Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reciprocity question (Kind of complicated)

OK, after looking into it, PA LTCF holders have recprocity with both TN and VA. I am probably going to be moving soon to TN, right on the border with VA but in TN. As I have my PA LTCF (resident) and it doesn't expire for awhile, would I be able to continue to carry in TN (and VA) with my PA LTCF? (Please note, both states appear to have reciprocity whether the PA license is res. or non-res.)
    Does moving out of PA in any way "void" my LTCF since it is a resident and not a non-resident license?

I am trying to figure out if I would need to get my TN license (or permit or whatever they call it down there) as soon as I move, or if I can wait until closer to the expiration date of my PA LTCF. Reason being, the TN license requires proof of TN residency (which I'm going to assume means I'm going to need a few months of rent/bills in TN to qualify for), and is a little expensive (about $125 I believe) AND requires a training class as well. I'd like to avoid all that until a little later if at all possible.
    Anyone know?
    Thanks in advance. And yes, I did search.
    Genesis 27:3
    Support Your Local Hawaiian Shirt Enthusiasts

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Reciprocity question (Kind of complicated)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    OK, after looking into it, PA LTCF holders have recprocity with both TN and VA. I am probably going to be moving soon to TN, right on the border with VA but in TN. As I have my PA LTCF (resident) and it doesn't expire for awhile, would I be able to continue to carry in TN (and VA) with my PA LTCF? (Please note, both states appear to have reciprocity whether the PA license is res. or non-res.)
    Does moving out of PA in any way "void" my LTCF since it is a resident and not a non-resident license?

I am trying to figure out if I would need to get my TN license (or permit or whatever they call it down there) as soon as I move, or if I can wait until closer to the expiration date of my PA LTCF. Reason being, the TN license requires proof of TN residency (which I'm going to assume means I'm going to need a few months of rent/bills in TN to qualify for), and is a little expensive (about $125 I believe) AND requires a training class as well. I'd like to avoid all that until a little later if at all possible.
    Anyone know?
    Thanks in advance. And yes, I did search.
    It's late so I'm not going to look up the cites right now, but IIRC there are two issues.

One is that without a TN license or permit you will be prohibited under the federal GFSZA from carrying within 1000' ft of a TN grade school (K-12).

Second is that although your LTCF is not automatically invalidated by moving out of state, if the issuing PA sheriff becomes aware that you are a resident of TN and that you don't hold a permit from TN, he or she is required to revoke your PA LTCF for not holding a permit from your home state (since it issues them).

So it's probably best to get the TN license/permit as soon as you can. In the mean time your PA LTCF is good through it's original expiration date unless sooner revoked.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

A new Tennessee resident has six months after establishing residency to obtain a Tennessee permit. In the mean time, Tennessee recognizes a license/permit from any state.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee.
    How many hoops you need to jump through depends on the state you are coming from. Pennsylvania's requirements, of course, are not "substantially similar." With a PA LTCF, you basically start from scratch since we have no training requirements:
    Applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee and be fingerprinted.

(Bucks County)

just my thoughts. no legal definition what so ever.

IMO, there are times to try to save a buck, but this ain't it..

could save you a lot of grief if you do it ASAP.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

Quote Originally Posted by 51158 View Post
    just my thoughts. no legal definition what so ever.

IMO, there are times to try to save a buck, but this ain't it..

could save you a lot of grief if you do it ASAP.
    I agree. I am going to try and get it asap, but money and time will definitely be tight for the next few months. Thanks all.

(Lawrence County)

Here's a question. Say I would move to TN. I have my PA ltcf, AND Utah CCW....

would i have to take the course if i hold the utah as well? seeing as how utah requires a course?
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    Here's a question. Say I would move to TN. I have my PA ltcf, AND Utah CCW....

would i have to take the course if i hold the utah as well? seeing as how utah requires a course?
    Their requirements, by state, are at http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml It looks like they don't accept Utah's training for some reason. The good news is that a resident Tennessee HCP provides as much reciprocity as you'll find anywhere.

As a former resident of PA and now living in TN I can tell you that TN will recognize your PA permit for a period of 6 months after moving to TN. After that time period you must obtain a TN handgun permit. I live right on the border of TN and VA and Va does honor TN permits. The class consists of a combination of classroom and live fire and can be taken with any handgun of your choosing. In fact, some of the schools will "loan" you a .22 to use for the live fire portion. You can pick up an application for your permit at the local DMV office. All in all it is a pretty painless experiance. Please feel free to pmm me if you should have any questions.

(Delaware County)

I moved to PA from TN for grad school and haven't quite left yet... You'll find that Tennessee's rules on obtaining a CC permit and where it can be carried are somewhat more stringent than PAs, much more, in fact. Be prepared to plop down around $300 for the permit (between training and application fees). Due to being a broke college student the entire time I was of legal age to carry, I never got one for that very reason.

Someone already mentioned you have 6 months, which I believe is right. The Dept. of Safety web site is pretty thorough in its explanations:

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.shtml

As for open carry, to the best of my recollection it is only permitted if you have a carry permit.

Also, for what it's worth, TN and PA only recently signed a reciprocity agreement. For the longest PA would accept TN, but not vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver400 View Post
    As a former resident of PA and now living in TN I can tell you that TN will recognize your PA permit for a period of 6 months after moving to TN. After that time period you must obtain a TN handgun permit. I live right on the border of TN and VA and Va does honor TN permits. The class consists of a combination of classroom and live fire and can be taken with any handgun of your choosing. In fact, some of the schools will "loan" you a .22 to use for the live fire portion. You can pick up an application for your permit at the local DMV office. All in all it is a pretty painless experiance. Please feel free to pmm me if you should have any questions.
    Thanks Driver. I'll be moving to the tri-cities area, so right up your alley. Church Hill, probably. I know what you mean about Va... when I was down in tri cities for a job interview, you drive across state lines without even knowing it A LOT lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast