Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Outdoor Cleaning

If I wanted to clean my guns outdoors on my patio under an awning is that legal? I live in Greater NE Philadelphia just worried about neighbors getting the wrong idea and calling the police. Am I legal to do this in my own backyard? My parents just hate the smell of Hoppes #9 in the house.

(York County)

Default Re: Outdoor Cleaning

As far as I know it's legal, but what difference does it make? Your neighbors could still call 911 and report that they have seen "a man on a porch, waving a gun around" and have a massive police response, with you disarmed, proned-out, handcuffed, and potentially charged with a whole picnic basket full of crimes. Got piles of spare cash for an attorney? Do you really think any Philly PD wants people cleaning guns on front porches? Do you really think your parents would view this as the preferred alternative?

You need a much better game plan.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

How well can your neighbors see into your backyard?

Legally speaking, you SHOULD be fine. I can't think of any law saying you can't do that. But you are in Philly so i can't comment on any illegal Philly laws. IANAL.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Could it legally be done in a public park?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Bucks County)

Totally legal as long as you aren't prohibited.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cleanneon98 View Post
    If I wanted to clean my guns outdoors on my patio under an awning is that legal? I live in Greater NE Philadelphia just worried about neighbors getting the wrong idea and calling the police. Am I legal to do this in my own backyard? My parents just hate the smell of Hoppes #9 in the house.
    Every so often when the weather is good I clean my long guns and my pistols outside. You can't beat the light and fresh air. I don't point in any direction and I break the weapon down before cleaning. I don't hang out with them assembled after cleaning but then again I don't live near Killadephia. Cleaning your weapons in or on your property as long as you are not prohibited should never be an issue.

I never take a weapon outside unless in a holster or at a range. To many Hoplophobes out in the general public to do anything else.

(Philadelphia County)

I would do this in my backyard and we have bushes and stuff so its somewhat private but some neighbors can definitely see in. I'll just bring them out broken down or ask my local district office if it's OK and see what they say.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post

Jan
    Legally, yeah.. Hassle-free, probably not..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Jan
    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Legally, yeah.. Hassle-free, probably not..
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, But in PA the act of touching your firearm in public, EVEN IF you are just re-positioning it on your hip or resting your hand on it in your holster CAN be considered Brandishing a Firearm which is illegal.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by hekel32spl View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, But in PA the act of touching your firearm in public, EVEN IF you are just re-positioning it on your hip or resting your hand on it in your holster CAN be considered Brandishing a Firearm which is illegal.
    Consider yourself corrected, sir. There is no such crime as "brandishing a firearm" in Pennsylvania. It doesn't exist in the statutes. And, if it's not in the Uniform Firearms Act, it's not illegal.

Waving your handgun around while yelling, pointing it at others or other outrageous behavior could be considered terroristic threatening or disorderly conduct, but not brandishing.

As for touching your handgun to readjust it on your belt, there's nothing illegal or threatening about such, and is not illegal.

In the summertime I'll often clean my guns (two pistols and a carbine) while sitting on my front porch in full view of anyone walking on the sidewalk a few feet away. If they don't like it, that's too bad. It's not illegal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast