Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Fort Indiantown Gap- Gun in car

Hello everybody-

I am going to be at Fort Indiantown Gap for the next week or so. (The guard base in Annville, PA). I spoke with base police, and the commander specifically banned weapons on base. Anybody know of anywhere close I can leave my vehicle with my weapon in it? I want to avoid being unarmed for longer than I have to.

Anybody know the actual laws regarding this base and guns?

I will be there as senior member with Civil Air Patrol - and I leave for Air Force basic training shortly so I can not afford to "deep conceal" and risk it.

Thanks,

Iceman

(Washington County)

Default Re: Fort Indiantown Gap- Gun in car

Just off 81 near the main gate is a restaurant called Funk's chickin' Lickin' and across from that is a little barbershop. You could check with those two places. Those are the only two places my dad could think of. He was there regularly for 30+ years, but it's also been years since he's been there.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Berks County)

ICE:

Your location says Kutztown - FIG is what - 2 hours away max? Just take a leap of faith and leave it home for the week.

With only 17 posts are your really THAT trusting to leave your firearm w/ a stranger?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by worker987 View Post
    ICE:

Your location says Kutztown - FIG is what - 2 hours away max? Just take a leap of faith and leave it home for the week.

With only 17 posts are your really THAT trusting to leave your firearm w/ a stranger?
    I'd be hesitant to park off of Fort property too, but I don't see how post count has anything to do with it.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Montgomery County)

Maybe you could ask about checking the gun into the base armory when you go on base and checking it out when you leave. When I was station in Guam, anybody that owned guns were required to check them into the armory.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    I'd be hesitant to park off of Fort property too, but I don't see how post count has anything to do with it.
    Wasn't a slam - just an observation:

Low post count = likely new here; he does not know US but is willing to trust US (admirable - but I reserve my trust to those I know awhile) with his weapon. Or ask for "safe" storage areas. I'd be worried leaving my car unattended anywhere for long periods - and with a weapon stored inside - but that's just me.

(Monroe County)

See if there's a bank close by and rent a security box for the stay.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    See if there's a bank close by and rent a security box for the stay.
    Not a bad idea. I don't know if I would have ever thought of this one.

Only problem is he probably won't be released from training each day in time to retrieve it before the bank closes. In the morning the bank won't open until after he is back in training.

So... the only way this would work is to drop it off in a deposit box on day one and pick it up at the end of the week. If this is the case there is NO POINT IN TAKING IT. You won't have access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by worker987 View Post
    ICE:

I have to agree with worker987 on this one. The safest course of action would probably be to leave it at home. As much as it hurts me to say that....

I work at "The Gap" and I would not leave a firearm in my car parked off post. The place is safe but it's too much liability. You will be there at a time when the training population can be as high as 3,000+ and you have a lot of through traffic. This all adds up to too many people that might decide to see what worth stealing from your car.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Not a bad idea. I don't know if I would have ever thought of this one.

Only problem is he probably won't be released from training each day in time to retrieve it before the bank closes. In the morning the bank won't open until after he is back in training.

So... the only way this would work is to drop it off in a deposit box on day one and pick it up at the end of the week. If this is the case there is NO POINT IN TAKING IT. You won't have access to it.
    Still have it for the 2 hr drive home...never know what could happen in that 2 hrs.

Some is better than none.

None is..........well..........none.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; June 19th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast