Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Any CCing/pocket carrying an LC9?

What do you guys think of it? I am looking for a backup gun, or a gun to carry when I really care about CCing and was looking at the LCR, LCP and then I stumbled across the LC9 on the Ruger website. Any of you folks carrying the LC9? Pocket carrying it?

The Specs show that the LCP is obviously the smallest, but the LC9 does not seem to be a whole lot bigger.

What do you guys think?

LCR
    Height:4.5"
    Width: Can't find on website
    Length: 6.5"
    Weight: 13.5oz-17.1oz

LCP
    Height: 3.6"
    Width: 0.82"
    Length: 5.16"
    Weight: 9.4oz-10oz

LC9
    Height: 4.5"
    Width: 0.9"
    Length: 6"
    Weight: 17.1oz-17.7oz
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Any CCing/pocket carrying an LC9?

Have you looked at them in person and held them? I would recommend it. I held an LCP and an LC9 and while on paper they seem pretty close in size, when you actually put each one in your hand, the difference seems more pronounced, at least in my opinion. It was almost as if the LCP was just perfect, and the while the LC9 wasn't much bigger, it was just enough to cross that line where I felt that it wouldn't do well in a pocket. Sort of a "straw that broke the camel's back" scenario so to speak. I guess it depends on your needs. I actually ended up purchasing a Taurus TCP instead if the Ruger LCP. It looks almost exactly the same, but was considerably cheaper. I got mine with the stainless slide and I really like the look of it. And so far I've put 100 rounds through it with no issue.

All in all, I would recommend that you check them out in person if possible, and consider how each one would fit the role that you are looking to fill.
    2A351

(Lehigh County)

Last year I was in the same boat, looking for a pocket pistol. I liked the idea of the lc9 a lot -- a pocket pistol with a formidable round.

After going to the store and putting the lc9 in a holster and in my pocket, I decided it wouldn't work for my needs (it needed to be invisible in dress pants). The lc9 in my pocket looked exactly like a pocket that has a gun in it. It had clear printing on every strong side step, and looked odd when standing still. It was also pretty uncomfortable for me.

All of that is opinion and you milage may vary, but given that the models you are looking at are pretty common, you should be able to track them down in some gunshops and try them out and see how they work for you.

I ended up with a Taurus tcp (same size as the LCP) and it has served its function very well.

Edit: as it turns out, this post was pretty much 100% redundant. Sorry

(York County)

I carry an LC9 in my front pocket. I do not carry every day though. (not permitted to carry at work) I carry with a Blackhawk #4 pocket holster. Seems to work okay for me. My wife or stepson don usually realize that I have it with me till I tell them.
    Live Free or Die! FJB!!!

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

The length of that LC9 slide will make pocket carry a little problematic unless you're going to be wearing cargo pants. I think you need to be sub 6" for blue jeans / dress pants--closer to 5.5". (Not saying you can't do it, just that it won't be 'invisible'.)

If you want an 'invisible' pocket gun, you have to step down to .380 -- LCP, Bodyguard, Kahr P380, etc.

Check out this chart for some ideas: http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

(Montgomery County)

I can't comment on the specific guns mentioned as I never owned any of them. However, I had a Kel Tec PF9 that I pocket carried all the time in my blue jeans. I had it in a pocket holster which broke up the print of the gun and made your pocket look like it just had a wallet in it. I bring this up because the PF9 looks to be just about the same length, height, width, and weight as the guns mentioned. I’ve since sold that gun in order to get something different, but will be buying another PF9 to pocket carry again.

Also, when considering pants to pocket carry, check out the loose fitting Wrangler blue jeans at Wal-Mart. The pockets are slightly larger than most other jeans I’ve used so far which makes it easier to get your hand inside to draw. Plus, the darker the jeans, the better for printing…Just my thoughts..
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Luzerne County)

I had a LC9 and mostly it was in a IWB holster. Very comfortable but I tried it in a pocket and it's just a little too much. In an emergency, it won't work with dress pants for a fast retrieval IMO. I've practiced drawing the gun from the pocket and between the size of my and and the gun it didn't work. LCP is a little smaller and while I haven't owned one, it might be a good fit.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Thanks for all of the input guys. It seems that, based on your own experiences, the LC9 may not be the ideal gun for pocket carry, but I will take your suggestions and actually handle them all; small differences do matter in numbers when you are trying to drop it into a pocket .

I will also look in Taurus. I am always up for quality firearms at a lower price point.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    Thanks for all of the input guys. It seems that, based on your own experiences, the LC9 may not be the ideal gun for pocket carry, but I will take your suggestions and actually handle them all; small differences do matter in numbers when you are trying to drop it into a pocket .

I will also look in Taurus. I am always up for quality firearms at a lower price point.
    Check out the Taurus TCP if you're interested in .380. Almost as invisible as the LCP, but the trigger is better.

I use the LC9 as my everyday carry IWB. It's perfect for me for carrying this way. I tried in the pocket and it just did not seem right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast