Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Thumbs up Butler Co. Same-Day Issuance for New Applicant

So after months of my (mild) pestering, my wife finally made arrangements today to apply for her LTCF. I'd heard rumors, but never could find anyone to confirm, that Butler Co. will do same-day issuance of the license if you appear with two non-relative references. Of course, I couldn't be bothered to actually call the definitive source because mystery is more fun . Summary is ... they do and did. Went with another couple who could be my wife's references and we could be theirs (one of them also needed one). In and out in less than 15 minutes with two shiny new LTCFs.

The clerk was very nice and helpful. Her greeting was something along the lines of "Looks like you all need some licenses!" with a big smile. She quickly did the data entry, PICS check, photo, and reference interviews.

Big props to the Butler Co. Sheriff's Office! I really appreciate encountering helpful and efficient government service as it's often times rare these days.

Perhaps my search-fu on the forums is weak and this is already in the archives, but I couldn't find it and though I'd share.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Butler Co. Same-Day Issuance for New Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    So after months of my (mild) pestering, my wife finally made arrangements today to apply for her LTCF. I'd heard rumors, but never could find anyone to confirm, that Butler Co. will do same-day issuance of the license if you appear with two non-relative references. Of course, I couldn't be bothered to actually call the definitive source because mystery is more fun . Summary is ... they do and did. Went with another couple who could be my wife's references and we could be theirs (one of them also needed one). In and out in less than 15 minutes with two shiny new LTCFs.

The clerk was very nice and helpful. Her greeting was something along the lines of "Looks like you all need some licenses!" with a big smile. She quickly did the data entry, PICS check, photo, and reference interviews.

Big props to the Butler Co. Sheriff's Office! I really appreciate encountering helpful and efficient government service as it's often times rare these days.

Perhaps my search-fu on the forums is weak and this is already in the archives, but I couldn't find it and though I'd share.
    The references have to actually be physically present for them to do this?

Evidence suggests that most counties don't even bother contacting the references, and there's at least one county (I can't recall which right now) which issues same day without making your references schlepp down to the courthouse.

Still, I'm happy for you that you didn't have to wait. I suppose it could be worse (i.e. you could have been faced with the likes of Philly's grossly illegal requirements).
    Last edited by twency; June 14th, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

someone tell Delco about this

what a bureaucratic bullshit storm even for renewals. and the clerks are as ignorant of the laws as anyone, we need a new sheriff in Delco who wants change and will follow the Constitution.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

Delco I was told 45 to 50 day's and this is my 2nd LTCF

Washington county same day-. renewal 20 mins

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    The references have to actually be physically present for them to do this?
    I'm going to say yes. They do check refs for first timers. If not they tell you to have your refs. call in to speed things up. Should still get it within a week counting mail time. Not a card to come get it but the actual LTCF. Renewals are instant.

(Lancaster County)

Here in Lancaster county you walk in fill out the form pay your fee get your photo taken and leave. No one has to be there for you. You just list them on the form that is it. I was in an out in 15 min.

(McKean County)

Same here up in the woods of McKean Co - in and out 15 minutes.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Butler County)

Butler does usually check references although when i got mine a few years ago, they only called one IIRC. Having the people present is probably the most efficient way to guarantee same-day issuance -- if they weren't busy perhaps they'd call while you waited but I did not ask.

Guess you mostly hear the bad about issuance and not the good. I am glad to hear other places are fast and painless too. Guess most people post about Philly and Delco which sound terrible.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Butler does usually check references although when i got mine a few years ago, they only called one IIRC. Having the people present is probably the most efficient way to guarantee same-day issuance -- if they weren't busy perhaps they'd call while you waited but I did not ask.

Guess you mostly hear the bad about issuance and not the good. I am glad to hear other places are fast and painless too. Guess most people post about Philly and Delco which sound terrible.
    It also guarantees that the references know that you're apply for a LTCF which if I recall correctly is supposed to be kept confidential, but I can't find the relevant statute at the moment.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast