Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default M&P45 threaded barrel is tight

I got a factory S&W threaded barrel for my M&P45. When I first tried to install it, I couldn't rack the slide as the barrel hung up. I couldn't pull it back far enough to engage the slide lock. After fiddling with it a bit, I was able to get it loosened up ALOT. I can easily lock the slide back, but to pull it back any further takes just the slightest bit more effort than usual. And I really mean slight. If I didn't know any better, I probably wouldn't even notice.

So the slide can easily be pulled back with ease until the last 1/4" or travel you can feel it tighten up.

It's the squared chamber area that's a bit to tight inside the slide. Like I said it's much much looser now than it was. I'm thinking it will wear it when it's shot. But I'm just not so sure. The slide will easily snap shut when let off the slide release. It doesn't get stuck. Like I said, it's just a little tight at that last 1/4" of travel rearward.

I have NOT shot it yet, because I'm concerned about it causing a catastrophic issue, but I don't really think it will. I can manually feed snap caps, so it's not so tight that the recoil spring can't force the slide shut on a round. It seems to work just fine. It should function, but just figured I'd mention something before I try to shoot it.
    Last edited by EvoRich; June 16th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Default Re: M&P45 threaded barrel is tight

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    I have NOT shot it yet, because I'm concerned about it causing a catastrophic issue, but I don't really think it will. I can manually feed snap caps, so it's not so tight that the recoil spring can't force the slide shut on a round. It seems to work just fine. It should function, but just figured I'd mention something before I try to shoot it.
    Make sure you also mention this to next of kin, just in case things shouldn't go your way.
    Last edited by harold63; June 16th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Delaware County)

I got a factory S&W threaded barrel for my M&P45. When I first tried to install it, I couldn't rack the slide as the barrel hung up. I couldn't pull it back far enough to engage the slide lock. After fiddling with it a bit, I was able to get it loosened up ALOT. I can easily lock the slide back, but to pull it back any further takes just the slightest bit more effort than usual. And I really mean slight. If I didn't know any better, I probably wouldn't even notice.

So the slide can easily be pulled back with ease until the last 1/4" or travel you can feel it tighten up.

It's the squared chamber area that's a bit to tight inside the slide. Like I said it's much much looser now than it was. I'm thinking it will wear it when it's shot. But I'm just not so sure. The slide will easily snap shut when let off the slide release. It doesn't get stuck. Like I said, it's just a little tight at that last 1/4" of travel rearward.

Before you tell your kin as advised by 300, I would take it to a gunsmith for tweaking. M&Ps are precise and well made and as such, even factory barrels made for such gun, may not be drop-in items.

(Cumberland County)

It's really not too bad. Like I said, only slight increased effort towards the end of the slide travel toward the rear. If I didn't know any better, I probably wouldn't notice. I did some minor "fitting" to get the barrel to fit the way it does now.

What if any catastrophic failures could happen? I can't think of anything that would happen other than a possible FTF or the slide jamming open. I'll be taking the original barrel with me as well.

I'm going to hit the range in the morning. I'll report back if I'm missing a hand, or end up with gun parts imbedded in my face.

(Cumberland County)

Well, four stitches on my right eyebrow and a few minor cuts on my right hand later.......................

Just kidding. It ran flawlessly. What I did to work the barrel in must have worked. After shooting it, it feels even better. No hang ups, no kabooms. POA/POI are the same as far as I can tell between the barrels. This gun is super accurate as long as I do my part.

Now, I have to get around to some paper work.... NFA laws are such crap. I have to save up the money.

It's the squared chamber area that's a bit to tight inside the slide. Like I said it's much much looser now than it was. I'm thinking it will wear it when it's shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Before you tell your kin as advised by 300, I would take it to a gunsmith for tweaking. M&Ps are precise and well made and as such, even factory barrels made for such gun, may not be drop-in items.
    Before the hurt, this wouldn't have hurt (the gun smith bit). A burr smaller than a grain of sand or a tool mark can cause the tight feeling. Even being .001" out of spec can make it feel tight. The fact that it loosened up by handracking allowed me a little humor. I don't even shoot a new gun until I've handracked it a couple hundred times. If it won't function after that, then I question whether or not I want to keep it. So far I am 100 over 100.

It's really not too bad. Like I said, only slight increased effort towards the end of the slide travel toward the rear. If I didn't know any better, I probably wouldn't notice. I did some minor "fitting" to get the barrel to fit the way it does now.

What if any catastrophic failures could happen? I can't think of anything that would happen other than a possible FTF or the slide jamming open. I'll be taking the original barrel with me as well.
    As long as it is good, factory ammo, probably no more than what you mentioned. You did not mention anything about improper lock up, so a tight fit is 'bout all you had.

It ran flawlessly. What I did to work the barrel in must have worked.
    Good to know the next of kin are off the hook.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.