Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: New Obscure Infraction: Marking PAFOA email as spam

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post
    I agree with the above posts. My AOL will send several dozen as good mail and then randomly throw a few into my spam folder. Not sure why.

So I guess I will be getting the upcoming infractions.
    Or you could just configure your account here to not send emails.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Or you could just configure your account here to not send emails.

... or you could add the PAFOA email address to the address book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

There are several alternatives. One, you can unsubscribe to everything. This means you will not get alerts when someone has posted in a thread to which you subscribed either by posting yourself or by clicking on the "subscribe to thread" button. Most people do not seem to know that one even exists.

Two, as Gun has mentioned, you can mark PAFOA as "not spam", an option my Kaspersky AV offers.

Three, you can set up an account solely for receiving emails from forums like this. I established a Hotmail account just so I could get emails from here and other forums on which I participate without it clogging up my regular inbox. It is not a huge imposition on my time to go click click click to delete emails to threads which I am not interested in reading. I even use the "delete all" button sometimes. And then, there are times when I go to all the trouble to click on the "unsubscribe from thread" button. Even if you delete all your email notifications, you can still see which threads have been updated by viewing your control panel page.

The problem has arisen from two things. One, we have a new email sender which requires that they not get tagged as a spammer. Two, there are members here who are too stinking lazy to unsubscribe or just delete threads, so they mark them as spam and let someone else clean up the mess, with no consideration of how it might impact on others. You might say, they are ruining it for everyone.

(Delaware County)

I just unsubscribed to everything. The only notices I was getting were for pms so no big deal for me. I just check everthing when I go online. Pafoa is my home page so It is the first thing I check anyway.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

I would like to add that if you are using AOL for your email you are doing a disservice to yourself and to this forum. Much/most email to an AOL address gets flagged as SPAM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    I would like to add that if you are using AOL for your email you are doing a disservice to yourself and to this forum. Much/most email to an AOL address gets flagged as SPAM.
    In over 2 years I've been a member I've never had an email from PAFOA flagged as spam. I check and clear spam folder weekly.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    With all due respect, I think this is a bad idea. The geek-inclined among us can twist the spam filter and mail filtering knobs to get things how we want it, but those who aren't or who can't don't have a choice. Punishing someone because of something they have no control over seems contrary to the spirit of, frankly, many of the values we as a gun owners fight to uphold.
    I don't think automatic spam filters are the problem. I think the problem is when people manually notify their ISPs that email is spam. Doing so can land PAFOA on block lists and such.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    For AOL, pretty much ALL mass mailings, and any that use BCC (undisclosed recipients)

As for me, I only get notified for a PM unless I manually choose to be for a hot thread.

I have found that auto spam filters suck, sometimes severals emails from the same sender will split, some going to the inbox, and some to the junk folder.

(Delaware County)

Dan,

I think running a query against the database to set everyone to not receive emails from pafoa might be easier, so those who truly do want to get emails, will enable the appropriate settings and make sure they're getting them properly, as I believe another use already mentioned.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Delaware County)

It is entirely inappropriate for the moderators of a website to tell it's users what to do with their email. It's not your place to deem what someone does on their computer as "acceptable." If your new provider has policies that are too strict, switch to a different provider.

Threatening people with infractions for making certain decisions on what to do with their email is wrong. Making a very public statement, perhaps using that nice big banner at the top of the forum, explaining why such actions from users can adversely affect the website, is a much better (and less iron fisted) way to go about it. Not to mention, less jerk-ish.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; June 16th, 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Not trying to sound too mean.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast