Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Looking for comments and opinions

I'm looking to invest in a glock 20. Wondering what everyone thinks of this gun.

I am also looking for a good starter for my finance. She has never shot before so want something that she can handle.

Bastard Child

(Chester County)

Default Re: Looking for comments and opinions

I'd recommend getting a good .22 pistol for a new shooter. Build good habits with that before moving up in caliber.

A Walther P22, Ruger MKIII, or Borwning Buckmark are all great pistols for new shooters.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I'd recommend getting a good .22 pistol for a new shooter. Build good habits with that before moving up in caliber.

A Walther P22, Ruger MKIII, or Borwning Buckmark are all great pistols for new shooters.
    Sont forget the Smith and Wesson 22A... also a good .22.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

i think the P22 is a great little pistol and might buy one next month. i do NOT like the way it tears down and goes back together. its a PITA. but it is one of the FEW composite pistols that is fomcy in my hand.

i think a .32 auto wouldnt be a bad caliber also, but they tend to come only in short barrel models. those tend to kick a bit more and are less accurate.

picking an easy to shoot accurate pistol for a first timer is important in my eyes. if its easy to shoot, easy to maintain, and easy to get decent beginner groups on paper then it makes it more fun, and makes the person want to continue to stay in the hobby.

as for the Glock 20, i cant provide any input. sorry.
    Grant
    This Space For Rent

The G-20 is a lot of gun! Personally, I like the versatility and shootability of the G-21. With an inexpensive aftermarket (Lone Wolf) barrel, a 6# trigger spring, and a 20-24# recoil spring you can easily convert to 45 Super and, either, match or rival the performance of a 10mm - and with heavier bullets, too!

You need to use the right brass; (45 Super, ONLY!) and, of course, with 45 Super being a reloader helps!

A good first centerfire range pistol would be something like: a G-34, or a G-17, or - if it might end up being carried alot - the G-19. If I were just learning how to shoot a pistol I'd be glad to begin with the G-34. It's a good match gun too; and, neither would I mind carrying it. I know several people (all big men) who do.

At today's ammo prices 9mm ammunition is, also, a bargain!
    Last edited by G21.45; February 23rd, 2008 at 02:31 PM.

If you are wanting to get your fiance a gun that she will also be using for self defense, I like .38 Specials (or .357 Mags loaded with .38s) and 9 mms. Both are easy to shoot and adequately powerful. Not a .38 snubby, though. I just don't think their relative unpleasantness to use is a good choice for a beginner.

If she just wants to have fun shooting, you can't go wrong with a .22. There are a mulititude of good choices.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Child View Post
    I'm looking to invest in a glock 20. Wondering what everyone thinks of this gun.

I am also looking for a good starter for my finance. She has never shot before so want something that she can handle.

Bastard Child
    Tell us why you want the 20...then we can help out. If it's for a backcountry weapon, it takes on totally different criteria from a target gun, which is different than a carry gun.

The 20 is one of the few guns that stands up to the 10mm well....FWIW.

(Chester County)

Take her to a range that rents guns and let her try some out. Then let her decide which she thinks is best for her. I do stand by the suggestion of starting with a .22 though. You don't want to scare her with something too large.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Westmoreland County)

I am looking for a good 10 mm i have always liked that caliper and the glock seems to make the best pistol for it. I don't feel you can go wrong with a glock by any means. I know quite a few officers that swear by a glock. I've been shooting for quite awhile and it's gonna be another to my little collection, That will someday be a very big collection. i like the ballistics of the fact that it has comparable ballistics to the 41. My collection thus far has been all long guns. The Glock 20 will be the first of the pistol purchases, that will be followed by many more. I will prolly be doing some hunting with it and prolly range time. As for her she's new to shooting. She has been around shooters before just never had a chance to pull the trigger herself. Were looking for an all around kinda gun for her she may or may not carry. She will keep it around for home protection. she wants to be able to go out shooting and not be hurting afterwards. If she decides to carry she wants something that is reliable and accurate and not to big.

Bastard Child

Hunting?
    Jules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast