Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Question Pistol sights coming loose?

I was wondering if any of you have had this problem before with a new handgun? I bought a Desert Eagle 50AE last week and put 58 rounds through it. The front sight started sliding off the barrel to the point where I could just push it out with little effort and the rear sight moved slightly off center. This of course happened when I was firing it. Both sights are dovetailed. I searched online to see if others have had this problem with D.E.'s and found nothing.

Spoke with CS at Magnum Research and it's on its way back right now. He said something along the lines of the sights may have been over torqued or something when installed? So, I guess a new set of sites, properly installed would be an easy fix. Worse case scenario I could imagine would be that the dovetail slots on the barrel and slide are out of spec (too wide?) requiring both parts being replaced, which would almost be a new gun. The CS representative didn't think that would be the case. I guess I'll find out soon what they're going to do with it and post an update.

Thoughts?????

P.S. I don't really think it matters, but I know someone's going to ask. I was firing Hornady 300 grain XTP which is on their list of approved ammo to feed reliably. I didn't have any other issues with the gun.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Pistol sights coming loose?

Yes, I bought a Ruger .454 Casull and the front sight flew off in 9 rounds.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: Pistol sights coming loose?

+1 for Magnum Research Customer Service.

I recieved the pistol back in 4 buisness days (6 days total if you're counting the week end), but havn't had the chance to test it until now. They replaced the sights and test fired 21 rounds through the gun. I shot 40 rounds and the sights are not coming loose anymore. I'm very happy with my experiance with this company considering some of the horror stories I've heard about customer service at other places.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    +1 for Magnum Research Customer Service.

I recieved the pistol back in 4 buisness days (6 days total if you're counting the week end), but havn't had the chance to test it until now. They replaced the sights and test fired 21 rounds through the gun. I shot 40 rounds and the sights are not coming loose anymore. I'm very happy with my experiance with this company considering some of the horror stories I've heard about customer service at other places.
    Glad it worked out.

(Indiana County)

S&W Stealth Hunter front sight slid out on a brand new gun that a guy at work bought.

I know that is not good but if thats all you got to complain about you still peeing in tall cotton as they say around here. Red Locktight the front sight and keep shooting.

I had a 66 clone that after 100 rounds of 357 the cyclunder would spin after every shot. Of course that only happened maybe twice before I notice lead spitting everywhere. As you can see thats a serious problem I was lucky it didn't blow up. On a new BRAND NAME gun that shouldn't happen but it could be worse.
    Last edited by Neko456; August 1st, 2012 at 09:48 AM.

(Delaware County)

When I first bought my Taurus 1911 .45, the rear sight would slide left and right with a touch. I just had to tighten it down and it's fine now, but I was somewhat irritated that I drew it for an empty drill at home and the rear sight was hanging off the slide by half a centimeter.