Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Scotia Range Report 6/9/2012

Went out to Scotia Range this morning and when I got to the range Road, there was a large Road Closed Sign with a couple of orange cones at the entrance. The sign and cones were moved out of the center of the road and I could tell that traffic has just been going around the sign so I decided to venture back towards the range. I was back at the range 2 weekends ago and the signs were not there and they were not working on the road. It appears that they are grading the road. The road has been in need of repair due the amount of potholes. Anyway, I get back to the range, there was a large cement barrier blocking the entrance down to the parking behind the auxiliary ranges.

Does anyone have any idea if the range is closed or why was the cement barrier there? Or When the road will officially open back up again? Does the game commission have a place where they post range closure/announcements?

I got the range at about 7:40 and parked outside the range and looked around, I had the chance to collect a shit ton of brass. I picked up about 150 .40 SW and about 75 45acp cases. I guess some people don't believe in policing their brass. The target stands all seemed to be in decent shape at the auxiliary ranges and there was no trash at either ranges so that is always great seeing people clean up after themselves.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Scotia Range Report 6/9/2012

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

This is the SGL Regs. You should be able to find the contact info for your local ranger station from there. I asked a WCO about how to find the current status of a range, and he told me to call the local station.

BTW, I used to hate non-policers, but have some appreciation for them now that I reload. I ALWAYS leave with more brass than I came with. My parents told me to return borrowed property in better condition than I got it. Since we all own the ranges, I need to make sure that your range is in good shape.

Actually, I just got about 200/9mm and 50/.380 the other day.

(Centre County)

I saw something in the CDT a few weeks ago that they were working on that road. I don't believe it was game commission, i think it was DOT.

You can still get in from the other side I think.

Found it.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/0...-range-to.html

Slated to be done by end of June.

(Lawrence County)

Thanks for the CTD article, I do not subscribe to the paper but im glad that it was at least posted somewhere. The gate was actually closed from the gatesburg side, so thats kinda funny

(Centre County)

The impending road repairs have been posted on the main building door for a few weeks now. Makes me wish I'd actually written that letter about the potholes completely destroying my old car and sent them the bill. Still, the other entrance is open. Here's a link to the directions from the Grays Wood's entrance, if you didn't know.

Oh, and was that your pickup there the other day? It was the only one of the wrong side of the gate, big black thing with the spotlights over the roof?
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

(Lawrence County)

I only ever come in from the Grey's Wood's Side. The road closed sign was at the grey's woods entrance. I usually only go to scotia around 8am on Saturday mornings and use the Auxiliary range. I have used the pistol and rifle range inside the gates a handful of times, but I prefer going when it less busy in the mornings when the other ranges are not available.

It wasn't me in the Black Truck. I was drive a White Dodge Ram. If the truck was a black f150, then that was the man that came right after arrived at around 7:45

(Centre County)

I was there today(or yesterday, rather) with my dad. I only come in from Gatesburg side only.
    All ranges were open. It was almost empty. Only 3 other shooters we saw. Pretty good time I had u til some noobs showed up.

They have repaired these load before. But never closed the road up for a month. Wonder how they are repairing these road that requires them to close the road for so long...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

Apparently you didn't see the Grays Wood's entrance this year. one pothole was more of a ditch, spanned the entire road and was about eight inches deep . It tore a hole in my oil pan, which junked my car. It was downright dangerous to come in that side.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

(Centre County)

I was at the range this past Wenesday from around 4:00 to 6:00 (PM). I only used the main rifle range, but everything looked to be in order and there were only a couple other shooters there. I hadn't realized the road was closed from the north side until I'd gotten there, so it ended up taking me something like 35 minutes to get the range (normally takes 10 or so).

A gentleman coming off the range as I arrived seemed confused about the range hours, so for the record the current range hours are as follows:

Monday-Tuesday 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM
    Wednesday-Thursday 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM
    Friday-Sunday 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Also, there was a sign posted about the range being used for a YHEC event, which I believe is running this weekend (June 15-17). I would imagine that at least the rifle range will be reserved during the event.

As for those who don't police their brass - the Scotia range is the cleanest PGC range I've ever seen, and it irks me when people don't care to keep it that way - especially when I'm hunched over picking up my casings. I've noticed that most of the casings on the ground here are .22LR, which aren't exactly getting in the way, but it's the principle of the thing.

P.S. Just because your brass falls into the dirt instead of onto the concrete, it doesn't mean it's irrecoverable; if you're worried about getting your hands dirty, you might want to consider that digging into the dirt is like washing your hands given the lead that they collect while you're shooting.

(Centre County)

Couple of things. First, the road closing is reported on the Game Commission website: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...e__057_12.html

Reports road from Circleville & Meeks Lane (Grays Woods) closed from June 4 until end of June

Second, this page of Range Regulations (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2) indicates that the Scotia Range in ONLY open Wed-Sun from 8am until Sunset.

Not sure where the guy who posted the hours was getting them. If there is a better source of the official hours, perhaps someone will post that.

Lastly, I didn't shoot at all last year and so I was looking at the regs for this year and was surprised to see a range fee of $30 per year. Is everyone purchasing this range license or is this being ignored. Also seems very greedy to split the valid period right in the middle of the summer when most folks use the range.
    Last edited by aclaver; June 19th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast