Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Best way to purchase gun in PA as an MD resident?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to purchase a gun in PA as a MD resident. I know I have to be a PA resident but is there a good way to do this?

I don't mind going to PennDOT and getting a driver's license but it would be a hassle since I think I have to switch back...(would getting a PA license affect my insurance policy? If not, I wouldn't have to switch back...)

Or I could get a PA photo ID but does anyone know if I would have to discard my Md driver's license?

Buying in MD is not a possibility since I am in PA 9 months out of the year and I don't want to make two trips down to MD, one to fill out the paperwork and wait the waiting period and one to pick up the gun.

Is there another option here?

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Best way to purchase gun in PA as an MD resident?

Quote Originally Posted by altama69 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to purchase a gun in PA as a MD resident. I know I have to be a PA resident but is there a good way to do this?

I don't mind going to PennDOT and getting a driver's license but it would be a hassle since I think I have to switch back...(would getting a PA license affect my insurance policy? If not, I wouldn't have to switch back...)

Or I could get a PA photo ID but does anyone know if I would have to discard my Md driver's license?

Buying in MD is not a possibility since I am in PA 9 months out of the year and I don't want to make two trips down to MD, one to fill out the paperwork and wait the waiting period and one to pick up the gun.

Is there another option here?

Thanks!
    You would have toget a PA license, because you can't have a PA ID and a Maryland license. Yes, it would affect your insurance, unless your carrier decides otherwise, but generally rates are also based upon location. Your only real choices are to get a pA license or to buy it in MD.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    You would have toget a PA license, because you can't have a PA ID and a Maryland license. Yes, it would affect your insurance, unless your carrier decides otherwise, but generally rates are also based upon location. Your only real choices are to get a pA license or to buy it in MD.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Shoot, it may just be easier to buy in Md then, haha.

Thanks

Smile Re: Best way to purchase gun in PA as an MD resident?

How about getting the hell out of MD, and moving to a more free state like PA?

Exactly Weights ! You are in PA 9 months outa the year anyway, technically that is your residency.... I don't know any of the tax/insurance issues though ....

Whenever I have to go into MD, I just fuel up and keep going until I get into the next state; thankfully, driving through MD doesn't take much time. I'm glad I live in OH; our purchase laws are among some of the best in my opinion. Just the NICS check, no waiting period, etc, but our conceal carry law stinks. I wish our conceal law was like PA's; whenever I'm in PA, I find conceal carry almost ideal. The only thing I can think of that could make it better is the stand your ground law.

(York County)

IIRC you may buy a rifle or a shotgun in penna as a maryland resident, provided it is not a type named on the "assault weapons list". in such case, or with a handgun, you must transfer from penna dealer or private seller to a maryland dealer with subsequent outrageously expensive fees and egregious waiting periods.

an interesting loophole in the maryland law i discussed with a friend across the border some time ago: the "posession" of an "assault pistol" that was not grandfathered or bought thru post '94 style process is illegal. the "transfer" of an "assault rifle" that was not grandfathered or bought through post '94 style process is illegal.

soooo.......i can make an AK-47 type rifle in maryland from a flat or some such "less than 80%" receiver blank without violating the statute, but not an AK pistol, because of the difference between "transfer" and "posession".

now, would i wanna spend my life savings arguing with the DA about the meaning of "transfer" and whether or not it includes "making"? even a 12 year old can see the difference, but that same 12 year old knows that the difference means nothing in a police state.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    IIRC you may buy a rifle or a shotgun in penna as a maryland resident, provided it is not a type named on the "assault weapons list". in such case, or with a handgun, you must transfer from penna dealer or private seller to a maryland dealer with subsequent outrageously expensive fees and egregious waiting periods.

an interesting loophole in the maryland law i discussed with a friend across the border some time ago: the "posession" of an "assault pistol" that was not grandfathered or bought thru post '94 style process is illegal. the "transfer" of an "assault rifle" that was not grandfathered or bought through post '94 style process is illegal.

soooo.......i can make an AK-47 type rifle in maryland from a flat or some such "less than 80%" receiver blank without violating the statute, but not an AK pistol, because of the difference between "transfer" and "posession".

now, would i wanna spend my life savings arguing with the DA about the meaning of "transfer" and whether or not it includes "making"? even a 12 year old can see the difference, but that same 12 year old knows that the difference means nothing in a police state.
    the type of gun you want to buy would help....i.e see above quote...........

(Centre County)

As a MD resident wanting to buy a gun in PA you must meet all the statutes of MD. You need to check and see what MD law says about buying a gun in a contiguous state. If you must have a "permit to purchase" in MD, you have to have that same "permit" to show the FFL in PA UNLESS MD law says otherwise.

Also, if a gun is banned in MD you cannot come into PA and buy it and take it back to MD. If you have a residence in PA you can keep it there and shoot it in PA but you can't take it to MD.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    As a MD resident wanting to buy a gun in PA you must meet all the statutes of MD. You need to check and see what MD law says about buying a gun in a contiguous state. If you must have a "permit to purchase" in MD, you have to have that same "permit" to show the FFL in PA UNLESS MD law says otherwise.

Also, if a gun is banned in MD you cannot come into PA and buy it and take it back to MD. If you have a residence in PA you can keep it there and shoot it in PA but you can't take it to MD.
    I'm not understanding what you are saying...are you saying that I can purchase a gun in PA as long as MD allows it AND I follow the rules in MD?

---

I am trying to buy a handgun, not a long gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast