thoughts go out to the family of the man, for they surely have a tough time ahead of them.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    This is where the "No loaded firearms in the store" and "Check your carry firearm at the counter" rules come from, as attempts to stem this kind of thing. It's terribly misguided, though.

The places that don't let you rent a gun if you don't already own one (or aren't with someone else) get a little bit of extra respect from me, because at least the attempted solution speaks directly to the problem.

My thoughts go out to the family of the man, for they surely have a tough time ahead of them.

The shop/range where I work only rents guns to those who have a NJ FID card or a LTCF.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm a member at SPAG and go fairly often, usually mid afternoon at the same time as this shooting. It's kind of creepy to think about. I also wonder what I'd do if I saw someone in a lane near me acting erratically while holding a firearm. After all, he could have put a bullet in someone else just as quickly as he did himself.

(Bucks County)

It's just an indicator of the times. I fear it is going to get much worse. People are depressed over the lousy economy and lack of jobs. I spent 4.5 months unemployed this year and I am usually pretty cheerful, but it ground me down. If it gets a normally happy person,. imagine what it does to a person who is already beat down and gets cut from a job, or a spouse tells him "it's over".
    Keep an extra-vigilant eye on your loved ones and know the signs of a person contemplating ending it all. Suicide really tears up a lot of lives.

(Philadelphia County)

I feel bad for all involved. I was witness to one a couple of years ago at the old Security Systems range on Blakeston st in the N. E. I was putting my gun away to leave and a couple of stalls away a guy stuck a glock under his chin.
    Man i was shook for awhile after that. so ya never know whats going on in people,s lives when they feel thats the only solution to their problem.
    Your Kung Fu...not very good

(Lehigh County)

The more amazing thing is... The guy lived, atleast for now...

I feel bad for the store owner having to deal with this jack-wagon stuff.

I wonder what he shot himself with, caliber wise?? And where at?? Cause most average handgun calibers I would assume would be a kill if you were hit in the brain at close range like that..

I know there's rare cases of people not dying but damn... in the head?!?!?

Just imagine what hes going to think if he wakes up...probably something like

"I've now got a big fucking hole in my head.."

(Delaware County)

My heart goes out to the family. This person was somebody's son, perhaps brother, husband or father.

On the way to work this AM, I heard a little blip on KYW addressing the subject of suicides at gun ranges. A Temple University psychiatrist reported that little can be done by gun store clerks to stop this action. Unless, of course, the person is so despondant that he acts in a very withdrawn or apprehensive manner upon asking to rent a firing lane and or firearm. I was surprised that the report was so objective, considering the leftist leaning KYW.

I knew the mother of a woman that committed suicide at the indoor range around front and tasker. Obviously, a life changing event for the family that were left behind asking why.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    I'm a member at SPAG and go fairly often, usually mid afternoon at the same time as this shooting. It's kind of creepy to think about. I also wonder what I'd do if I saw someone in a lane near me acting erratically while holding a firearm. After all, he could have put a bullet in someone else just as quickly as he did himself.

Despite RSO's in the range, things happen when they are not looking or not in the range itself. Although not an attempted suicide, I did report a shooter who was shooting disallowed ammo at the range. I am very cognizant of who is around me and how they are handling firearms. If I think there is an unsafe situation, I will report it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast