Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Finnish M39 & 7.62x54R Ammo

I've only shot surplus ammo out of two Mosins I've owned. Recently I picked up a Fin M39 with a pristine bore and crown. I ran some surplus through it to check out it's accuracy. I was pleasantly pleased with the groups over my previous Mosins.

My question is: Will better ammo really group any better in my M39 over surplus?
    There are a dozen or so factory new brands available, from inexpensive Silver Bear (@ $10/20), all the way up to Hornady (@$27/20). I know without trying it I won't know for sure, but I'll take what info I can find prior to going down that road.

BTW, I'll always be shooting it with iron sights from off-hand and prone.
    Last edited by Hawk; June 14th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Finnish M39 & 7.62x54R Ammo

Simple answer is yes. But you wont know unless you do some expirmentation with different weights and manufacturers.

Example is my M39 likes Russian lightball and Polish Lightball and I get pretty good groups for surplus. However it does not like Bulgarian and Wolf Gold. the groups open up about 3-4 inches from a rest.

experiment and determine what's acceptable to you, then work up some loads and watch yourself get addicted to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeed Valkyrie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    ... Will better ammo really group any better in my M39 over surplus? ...
    BTW, I'll always be shooting it with iron sights from off-hand and prone.
    Simple answer is yes. But you wont know unless you do some expirmentation with different weights and manufacturers.

experiment and determine what's acceptable to you, then work up some loads and watch yourself get addicted to it.
    To put a fine point on this, eliminate as many variables as possible. If you can't hold a rifle steady enough to hit anything smaller than a saucer at 100 yards, it'll be difficult to measure improvement. You'll never know if the ammunition is capable of 1 minute of an angle.

Ammunition testing 101:
    Placing that same rifle in a machine rest, or even a commercial rifle rest will provide a stable platform, and yield meaningful results.

When held like this, your groups will be a quantitative* representation of how the ammunition truly performs in *your* rifle.

* For a review of quantitative v. qualitative, see http://regentsprep.org/REgents/math/.../qualquant.htm
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Westmoreland County)

With ammo it likes it will shoot very well 1-2 moa is doable I had a 1968 dated M39 and it shot great with handloads, surplus ran 2-4 moa depending on the flavor. Either load for it or start buying different varieties of available ammo and see what it likes .

(Beaver County)

Might even be worth reloading for it, if you are looking for the most accurate results.I don't yet but have been shooting BrownBear match 174 grain which is grouping well for me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    With ammo it likes it will shoot very well 1-2 moa is doable I had a 1968 dated M39 and it shot great with handloads, surplus ran 2-4 moa depending on the flavor. Either load for it or start buying different varieties of available ammo and see what it likes .
    Thanks Tim for the info. It shoots 3 MOA now with the surplus. I don't want to bother reloading for it, but I'd like to squeak out another 1 MOA (if possible) by using factory new ammo. In addition, by going with non-corrosive ammo, I won't have to deal with the cleaning process required for the surplus ammo.
    Toujours prêt

(Westmoreland County)

Unfortunately theres not a huge selection of new factory ammo to choose from but whats available do tend to shoot better than surplus ball. I can see not wanting to reload for it but if you want it to shoot up to its capabilities thats the way to go. BTW the PPU and S&B tend to be better than the Wolf or Brown Bear and have brass cases that if you choose to reload you have or you can sell it off at a decent price.

(Lehigh County)

PPU and Wolf gold are the same.

I agree with the frustration on limited choices for commercial loads. I shoot with an older gentleman who is really exact on loads for his M39 and has it down to quarter size groups from a rest at 100 yards. Best results for me so far have been half dollar on a good day and Softball sized when the gun gods are mad at me. However both are acceptable since its a range gun.