Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Montgomery Township Police Check & MontCo LTCF Turnaround Time

Just got my LTCF. It took 2 weeks total for Montgomery Township Police Check from drop-off to pick-up. Then took approximately 15 minutes at MontCo Sheriff Dept in Norristown to get LTCF.
    Last edited by samsid; August 21st, 2012 at 02:51 PM.

Default Re: Montgomery Township Police Check & MontCo LCTF Turnaround Time

Sweet, it took Towamencin 1 day to validate mine and about a hour at the Sheriff's office in Norristown.
    Now just what to purchase first?
    "Self-Defense is not Offensive."

Quote Originally Posted by samsid View Post
    Just got my LCTF. It took 2 weeks total for Montgomery Township Police Check from drop-off to pick-up. Then took approximately 15 minutes at MontCo Sheriff Dept in Norristown to get LCTF.
    Did you guys complete the illegal police check form?

(Montgomery County)

The Sheriff gives you the option of not doing the police check card yourself now. I f you opt not to do the check card, it'll take up to 45 days to get your LTCF.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Yes, the Towamencin Police Department had mine approved in one day and called me to let me know it was ready to be picked up.
    "Self-Defense is not Offensive."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrluke View Post
    Yes, the Towamencin Police Department had mine approved in one day and called me to let me know it was ready to be picked up.
    Congrats neighbor! That's really fast for Montco 2-step.

Quote Originally Posted by BenP View Post
    The Sheriff gives you the option of not doing the police check card yourself now. I f you opt not to do the check card, it'll take up to 45 days to get your LTCF.
    That's great news. I just went to the website to confirm and they have changed the instructions.

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...,3,q,41609.asp
    3. The Local Police Check card is part of our investigation. We suggest that you fill this out and have it completed by your local police department to save time (they will either call you to pick it up or mail it to us.) Alternatively, you may drop it off to our office with your application; however, you may have to wait up to 45 days before you can return for your permit. Note: this applies to new applicants only. The Local Police check card is only valid for 60 days from date of signature by Police Department.
    I don't like the way they worded it but we're obviously getting closer to the letter of PA law. Instead of wording it as a threat to slow down the process, they should add it in as an incentive to help speed up the process. I have no idea "what" they're speeding up because a local check is not necessary for a "shall issue" state. The PICS check and your sworn document is all they legally need to process the application.

Obviously, a sheriff can use many means to complete an investigation but as long as you don't fit the legal requirements for a denial, they have to issue the permit. Asking the local PD if they have any objections is irrelevant as far as your permit goes but the sheriff may want to share the info with the locals and I haven't ever read anything that said they can't. It's my belief it's all part of the non-existent registry the police insist they don't have.

That said, they legally have 45 days to drag their feet, so....

I almost feel compelled to write a nice letter to Eileen Behr for advancing this correction, something her predecessor seemingly had no interest in righting. Nice work guys!
    http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg142/C5-pilot/Sigs/AllysAmazingAmmo03a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
    Congrats neighbor! That's really fast for Montco 2-step.

That's great news. I just went to the website to confirm and they have changed the instructions.

http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...,3,q,41609.asp

I don't like the way they worded it but we're obviously getting closer to the letter of PA law. Instead of wording it as a threat to slow down the process, they should add it in as an incentive to help speed up the process. I have no idea "what" they're speeding up because a local check is not necessary for a "shall issue" state. The PICS check and your sworn document is all they legally need to process the application.

Obviously, a sheriff can use many means to complete an investigation but as long as you don't fit the legal requirements for a denial, they have to issue the permit. Asking the local PD if they have any objections is irrelevant as far as your permit goes but the sheriff may want to share the info with the locals and I haven't ever read anything that said they can't. It's my belief it's all part of the non-existent registry the police insist they don't have.

That said, they legally have 45 days to drag their feet, so....

I almost feel compelled to write a nice letter to Eileen Behr for advancing this correction, something her predecessor seemingly had no interest in righting. Nice work guys!
    I had posted about that check-card thing a few weeks ago. They did update their website. They do seem to insist on 2 references though. I am glad that they updated their website. I feel that my letters to the sheriff had something to do with it, but I can't prove that. It's a good thing, regardless of which citizen gets "credit" for helping to make a change.

Thought I'd add, here was my recommendation to Sherriff Behr as far as wording goes.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Thank you for your E-mail Sheriff Behr. I very much appreciate your time in this matter. I am glad to hear that this is an issue that you are personally looking into. I hope that when I submit my application, that the process will be smooth. I also hope that the process will be smooth for other applicants in the future. I have a very simple suggestion as to the matter that I believe will be beneficial to both applicant, and the Sheriff's Department. Instead of stating that you "require" XYZ information, simply state that you "strongly suggest" that such information is provided to help "expedite" the process. Advise potential applicants that by providing such information, they can "potentially" receive their license much quicker. If they do not, it may delay the processing up to the full 45 days allowed. In this way, the burden on the Sheriff's Office is lighter to all those who choose to provide the information that I previously objected to. For those that do not, the Sheriff's Office still has a full 45 days to do the investigation. This information can be displayed on the Sheriff's Office website, and in the Sheriff's Office. Once again, I very much appreciate your personal involvement in this matter.

P.S. Items "2" and "3" on the following hyperlink I feel should be changed to "we suggest" type dialogue. Also, perhaps remove the "cannot be processed" sentence as well. Thank you kindly, Sheriff Behr.
    http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...av,|34342|.asp

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The above letter was dated April 5th. I feel she did a good job in cooperating.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    Thought I'd add, here was my recommendation to Sherriff Behr as far as wording goes.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Thank you for your E-mail Sheriff Behr. I very much appreciate your time in this matter. I am glad to hear that this is an issue that you are personally looking into. I hope that when I submit my application, that the process will be smooth. I also hope that the process will be smooth for other applicants in the future. I have a very simple suggestion as to the matter that I believe will be beneficial to both applicant, and the Sheriff's Department. Instead of stating that you "require" XYZ information, simply state that you "strongly suggest" that such information is provided to help "expedite" the process. Advise potential applicants that by providing such information, they can "potentially" receive their license much quicker. If they do not, it may delay the processing up to the full 45 days allowed. In this way, the burden on the Sheriff's Office is lighter to all those who choose to provide the information that I previously objected to. For those that do not, the Sheriff's Office still has a full 45 days to do the investigation. This information can be displayed on the Sheriff's Office website, and in the Sheriff's Office. Once again, I very much appreciate your personal involvement in this matter.

P.S. Items "2" and "3" on the following hyperlink I feel should be changed to "we suggest" type dialogue. Also, perhaps remove the "cannot be processed" sentence as well. Thank you kindly, Sheriff Behr.
    http://sheriff.montcopa.org/sheriff/...av,|34342|.asp

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The above letter was dated April 5th. I feel she did a good job in cooperating.

So did you apply for your LTCF? How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
    I don't like the way they worded it but we're obviously getting closer to the letter of PA law.
    Doesn't the "letter of PA law" require the Sheriff to investigate? Wouldn't the Sheriff asking the nearest Chief of Police, if the applicant is a known lunatic or not, be a reasonable part of such investigation?

Every other thread about "legal issues" here has "start a paper trail" within a page of posts or so. What exactly other than "starting a paper trail" is that MontCo Sheriff doing here? I went through that process myself. I am a resident of MontCo. So what? The Montgomery County Sheriff doesn't just pick up the phone and asks the local Chief of Police if he knows you (in a negative way). He wants that in written, so that it is on HIS record that he did the investigation, law requires him to do. With all those crazy media idiots around, I won't blame that guy to cover his own ass as well as he (legally) can.

As said, I went through that process. I even went through it with a twist, because I am not a US citizen. They just followed the letter of PA law and I got my LTCF as I was supposed to. Took two weeks instead of twenty minutes, but that is still within the "letter of PA law".

From where I'm sitting, Montgomery County still acts like "shall issue". Really folks, there should be some bigger fish to fry.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast