Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Cheltenham Twp Firearm Laws

I was curious if it was legal to shoot a bow on your property in Cheltenham Twp, so I looked up the ordinance, and found 2 surprising things... can anyone clarify if I am reading this correctly.

1. Not only is it "not illegal" to shoot a bow on your own property, it does not appear to be illegal to shoot a firearm on your property in Cheltenham twp. The ordinance only says it is illegal to shoot from a public road, across a public road or across a property line.

2. it appears to be illegal to carry a firearm even with a valid LTCF. The law says:

"Nothing in this chapter shall make it unlawful for any person to have in his possession any air rifle, firearm or bow if it is:
    A. Kept within his domicile; or

B. Used by the person and such person is a duly enrolled member of any club, team or society organized for educational purposes and maintaining as part of its facilities or having written permission to use an indoor or outdoor range under the supervision, guidance and instruction of a responsible adult, and then only if said air rifle, firearm or bow is actually being used in connection with the activities of said club, team or society under the supervision of a responsible adult
    . No mention of an exception for a person with an LTCF (Not being a lawyer, I don't know if that "goes without saying" or not.

Please, this is not to say that I am planning on shooting a firearm in my backyard..... I was just surprised as to the wording. I might shoot a bow in my yard though.

Here is a link to the code http://www.ecode360.com/6443221

(Chester County)

Default Re: Cheltenham Twp Firearm Laws

Regarding Chapter 143:

1. It doesn't preclude shooting firearms, bows, or air gun on your own property if the projectiles do not cross your boundaries. One would have to search into other potential ordinances, eg noise ordinances or range requirements, that may otherwise restrict discharge;

§ 143-3. Carrying or discharging any air rifle, firearm or bow; reporting lost or stolen firearm.
    A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any air rifle, firearm or bow on the highways or public lands in the Township unless it is unloaded and in a suitable case or securely wrapped.

C. Reporting of lost or stolen firearms required. Any person who is the owner of a firearm as defined above that is lost or stolen is required to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Cheltenham Township Police Department within 72 hours after discovery of the loss or theft of the firearm. The person reporting the lost or stolen firearm may receive a copy of the report, once prepared, from the Police Department.

§ 143-3A is definitely a violation of preemption insofar as firearms is concerned. Not so with bows and air guns.

§ 143-3C is arguably a violation of preemption.
    Last edited by tl_3237; June 19th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
    IANAL