Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default would like feedback about charter arms 38 special revolver

I am looking at buying a pistol for CCW and being left handed I am interested in the Charter arms southpaw which is their undercover light for lefties. Any feedback is helpful.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: would like feedback about charter arms 38 special revolver

Quote Originally Posted by hackhnt92 View Post
    I am looking at buying a pistol for CCW and being left handed I am interested in the Charter arms southpaw which is their undercover light for lefties. Any feedback is helpful.
    You'll probably get a mixed review on Charter Arms. They are a company that has had a lot of ups and downs. I have one, the Pit Bull .40 revolver. I like it, built well, lifetime warranty, etc.. I thought I had a problem with it, they paid to have it returned and had it back to me quickly. The issue was my error, but they still did what I asked and quickly. I would have no problems recommending a CA to friends. Good luck!

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

I like the old charter arms, the newer stuff however is not of the same quality in my experience (although as cruzans states, they do offer a great warranty)

If you are lefty and can live without the hammer, the fairly new S&W bodyguard .38 model (not to be confused with the old bodyguard shrouded hammer j frame) has the cyl release up top, allowing similar operation regardless of hand preference.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

Before you make a decision, take a look at Massad Ayoob's dominant-hand reloading technique in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

He shows both right- and left-handed techniques with a conventional revolver. Comparing 4:15 vs. 5:47, I would argue that a conventional revolver actually works better for the lefty shooter.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    Before you make a decision, take a look at Massad Ayoob's dominant-hand reloading technique in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

He shows both right- and left-handed techniques with a conventional revolver. Comparing 4:15 vs. 5:47, I would argue that a conventional revolver actually works better for the lefty shooter.

Excellent link. Ayoob is the man!

CHARTER ARMS make some durable and accurate revolvers usually lightweight and made well given an option for the S&W, Rugger or Colt snub noses. They make the Bull Dog 44 mag and 357 mag. There new line are mostly 357/38spls from recent gun m,ag article they performed well.

Years ago I fired the CA bulldog with 44mag and 44 spl, the 44 mag was self tourture the 44 spl were managable as you would expect.

(Monroe County)

I have an Undercover. It is one of the ones made after the company changed hands to the present owners. I like the pistol a lot. The DA trigger gets better after about 500 dry-fires. Mine isn't a big fan of 130 FMJs, but likes 158 handloads.
    Last edited by spblademaker; June 12th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    CHARTER ARMS make some durable and accurate revolvers usually lightweight and made well given an option for the S&W, Rugger or Colt snub noses. They make the Bull Dog 44 mag and 357 mag. There new line are mostly 357/38spls from recent gun m,ag article they performed well.

Years ago I fired the CA bulldog with 44mag and 44 spl, the 44 mag was self tourture the 44 spl were managable as you would expect.
    Ummm... Charter never offered a .44 Magnum.
    I do however love their .44 Spl Bulldog Pug.

Jim