Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hunters United For Sunday Hunting

Hunters United For Sunday Hunting - Time to do your part IF you want this option.

The legislative efforts for the last decade to repeal the ban on Sunday has gone no where and has been mired in politics.

Over the many decades most of the other blue laws prohibiting Sunday activity have been repealed by the legislators, except I believe the ban on shooting billiards (pool) and Sunday Hunting (SH) remain on the law books. No one enforces pool shooting ban but SH remains and a value recreational resource activity and modern wildlife management tool is not allowed to be used in PA in the 21st century.

The other part is youth hunter retention as older hunters are no longer able to hunt, we are not having them being replaced young hunters, without this youth hunter retention the rich PA heritage of hunting and conservation in the future maybe lost, along with it control of PA state game lands bought primarily with hunting license sales.

Hunters United For Sunday Hunting (HUSH) was formed to study and work together to repeal the 1873 blue law ban on the prohibition on Sunday hunting.

Please visit their web site here for more details, to help decide IF you will support this effort
    http://www.huntsunday.com/#

Part of their research HUSH have determined it was un constitutional powers exercised by that 1870’s era legislators to even ban Sunday hunting in the first place.

HUSH plans on taking this to the PA courts to resolve this matter about the constitutionality for this SH ban to remain in place.

Trouble is this takes lots of cash to litigate through the courts system, since the launch of this effort that collected quite a good bit from generous hunters donations, still more is required.

Please HUSH visit web site for more details http://www.huntsunday.com/#

After taking some time to study up on the subject, along with chances for success for the court challenge, you want to do your part to support the cause.

Figure out what the option to go Sunday hunting in PA is worth to you and send that amount as a donation to help fund the lawsuit.

Really what is an an extra Sunday and enjoyable memorable day a field hunting with family or friends worth to you?

Send that amount as a gift to help fund the lawsuit effort and do your part to allow you the option and freedom of choice to hunt on Sundays.

For many of US cash is tight still send what you can when you can to support the cause, even with enough small amounts it adds up with enough large support from enough hunters to big numbers.

IF after you visit the HUSH web site http://www.huntsunday.com/# you need more back ground info on SH ban

There are several thread of PAFOA about the legislative effort to legalize and repeal the blue laws about Sunday ban from the 1873 along with past history. Maybe a couple of these will help sway you opinion.

Sunday hunting article
    http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/16...g-article.html

Could Sunday hunting be on its' way? HB 1760
    http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/14...hb-1760-a.html

Public hearing on Sunday hunting June 9, 6:30pm in western pa
    http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/13...estern-pa.html
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Washington County)

Default Re: Hunters United For Sunday Hunting

Hunters United for Sunday Hunting organizes in Pennsylvania

Published: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 4:26 AM

By Mark Demko

Some Pennsylvania sportsmen hope they can add Sunday to their list of days to go hunting in the commonwealth.
    Just when it seemed as if the move to legalize Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania was once again dead, a new grassroots effort has emerged to try and overturn the decades-long ban prohibiting hunters from heading afield on the first day of the week.

Hunters United for Sunday Hunting, which launched May 7, is a volunteer run, nonprofit that's hoping to overturn the Sunday hunting ban by challenging its legality in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. The organization claims constitutional scholars have reviewed the state law that banned Sunday hunting and have determined that in light of past court rulings, the law would most likely be overturned if challenged.

"One of the things that we found that we think is critically important is our founding Constitution says we have the right to hunt in Pennsylvania," said HUSH director Kathy Davis, a former Quality Deer Management Association state board director and current associate director. "There have been several Constitutions since that particular Constitution; however, every Constitution says we've never lost the right.

"So if we've never lost the right then we still have the right to hunt in Pennsylvania, and surely they wouldn't say you have the right to bear arms except on Sundays or you have freedom of the press except on Sundays. Rights are subject to reasonable restrictions, and a day of the week is not a reasonable restriction."

The most recent effort to overturn the Commonwealth's Sunday hunting ban took place last year when State Rep. John Evans, a Republican serving Erie and Crawford counties, introduced a bill that would have given the Pennsylvania Game Commission the authority to permit Sunday hunting. Legislators subsequently held a series of hearings across the state to gauge public interest on overturning the ban, but opposition from various groups, including the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau, has resulted in no movement on the bill.

One of the primary reasons advocates give for legalizing Sunday hunting is that it will provide a new opportunity for recruitment and retention of new hunters, something that has become increasingly important as the number of hunters overall continues to decline. Davis said HUSH believes the extra day afield will help attract young hunters who have school, sports and extra-curricular activities Mondays through Saturdays, as well as benefit those hunters who have left the sport because of work and family commitments the other six days of the week.

"The Legislature's been dealing with (this issue) for over 20 years," Davis said."They had ample opportunity to pass this law and make Sunday hunting lawful and they haven't even voted on it."

According to HUSH, it's estimated that challenging the Sunday hunting ban in court will cost anywhere from $70,000 to $150,000. To help offset legal costs, the nonprofit is reaching out to sportsmen throughout Pennsylvania and other states, primarily through social media such as Facebook, encouraging them to support the cause. In the first month of its existence, the organization has received more than $10,000 in donations.

"We've had donations as small as $5 and as large as $500," Davis said. "Each of those is equally important in this because it doesn't matter how much the individual gave. The fact that they gave means they have a voice in this case."

In addition to Davis, longtime National Wild Turkey Federation state chapter director and former board of directors member Don Heckman serves as a HUSH director. The organization is currently in the process of choosing a third director. It also hired its attorney this week, and Davis said it hopes to file the case in court soon.

"We already wrote a legal brief that we took to the attorney," she said. "We know what the upside is and we know what the downside is, and we believe we have enough information to win."

Sportsmen and women interested in learning more about HUSH's efforts to overturn Pennsylvania's longstanding ban on Sunday hunting can visit the organization's website at www.huntsunday.com.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/spor...nday_hunt.html
    Last edited by huntsunday; June 10th, 2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added link to article

(Lebanon County)

In PA we have had contradictions on Sunday hunting for eons---I know the chaos for the past 60 years of hunting in PA.

Either the 1950's or 1960's, Chuck Hunting on Sunday was allowed. I am not sure when hunting chucks on Sunday was legal, but I know it has been for a long, long, long, long, long, long time, not legal.

I currently have 30 + homemade crow decoys and during the months of January and February I am out banging away at the crows, starting at first light on Sunday morning.

Where I hunt,the dairymen just love me---I can tell if there is an impact. The farmers AG BAGS are not torn to shreds by the crows.

The shooting with center fire rifles at Chucks (back in the 1950s, 1960s) and the 50 to 75 shotgun shells I go through currently on Sunday Morn, seem to be the farmer's best friend. They (who are they ???) keeping chipping away at my quality Sunday time. The Sunday chuck hunting is gone. Next it will be the crow hunting I do on a cold Sunday Morning. Come to think of it, it is not that cold when a couple of crows come into your set and you are blowing the right notes and pulling the trigger. Damn, how did I miss that one or bygollyandbejeezus, a double----I should say, a really rare double.

My opinion----fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; June 11th, 2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Corrections
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Washington County)

Groundhog hunting isn't yet legal in PA.

The species that I know are lawful with a valid PA license are:

Crows
    e. starlings
    e. sparrows
    fox
    coyote
    feral hogs
    fur bearers when trapping.

Many people think woodchuck are lawful. They are not.

(Lancaster County)

So they want us to hunt coyotes and feral hogs but STILL not with an effective modern rifle design? Insanity.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    So they want us to hunt coyotes and feral hogs but STILL not with an effective modern rifle design? Insanity.
    Whats insane is an imposition on our right to hunt by making Sunday a day where we can only hunt limited species.

Hunting is the ONLY remaining recreational activity that is unlawful to participate in 7 days a week.

We can drink on Sunday; gamble, go to a strip club- but we can't participate in a family building activity like hunting.

We can not hunt groundhogs on Sunday. How many of us grew up and groundhogs were one of the very first species we were allowed to kill? I know it was for me.

Groundhogs, then squirrel.

Our founding Constitution and Penn's Charter before that said "The inhabitants shall have the liberty to hunt and fowl in all seasonable times in land they own; and all other land therein not inclosed" (meaning public land)

What is not seasonable about a Sunday during the pheasant season? I must note that prior to 1873, it was lawful to hunt groundhogs, and squirrel and pheasant on Sunday.

In 1874; the citizens amended the Constitution to say that "The legislature shall make no special law that can be provided for by general law"

Well, we have done just that and created a pleothera of special laws for hunting on Sunday.

Time to take the challenge to the court. I'll be on here to answer any questions anyone has, and my email for this issue is huntsunday@gmail.com

Our website is www.huntsunday.com

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by huntsunday View Post
    In 1874; the citizens amended the Constitution to say that "The legislature shall make no special law that can be provided for by general law"

Well, we have done just that and created a pleothera of special laws for hunting on Sunday.

Time to take the challenge to the court.
    There it is... this statement pushed me off the fence. I've always supported the Sunday Hunting fight, but this statement gives me some confidence to donate to this cause now. Donation en route...

I have always supported Sunday hunting. Now, I would compromise to limit Sunday hunting too: State Game lands and private property only. Why? Because that would be a compromise with those who want state forests and parks, national parks, and forests available for non hunting recreational types. But along with that is no one could use Game Lands without a hunting license or a $100 permit use fee, per person, per year. And private property, well, it's yours so do with it as you wish. No hunting, hunting, invite friends whatever.

CL

(Washington County)

CL3; Thank you. If you send it via snail mail, please include your email so we can send you updates.

CL,

I have the state parks user study which clearly shows that state parks are utilized the least during what would be the peak of our hunting season.

In November, 3% of all state park use occurs. December and January are 2%.

Frankly, IF full inclusion were to happen (I don't see that right away- the Commissioners want slow inclusion); we are talking a total of TWO Sundays that MIGHT discourage other users due to high use by hunters; the Sunday in the middle of deer rifle and the Sunday of bear season.

The other Sundays would be low impact and low use. Sadly, we just don't have the small game hunters we used to have.

Neither DCNR nor the PGC keeps a database on hunter/non-hunter conflicts as they are exceptionally rare.

www.huntsunday.com

(Washington County)

I think all hunters have a "dog" in this fight.

We will contend that hunting is a fundamental right in Pennsylvania.

Some history:

• 1683 Penn’s Charter
    Penn asserts everyone shall have the right to hunt in PA on their own land and all lands not enclosed……( ) which led to the bill of rights/Constitution in PA http://avalon.law.yale.edu/17th_century/pa05.asp

• July 1776 PA Bill of Rights; PA Constitution; Founding document names hunting as a right under SECT. 43. The inhabitants of this state shall have liberty to fowl and hunt in seasonable times on the lands they hold, and on all other lands therein not inclosed; and in like manner to fish in all boatable waters, and others not private propertyhttp://www.nhinet.org/ccs/docs/pa-1776.htm

Naming hunting and fishing as inherent, natural rights should be high on everyone's priority list; even if hunting on Sunday doesn't matter to you. This case should accomplish both.

In Heller, Justice Stevens said the Pennsylvania Constitution and the Vermont Constitution were the framework for the Federal Constitution. As such, the right to bear arms for self protection and hunting would be a part of the FEDERAL Second Amendment. When SCOTUS mentions it, it affords hunting SOME protection. It will be afforded more once challenged and will strengthen the 2nd A. by including hunting. That is another of our aims.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast