Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Forum Rules & Enforcement Completely Re-vamped and updated.

Everything looks fine to me except for the profanity rule -- I don't like that at all.

The are some situations and circumstances that require a well-placed expletive -- and attempting to satisfy those situations with softer or rewritten language cheapens the intent and feeling behind the post. I've always considered PAFOA as one of the best places on the net to rant/rave about firearms/gun rights/ etc. Those topics hold a lot of emotion for me -- and sometimes they require profanity.

Online dialog has no conveyance of emotion. No tone of voice, no facial expression, no body language. Profanity can substitute for that, and it allows people to convey the real meaning underlying a post. Absent profanity, some posts fall flat.

Everyone here is an adult. We have all heard the "bad" words a million times. And with rare exception we all use them. Some of us more than others. Except for when I'm on the record in court, I'm renowned for being foul mouthed (even among lawyers, who make marines look like rank amateurs when it comes to profanity -- trust me on this one: until you've heard a 75 year old attorney who looks and sounds like your grandmother call you a "f---ing c---sucker," at the top of her lungs in front of a federal judge and just as the court reporter switches off her stenography machine and tape recorder you haven't heard profanity).

Really, honestly: Are there any delicate flowers here that are going to wilt at the prospect of a well-placed f-bomb?
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Dan, I totally see the need for this new rule system. However it's really sad we do need it. I think the old rules were VERY well written. It's a shame they weren't good enough.

(Cambria County)

Need a way of checking what our point totals are to see how close we are to being banned or getting spanked.

Do mods send warnings that we have such and such points?

Do we lose points for being good over time?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    It's growing pains guys...as the forum gets bigger, rules have to instituted that will protect the NPO as well as the members. I don't think the Admin is asking anything out of the ordinary. It's all just common sense and good forum etiquette...
    Preach it. My sentiments exactly. If you read the rules, they work for everyday life too. Expressing one's opinion is fine, trying to ram it down someone else's throat is generally excessive and actually detrimental. I saw it alot in the "what pisses me off" thread. I hope that some of the people expressing their opinions in that thread dont reguarly argue for second ammendment rights... sometimes it doesnt take much for me to wonder why some poeple think we are "gun nuts" and not firearms owners.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    Dan, I totally see the need for this new rule system. However it's really sad we do need it. I think the old rules were VERY well written. It's a shame they weren't good enough.

Naw…..
    It comes with the territory. PAFOA is growing very fast. When I joined in summerish (I forget) 2006, we had only about 500 members. The more we get, the greater the need for defined rules to govern order. That’s typical no matter where you go – forums, your employer, military, etc…
    This is normal.

Also keep in mind – PAFOA is INCORPORATED.
    We’re a NFP .org.

And if Doug has future plans to use our growing members’ voices, funds, whatever, as legislative leverage to help Pennsylvania gun owners…….his/our credibility can be quickly undermined if oppositions sifts through our threads and see childish name calling, severe profanity, or unreasonable personal attacks, etc…..
    Catch my drift?

I support Doug and PAFOA. He lets us say what we want……he just expects us to talk to one another as if we were shootin’ the bull at a nice restaurant table…..and NOT as if we were loaded at the bar of a local tavern.
    Last edited by Gary in Pennsylvania; February 22nd, 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Changed the name Dan to Doug.
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(York County)

2 questions, 2 comments...

Will I be informed of what i did wrong if i ever get points, or god forbid, banned???

Sometimes I post a good deal i see on computer related products (very rarely), Will that get me banned??? It's not like I make $ on anything, I just like sharing cash saving items to those of us who are not so well off or like saving $$$.

pending the answer to those questions, I like what I see with the new rules.

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    I'd rather stay as far away from this as possible but want to suggest something that's really been eating at my puppet. EXCESSIVE POSTING!!!

Is there any way to crackdown on excessive posting? I'd be the last person to complain over a one-liner, off topic. But there's been a massive influx of people treating posts like the Flashchat. I guess I am just tired of reading through a multi-page post and for 2 solid pages it's like.

Tard1: Oh Noes! I hope Tard2 doesn't see this!!
    Tard2: Hai. I got the PM's and wanted to add <insert something stupid here>
    Tard3: OMFG +1+1+1
    Tard1: I must spread it around before giving rep to Tard2 again.
    Tard2: Lolz, it's ok.
    Tard3: Don't worry Tard1, I got him for you.
    Tard1: BTW, Tard1, Tard2 are you coming to the TardTown OC dinner on Tuesday?

If it's not obvious, I am just absolutely freaking sick of reading through excess posts (things covered in another thread, or should be covered in a thread or PM. Meaning, NOT FREAKING RELEVANT TO ANYONE READING IT and least of all, to the thread at hand)

/k, rants over.

+1!!!!!!!
    YES!!!! rep for you my friend!!!!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You get a PM telling you what you did wrong, and how long your spanking is for.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Tard1: Oh Noes! I hope Tard2 doesn't see this!!
    Tard2: Hai. I got the PM's and wanted to add <insert something stupid here>
    Tard3: OMFG +1+1+1
    Tard1: I must spread it around before giving rep to Tard2 again.
    Tard2: Lolz, it's ok.
    Tard3: Don't worry Tard1, I got him for you.
    Tard1: BTW, Tard1, Tard2 are you coming to the TardTown OC dinner on Tuesday?
    I'll be damned if thats not a fantastic post D-Fens.

I think that threads made where people basically say.. "Hey! I'll give you positive rep if you give me positive rep" should be handled like the rest of the SPAM on here.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lawrence County)

I give it a week... before I'm banned... lol

I've never been banned before... And if I do infact get banned, am I no longer allowed to go to the group shoots? Would I have to take PAFOA off of my personal business cards and my resume of organizations I belong to?

Chazmanyvariablesman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Chester County)

My hats off to the PAFOA management! I read through the rules. I love 'em!

They appear to be very well written and thought out. I wish all forum owners cared as much as they do.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast