Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Question In PA, can one carry an ASP / Baton (telescopic baton) without a licence?

I want to get one for my girlfriend who has to drive a good hour to school regularly during the week at nights. She leaves the campus at like 9 each night and I want to get her some protection. We tried pepper spray but unless you're holding it when you're attacked, its useless. Especially if its in her purse: where it normally is.

I found some telescopic batons online that range from 12-21 inches and most look good but I need to know that if in Pennsylvania she would need a Licence to Carry a Concealed Weapon?

I Googled, (like most people) and didn't find anything specific. Maybe Im using the wrong keywords...

Any suggestions?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: In PA, can one carry an ASP / Baton (telescopic baton) without a licence?

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I want to get one for my girlfriend who has to drive a good hour to school regularly during the week at nights. She leaves the campus at like 9 each night and I want to get her some protection. We tried pepper spray but unless you're holding it when you're attacked, its useless. Especially if its in her purse: where it normally is.

I found some telescopic batons online that range from 12-21 inches and most look good but I need to know that if in Pennsylvania she would need a Licence to Carry a Concealed Weapon?

I Googled, (like most people) and didn't find anything specific. Maybe Im using the wrong keywords...

Any suggestions?
    Not for nothing but all she has to do is hold the pepper spray in her hand while she's walking. Being a little proactive makes a huge difference.

(York County)

Default Re: In PA, can one carry an ASP / Baton (telescopic baton) without a licence?

I fear you are wasting your time. If she were truly interested in accepting the responsibility for her own safety she would not have her pepper spray buried at the bottom of her purse. Which is where the baton will be found within hours of your giving it to her.

If she were genuinely interested in providing for her own protection she would be here asking the questions, not you. If you have to force her to carry it, you are going to have to force her to use it.

To answer the legal aspect of your question, I believe the baton you are describing is considered an offensive weapon. Not only can it not be carried without a LTCF, it cannot be carried even with an LTCF, the operative word being "Firearms", not weapons.

Good luck to you. I suspect your girlfriend is a victim waiting to happen.

Edit: Cite... http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...nsive-weapons/

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; June 9th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

I agree 100% with Curmudgeon. Not to mention the township or city she is in may have even stricter laws. I am not sure if a baton is considered an offensive weapon. I believe it is though. Anyway here is a link to the portion of the code that deals with offensive weapons.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...9.008.000..HTM
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Monroe County)

I'm pretty sure you must be trained in the use of such things. There are very specific striking points when using a baton to gain control over someone.

I have the perfect solution. A 4-D Maglite flashlight. It's very weighty and solid and it does "serve a common lawful purpose" and is not a "blackjack". It may be a little bulky though.

.....but your better off with pepper spray or a electronic incapacitation device (taser).

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    I have the perfect solution. A 4-D Maglite flashlight. It's very weighty and solid and it does "serve a common lawful purpose" and is not a "blackjack". It may be a little bulky though.

Actually, the perfect solution is a compact firearm, carried by someone with the training and the will and the situational awareness to use it.

A 4-D Maglite is far too big and heavy to bury in a purse.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    .....but your better off with pepper spray or a electronic incapacitation device (taser).
    I don't think tasers are legal. He already said they tried pepper spray.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I don't think tasers are legal. He already said they tried pepper spray.
    Tasers are not legal. If by Taser you mean the kind that the cops have which shoot tethered electrodes (I think it's what their called). However the kind that are like cattle prods, which you press against the skin are legal. They are on Ebay for cheap.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast