Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Question about Tennessee carry.

I will be going to Tennessee on vacation next week. I plan to carry. I will be riding a motorcycle. Since my friends and I do stop for a beer now and then when riding, does anybody know if this prohibition in the TN carry laws would prohibit me from locking the gun in my portable lock box which is then locked in the saddle bag? Or, can I not even have it on the property? " It is unlawful to possess a firearm on the premises of a public place where alcoholic beverages are served. "
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Pike County)

Default Re: Question about Tennessee carry.

I would go and ask that question here....

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/

Great place to start with.

OK so here you go...copy and paste is my friend.....

There are basically 5 places that are off limits by TN law for those with a HCP to carry.
    *Click LexisNexis TN code and go to the code number to see the actual law for any possible exceptions or specifics
    ■In any room where a judicial proceeding is taking place. (39-17-1306)

■Schools. (39-17-1309 and 39-17-1310)

■Some local public Parks and recreational property. (39-17-1311) See this thread (Not a complete list)

■Any Penal Institution (39-16-201)

■Any place properly posted per 39-17-1359
    Note on Restaurant Carry and Posting per 39-17-1359 The veto of SB3012 was overridden by the Senate on 05/27/10 and the House on 06/04/10. This bill repeals 39-17-1305 and therefore allows carry in places that serve alcohol so long as your not consuming (39-17-1321) or as long as the place is not posted per 39-17-1359

This bill also changed 39-17-1359 and allows the "International No" symbol along with the picture of a handgun (example) to act as a legal posting alone or with a sign.

For details see Public Chapter 1009 (Effective June 4, 2010)

You can see all the TN Laws at Michie's Legal Resources Weapons laws can be found under Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13

The "International NO" sign they are talking about is basically a ghost busters sign, just replace the ghost with a handgun.

Now, I travel to see my folks in TN. a few times a year. I carry From here to TN, EXCEPT for the 15 minutes to go through Maryland.
    I have carried in many establishment that had beer and bars, BUT I do not drink any beer/whiskey etc.
    In your situation, I would not lock a handgun in the lock box in the saddle bag. All it takes is one asshat to see you locking it up and wait to steal it.

And lastly...going to try the DRAGON????
    Last edited by Snert; June 6th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Question about Tennessee carry.

Thanks for the info. Yes I will be scraping my foot boards on the Dragon. I've been going down there every year for the past 4 years. Lots of good riding in the mountains.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."