Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Modified semi-auto for hunting (legally)

Thanks for the responses everybody. I have a hunting shotgun, and a rifle that would be way better suited for taking a deer; I just wanted the novelty of being able to take one with my AK, being my favorite gun thus far. Seems I will be taking everybody's though, and leaving the AK as it should be and out of the woods.

(Chester County)

Convert it to pump action

Hoplophobia is funny

(Columbia County)

Question Re: Modified semi-auto for hunting (legally)

I did the chopped gas piston then welded the gas tube closedot stopped by my local wco and after explaining what I did an also offered him $500 if he culd prove it was still semi by firing all five shots just pullin the trigger, didn't take me up on it lol told me its fine just be prepared to go through this every time a wco saw me. and btw its semi permanent no semi again till u get a new bolt carrier with piston and a new gas tube which I just got ordered in for $128 accuracy drops to 4-5moa so its a 100yds brush gun and everybody and there brother will hear you rack the next round a very loud CLACK-CLACK got a 5point the last day with it at 115yds but had gangrene :-(
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Westmoreland County)

Question Re: Modified semi-auto for hunting (legally)

if you want a pump ak and its legal ,do it. i would love to see it in the field myself. i wouldnt run away like a lil sissie either !!!!! .

WE LIVE IN VERY BACKWARD THINKING STATE......people seem to fight change or thinking outside the box. i think a pump ak or ar is pretty cool. and since pennsylvania hunters apparently have no self control and a mag dump is the norm upon seing a game animal, that could be an option. how a hunter,shooter could condemn a guy shooting a groundhog with an ar is beyond me. its a great platform for this,but illegal in this tight azz state. i use a pump 30.06 for deer and a slug gun also but would not be freaked out by other platforms. loosen up PA ,just a little....................

looks like my rep is gonna take a hit tonight
    Last edited by 86250rrippin; June 19th, 2012 at 03:04 AM.

(Clinton County)

This has been covered over and over again here tirelessly.

I use my SKS from time to time, bayonet and grenade launcher and all. I leave the piston at home and its a great accurate shooter.

When in doubt, call the Harrisburg PGC headquarters, they will tell you what you want to know, and if need be they will probably give it to you in writing.

Do what you want, don't listen to anyone here unless they are GCO's, FWIW what I've found is that you only need to disable the semi auto function before you go hunting. Be it permanent or temporary, just make sure that if its temporary you absolutely cannot switch it back to semi auto while either going to or from hunting or while actually hunting. Simply, with the SKS, take the piston out and leave it at home. Just selecting single shot with the gas selector isn't enough.

Like I said, I do what I do, do your own research, IANAL.

Make a bolt action AK and have fun hunting and turning heads!

Now, just thought of an idea for my Draco...

-Seth
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Lancaster County)

Modify the gun? No, we need to modify the law.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Luzerne County)

What is it? Beside that the law in Pa. shoud be changed or not about semi autos is not the point. Why do some go out of ther way with all the trouble to convert a semi to manual operation just to draw attention by every game warden when you go hunting? Is there some good reason, or something? There is a lot of good inexpensive choices out there that will do a better job with a lot less hassle.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    What is it? Beside that the law in Pa. shoud be changed or not about semi autos is not the point. Why do some go out of ther way with all the trouble to convert a semi to manual operation just to draw attention by every game warden when you go hunting? Is there some good reason, or something? There is a lot of good inexpensive choices out there that will do a better job with a lot less hassle.
    Maybe for some people its about proving a point. Sort of like the people that go out of their way to open carry a pistol everywhere they go just because they can. Its not about showing off to these people rather than raising awareness and if more and more people did it maybe people wouldn't be so alarmed every time they see it.

Maybe for some people its simply about using a different firearm than their normal one. The ammo is cheaper, its probably more familiar to that person because its most likely shot more at the range. The gun may be lighter, smaller making it easier to walk through the woods with or climb tree stands.

In the end, its his choice. Whatever his motives may be, we should be encouraging him to do at the least what's legal and not what we believe is personally acceptable. Maybe some day the law will change and we won't worry about what kind of gun we can take out.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Plus, what round would you use?
    Hornady 123 Gr VMAX

http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62X39-123-gr-SST/

They make bolt actions and singles in 7.62X39 BTW.
    Sorry, continue your discussion on the legality of this idea.

(York County)

What pisses me off is that there are some real a$$holes out there with a lever action that are a lot more dangerous than me with an automatic. Fact, I know 3 off hand. I'd even take a 3 shot max clip reg just to be able to use a semi auto, just because I have an accurate AR Maybe there should be shooting test done before license can be purchased. My 2 cents........Not trying to start a argument with Lever guys, just saying I know some dangerous dudes that I d never hunt near.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast