Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Hi Point 9mm Carbine Range Review

So today my buddy and I took the Hi Point 9mm carbine out to wicens to do some shooting. Its the first time we fired the gun and I know alot has been asked on the quality and I thought I'd give my point of view from putting 150 rounds through it.

First, the sights on the gun are great. Very similar to that of a peep sight on an M1 garand or even an AR. At the standard setting, the gun shot about 9'' or so to the right, but the elevation was great. I kept adjusting the sights until it shot right on, and then the sighting and shots came pretty consistant.

Next thing I noticed was the trigger. It was a bit stiff and had a crisp pull, but the creep until you got right before where the mechanism engages is definately annoying. It has the ability to throw your shot off.

Next is the magazine for the carbine. It fits flush with the grip, and is a pain to get it to seat all the way. The best way is to lock the bolt to the rear, insert the mag and go. A little adjusting and it worked well. We had no FTF or FTE caused by the mag or the action itself. The ergonomics of the grip and carbine itself arent too bad either, despite what other people say.

And finally, the gun was pretty accurate for a 9mm at 100 yards. It shot about 5'' inches or so as a group, which wasnt as good as my AK, but still respectable. All in all, the Hi point gets a B+, and for the price, you cant beat it. There is one left at Tanners for $275 if anyone wants a cheap fun firearm.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Hi Point 9mm Carbine Range Review

Thanks for the report. I've had mine for a while now and still haven't found the time to shoot it yet. I thought this might be a good place to ask a question though. I know with most guns, handguns anyway, it is preferable to clean them before their first use, especially if they are packed with grease in the slide. Did you need to clean the Hi-Point carbine at all before using it or were you pretty much able to take it right out of the box and use it? Also did you do any cleaning after shooting it? I've heard it's hard to take down so some people do it less often than they would a regular semi-auto pistol.

Those things are built like tanks. Ive heard of people running thousands upon thousands of round through them and never cleaning them without issue.

And yes they are a pain to strip down. (ive purchased 3 HP's, including the carbine)
    [account deactivated]

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Thanks for the report. I've had mine for a while now and still haven't found the time to shoot it yet. I thought this might be a good place to ask a question though. I know with most guns, handguns anyway, it is preferable to clean them before their first use, especially if they are packed with grease in the slide. Did you need to clean the Hi-Point carbine at all before using it or were you pretty much able to take it right out of the box and use it? Also did you do any cleaning after shooting it? I've heard it's hard to take down so some people do it less often than they would a regular semi-auto pistol.
    The owners manual actually says to not bother with any cleaning until after 1,500 rounds. I took mine apart after about 450 rounds, and it was filthy! It must be built like a tank to keep on tickin' looking the way it did! I did, however, run a snake through mine before I shot it for the first time, just to make sure there was nothing in the bore.

Takedown is not overly complicated, but it is not something you would want to do in the field, and your hands, and everything you or it touches, will be black, so spread out the old newspapers (not something you would want to do sitting on the couch watching TV, unless, of course, you don't want to be married).

(Lehigh County)

Plus one here on this great little ugly rifle
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Northampton County)

I agree great rifle for the money. I've put close to 500 hundred rounds down mine since I got it, no problems what so ever even with tul ammo.(ate it right up) I agree with the op about the sights I think they work great! I was thinking about putting a red dot on it but after shooting it I don't see the point. I don't have the trouble with the trigger although. Mine is a very short ride and breaks crisp. I did buy mine used so maybe a couple hundred more rounds would do it some justice. As stated the mags aren't the best but I haven't had any issues with the 3 that came with it when I got it. I did notice that holding the rifel at a angle when putting the mag in does help sit it in there faster. Have fun with it!
    Last edited by lhowland.40; June 11th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.

(Lehigh County)

i had mine for a few years. i put a 3x9 scope on it and a bipod on it last year. it's still one of my favorite guns to plink at the range. never had a ftf, even my crappy reloads, when i was first learning reloading worked with this rifle. with the scope, it's very consistent with shot placement. here's a pic of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

When we first got the carbine we took it apart and cleaned it and lubricated it. I generally do this with all my firearms because I don't like the metal on metal contact that occurs when you dont have any lubricant on generally the bolt or in the barrel.

In theory, you could run thousands of rounds through the rifle without cleaning because it is a direct blowback design. There isn't any gas being recirculated back towards the bolt to foul it up. Besides, the takedown isn't something I'd want to do after every range trip.

Has anybody seen any hi-cap mags coming out for the Hi-Point?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddevdaman View Post
    ...Has anybody seen any hi-cap mags coming out for the Hi-Point?
    Pro-mag makes 15 rounders. I picked up two of them at the last Oaks show for $25 each. I haven't used them yet. I believe you just have to make sure you're getting the newer generation of them (model HIP-A3 I think) as the previous ones were unreliable.

(Dauphin County)

I've picked up three ProMag 15 rounders at Cabella's (one in Hamburg and two in Wheeling). All have worked 99.5%. I try to carefully load them and tap them several times afterward to make sure they are all lined up. The first round must be locked into the the pointed up position in the feed lips for reliable feeding. Altogether, I've run about 705 rounds using the ProMags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast