Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New Obscure Infraction: Marking PAFOA email as spam

As you all know we recently moved PAFOA to a new hosting setup.

In doing this, one of the new requirements for us is that we have to run all of our outgoing email through a third-party email delivery provider which watches us very closely on how many of our emails are marked as spam. If our spam rate goes over a certain limit ISPs will stop accepting our emails.

Because of this, we simply cannot accept people marking our email as spam when they can just as easily unsubscribe (which we honor)

There are currently a few ways that you can receive email from PAFOA, here they are and how to disable them:

1. Our mailing list: Visit your User CP and uncheck "Receive Email from Administrators"
    2. Email from other members: Visit your User CP and uncheck "Receive Email from Other Members"
    3. New Private Message Notifications: Visit your User CP and uncheck "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages"
    4. Thread Subscription Notifications: Visit your Thread Subscription Management and delete subscriptions you no longer wish to receive.

Please keep in mind that when we issue this infraction, it's not that we actually want to ban you, it's because we have to immediately stop sending email to you. If you receive this infraction please contact forum support and we will work with you to reactivate your account after educating you about why it is critically important that you do not mark our emails as spam.

Thanks!
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Monroe County)

Default Re: New Obscure Infraction: Marking PAFOA email as spam

Here's another thing...instead of the forum automatically "subscribing" me to every thread I comment on or view, why not only subscribe me only to ones that I click "subscribe" on? That way it will limit the amount of emails you receive for certain things.

(Butler County)

I'm computer dumb. Get my emails thru AOL and they're not showing up as spam. Do I need to do anything? Got my happy birthday today - Thankyou
    Last edited by DonM55; June 16th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Here's another thing...instead of the forum automatically "subscribing" me to every thread I comment on or view, why not only subscribe me only to ones that I click "subscribe" on? That way it will limit the amount of emails you receive for certain things.
    A-fucking-men to that.

(Delaware County)

you can change that on your own.

go to user cp> edit options> and change "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" to "Do not subscribe"
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    you can change that on your own.

go to user cp> edit options> and change "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" to "Do not subscribe"
    Thanks !

(Luzerne County)

that's ridiculous! Not everyone marks emails as spam... some times the provider will automatically do it if there are too many similar emails.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    that's ridiculous! Not everyone marks emails as spam... some times the provider will automatically do it if there are too many similar emails.
    Yup...mine does. I'll get some as regular emails then next time one comes in from the same place it'll be in my spam folder...out of my control.

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Please keep in mind that when we issue this infraction, it's not that we actually want to ban you, it's because we have to immediately stop sending email to you. If you receive this infraction please contact forum support and we will work with you to reactivate your account after educating you about why it is critically important that you do not mark our emails as spam.
    With all due respect, I think this is a bad idea. The geek-inclined among us can twist the spam filter and mail filtering knobs to get things how we want it, but those who aren't or who can't don't have a choice. Punishing someone because of something they have no control over seems contrary to the spirit of, frankly, many of the values we as a gun owners fight to uphold.

I have no problem with you overriding settings for anyone who reports the email as spam to ensure they never get mail again from the forum. I also would have no problem with defaulting all the contact settings to "OFF" so that people have to explicitly turn various email notifications on. Opt-in is a great way to say, "Yes, I really do want these.", and it gives you cover with your provider.

That said, as always, this is your living room, and you can make whatever rules about sitting on the couch you care to. If this is really how it's going to be, so be it. It's not an issue that's going to impact me one way or the other.

(Cambria County)

Yup...mine does. I'll get some as regular emails then next time one comes in from the same place it'll be in my spam folder...out of my control.
    Originally Posted by redturbo0
    I agree with the above posts. My AOL will send several dozen as good mail and then randomly throw a few into my spam folder. Not sure why.

So I guess I will be getting the upcoming infractions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast