Saturday - 7/14/2012 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
    Sunday - 7/15/2012 09:00 AM - 02:00 PM

Admission:
    Adult: $7.00

Number of Tables:

Coupon:
    http://www.allentownshow.net/attendant_benefits/jul.pdf

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Allentown Gun Show - Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society

Bump to the top

Going to the show to look for a Starr Carbine or possibly a Spencer Carbine. What is a solid price range to expect to see? I will want one in very good shape.

Thanks

(Berks County)

I'm hoping to find a nice Kar98k - any leads are appreciated. Thanks

I'll be there buying up carcano and mauser parts as usual.
    No Peace In Our Time.

Probably go Sunday as parking will be better. Farmer's Mart is closed Sun.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I will be there sunday as well. Hoping to get some mags for my beretta, or some stuff to refinish my old marlin.

Dan

(Monroe County)

Going to the show to look for a Starr Carbine or possibly a Spencer Carbine. What is a solid price range to expect to see? I will want one in very good shape.
    This posting should probably go under "What to look for when buying a Spencer Carbine". But since the topic was brought up . . . .

Ahhhh . . . .Spencer rifles and carbines! Back in the 1990s, I was going through another one of the Civil War carbine collecting phases. During that time, we even located the original factory building on lower Tremont Street in Boston's south end neighborhood. I even pulled into the parking lot there one day and there happened to be two Civil War period Spencer carbines in the car. Thought about it later how the weapons had actually returned briefly to their birthplace.

That former Pickering Piano, Spencer factory building was long ago transformed into a condo complex now jam packed with yuppie liberal swine.

Anyway . . . From what I seen, the prices for Spencer carbines / rifles is about the same or lower than 20-years ago. Collectible antique guns, like about everything else in that league are DOWN in price. It's a buyer's market! At the last mostly vintage gun show down there, there were about six Spencer carbines for sale. The tag prices were from $2,000 to about $3,500.

With a little knowledge of the item, it's too easy to size up the seller and how to deal with the person. First off . . . .I don't claim to be an expert on the Spencer in particular, BUT . . . I probably am! L o L!

First question . . . What type are Spencer carbine are you looking for? I categorize the things into three basic series . . .
    1.) Civil War era 1861-1865 Without Stabler cut-off device
    2.) Post Civil / Indian War period Late 1860s - ??? with"Stapler cut-off
    3.) Post Civil War rebuild (mostly done at Springfield Armory having "ESA" / Erskin S. Allen cartouche) usually with retro-fitted Stapler device -

In my humble opinion, the absolute best of the Spencer carbines and mostly easily found and purchased on the market are the genuine Civil War battle veterans. Those carbines are usually the least expensive and mostly overlooked treasures that sit on dealers tables unsold.

Here's the scoop. If you want a real Civil War Spencer, then look for these things.

1.) Mostly over-all grey patina from wear and age.

2.) "NO" stapler cut-off switch within the trigger guard.

3.) And . . . Here's the ultra forensic history tip . . . When looking at the Spencer carbine, examine the area of the saddle ring. Look for traces or distinct abrasions and dents principally at the rear of the embedded ring bar plate towards the butt stock. If the carbine was a cavalry used weapon, it will bear the marks of the ring clip banging against the wood. Those carbines were attached to the trooper while in the saddle by way of an over the shoulder wide belt leather sling. That sling was attached to the carbine ring by way of a big rounded iron spring clip. As the horse galloped along, the carbine, held at the barrel end within a socket mounted on the side of the saddle, took a beating from that big sling slip. The bruises on the Civil War period Spencer carbine are almost certain proof that the arm was employed in actual cavalry service.

Being that type of Spencer carbine has wear and bumps on the stock, to most know nothing gun hustlers, the thing is worth much less than the other one with tell-tale case color on the receiver. Often see post Civil rebuilt Spencer carbines that look like their reproduction new. Due to the minty condition, those armory polished up guns command big buck prices. Fine . . the seller can keep them.

Should you find a Spencer that fits your criteria, scope out the seller and see if he or she know anything. Ask questions! It's doubtful . . . or if they do have some information is usually totally wrong. Tell them nothing! The more ignorant those people remain the better off we all are. Mention that you're looking for just a wall hanger and the beat up old Spencer thing on his table might possibly work out if the price was right. And, as we all know, cash talks and bullshit walks. With the economy in super suck mode and getting worse . . . the Yankee dollar goes farther this week than it did last time. Head shaking and contemplative looks on the tentative buyer's part usually sees the seller price slide downward all by itself.

Those magazine feed weapons were the state of the art front line M4 military rifle of their day. Garrison troops and rear echelon invalid corps solider wear not issued those arms. It can probably be figured that all battle worn Spencer carbines saw action in the Civil War.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

(Northampton County)

This may belong somewhere else, but it did take place at the show. There were constant announcements that there were to be no gun transactions in the parking lot. That the Allentown police would be notified and charges brought. There was no specification about handgun, rifle, or shotgun. I didn't get a chance to ask what the charges would be. There are no signs posted stating this. You can't hear the announcements outside.
    What do you think? Local ordinance? Trespassing? Bullshit? If you don't rent a table from us or pay to get in the door (but then they couldn't hear it) we will bullshit you?
    The question is, will you be on your feet or your knees?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    This posting should probably go under "What to look for when buying a Spencer Carbine". But since the topic was brought up . . . .

Ahhhh . . . .Spencer rifles and carbines! Back in the 1990s, I was going through another one of the Civil War carbine collecting phases. During that time, we even located the original factory building on lower Tremont Street in Boston's south end neighborhood. I even pulled into the parking lot there one day and there happened to be two Civil War period Spencer carbines in the car. Thought about it later how the weapons had actually returned briefly to their birthplace.

That former Pickering Piano, Spencer factory building was long ago transformed into a condo complex now jam packed with yuppie liberal swine.

Anyway . . . From what I seen, the prices for Spencer carbines / rifles is about the same or lower than 20-years ago. Collectible antique guns, like about everything else in that league are DOWN in price. It's a buyer's market! At the last mostly vintage gun show down there, there were about six Spencer carbines for sale. The tag prices were from $2,000 to about $3,500.

With a little knowledge of the item, it's too easy to size up the seller and how to deal with the person. First off . . . .I don't claim to be an expert on the Spencer in particular, BUT . . . I probably am! L o L!

First question . . . What type are Spencer carbine are you looking for? I categorize the things into three basic series . . .
    1.) Civil War era 1861-1865 Without Stabler cut-off device
    2.) Post Civil / Indian War period Late 1860s - ??? with"Stapler cut-off
    3.) Post Civil War rebuild (mostly done at Springfield Armory having "ESA" / Erskin S. Allen cartouche) usually with retro-fitted Stapler device -

In my humble opinion, the absolute best of the Spencer carbines and mostly easily found and purchased on the market are the genuine Civil War battle veterans. Those carbines are usually the least expensive and mostly overlooked treasures that sit on dealers tables unsold.

Here's the scoop. If you want a real Civil War Spencer, then look for these things.

1.) Mostly over-all grey patina from wear and age.

2.) "NO" stapler cut-off switch within the trigger guard.

3.) And . . . Here's the ultra forensic history tip . . . When looking at the Spencer carbine, examine the area of the saddle ring. Look for traces or distinct abrasions and dents principally at the rear of the embedded ring bar plate towards the butt stock. If the carbine was a cavalry used weapon, it will bear the marks of the ring clip banging against the wood. Those carbines were attached to the trooper while in the saddle by way of an over the shoulder wide belt leather sling. That sling was attached to the carbine ring by way of a big rounded iron spring clip. As the horse galloped along, the carbine, held at the barrel end within a socket mounted on the side of the saddle, took a beating from that big sling slip. The bruises on the Civil War period Spencer carbine are almost certain proof that the arm was employed in actual cavalry service.

Being that type of Spencer carbine has wear and bumps on the stock, to most know nothing gun hustlers, the thing is worth much less than the other one with tell-tale case color on the receiver. Often see post Civil rebuilt Spencer carbines that look like their reproduction new. Due to the minty condition, those armory polished up guns command big buck prices. Fine . . the seller can keep them.

Should you find a Spencer that fits your criteria, scope out the seller and see if he or she know anything. Ask questions! It's doubtful . . . or if they do have some information is usually totally wrong. Tell them nothing! The more ignorant those people remain the better off we all are. Mention that you're looking for just a wall hanger and the beat up old Spencer thing on his table might possibly work out if the price was right. And, as we all know, cash talks and bullshit walks. With the economy in super suck mode and getting worse . . . the Yankee dollar goes farther this week than it did last time. Head shaking and contemplative looks on the tentative buyer's part usually sees the seller price slide downward all by itself.

Those magazine feed weapons were the state of the art front line M4 military rifle of their day. Garrison troops and rear echelon invalid corps solider wear not issued those arms. It can probably be figured that all battle worn Spencer carbines saw action in the Civil War.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    Can't thank you enough for the information....and great story. I settled on a Starr carbine for $1900 today. Very nice condition. I can never find a decent Spencer for the money. Actually I didn't even see one there in great condition. I almost purchase a Maynard 2nd model in near perfect condition, but it was a little too pricey for my budget. Excellent condition though.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast