Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default Sig p938 9mm - ammo selection

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some feedback from other owners and or ballistics gurus about what 9mm defensive round be optimal for this barrel (3 in) between any given choices.

Im sort of torn between the Remington GS 124. Gr + P and thier 147 gr standard pressure round. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone had any reliability issues with particular brands or grain ratings? Any personal experiences help. Thanks!
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig p938 9mm - ammo selection

Sure, neither of the two rounds you suggested. In my opinion, you would be better off with a standard pressure 115 grain defensive load like Hornady Critical Defense.

My preference aside, buy a few boxes of each and try them at the range for yourself. See which shoots better for you. Bullet performance cannot be measured at the range, yet there are tons of youtube hours dedicated to that. One of my favorite youtube channels is "tnoutdoors9" check him out.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

The Golden Saber is a dinosaur. Just saying. Using them is akin to considering the Beretta 92 series as brand new and extremely hi-tech.

Just saying.

I like Winchester Ranger. Runs well in my guns, rounds I've personally tested and recovered (very non-scientific) have worked very well.

To be honest I'm actually considering alternating rounds in my carry magazines, the first 147 gr Ranger, the next 115 gr Federal LE +p+ Hi Shok, then back to the Ranger etc, ad emptinium...

Sure it makes me look crazy and indecisive, especially in court, but who says you can have fast and heavy at the same time?

A good benchmark is usually what your local police are using.

It usually isn't cheap, but many of the Buffalo Bore 9mm loadings offer some serious results.
    Last edited by rwb1500; June 18th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I buy the LE rounds i.e. winchester ranger, Speer gold dot, and federal HSTs. All those rounds in standard 147 gr will deliver performance. The nice thing about buying the LEO boxes is they are 50 count. So for the price of what you would pay for a box of 20 of the commercial stuff like Buffalo bore or Corbon you get 50 rounds of well tested cutting edge ammo. That being said find what works in your gun in terms of accuracy and reliability. I have no idea what the p938 is rated for but any +p is going to snap pretty hard is such a small lightweight 9mm.

So I am assuming you bought one? How is it? I have had my eyes on those guns since my p238 turned out to be an awesome little gun.

(Beaver County)

According to Sig's website they do not recommend the extended use of +P ammunition due to excessive wear. I don't really see why they feel the need to say this. +P+ will void your warranty, which is good to know.

As for what round to use, I agree with Steve, buy a few different brands and see what works best for your gun(accuracy) and for you(controllability).
    I prefer Gold Dots, although I'll admit I've only shot 2 or 3 other brands so my testing isn't that extensive. Critical Defense 115gr was my 2nd choice.
    I currently have 124gr +P Gold Dots loaded in my P229. At some point I'm going to see how much of a difference the standard 124gr are.

The nice thing is Gold Dots come in many flavors 115, 124, 147 standard P and 124 gr +P. And the one you may want to check out 124gr +P SB, meaning short barrel. I don't really know what the difference is but it has short barrel in the name.

More importantly, where are the picks of your P938???

(Mercer County)

Realistically you'll be fine with any high quality hollow point load. I stick with proven rounds, avoiding the gimmicky ones. Personally, I try to load Speer Gold Dots in 124 grain +P in all my 9mm pistols.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Yes..very curious about that p938. Do you have one in hand? Pics pleez Where'd u get it? How much (if u dont mind)? Did they have any left?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big-O View Post
    Yes..very curious about that p938. Do you have one in hand? Pics pleez Where'd u get it? How much (if u dont mind)? Did they have any left?
    OP, i'm running Honady Zombie Max ammo out of mine since we ran out of Critical Defense. i plan on mixing in some Ranger SXTs once we get them back in stock.

he might have one or not, but i do:

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...-sig-p938.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Bucks County)

My understanding was Sig was discouraging the use of +P in the P938. Anyway I use Fiocchi Extreme which is a Fiocchi loading with Hornady XTP bullets. They run great in my guns and is much less expensive than the Hornady ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast