Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Searching for a Rifle Range / Gun Club / Sportsman's Club to Join

I live in the city itself, near Bloomfield, and am currently looking to join a private club to get range time with a few rifles. I'm from Cleveland and have lived here for about three years, so I don't know anyone in the clubs I know of that would sponsor me.

Is anyone aware of public outdoor ranges close to the city, private ranges that don't require a sponsor, or a gun club that would accept me without a sponsor?
    I'm sure in time I could find a sponsor, but in short time I would like to find a decent place to get some rifle range time.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Searching for a Rifle Range / Gun Club / Sportsman's Club to Join

Quote Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post
    I live in the city itself, near Bloomfield, and am currently looking to join a private club to get range time with a few rifles. I'm from Cleveland and have lived here for about three years, so I don't know anyone in the clubs I know of that would sponsor me.

Is anyone aware of public outdoor ranges close to the city, private ranges that don't require a sponsor, or a gun club that would accept me without a sponsor?
    I'm sure in time I could find a sponsor, but in short time I would like to find a decent place to get some rifle range time.
    PMSC is arguably the best club in the area requires sponsors. But from my understanding you can usually get someone to sponsor you at the monthly membership meeting.

BTW the meeting is tonight for this month.

http://www.pmsconline.com/

Here is a thread where multiple users here state you can usually get a sponsor at the meeting.

http://forum.pafoa.org/allegheny-27/...c-members.html

There is a state game land range in Wexford PA, It's open to the public, but you do have to have a PA hunters licence or range use permit ($30). I used to shoot there as it was close to my home before they started requiring the use permits. At that time I stopped going primarily because of unsafe shooters and lack of maintenance. It seems both the issues of unsafe shooters and maintenance are getting better with the permit system, but there are still mixed reports out there about the range.

SGL website - http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2
    Last edited by QuackXP; June 6th, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    There is a state game land range in Wexford PA, It's open to the public, but you do have to have a PA hunters licence or range use permit ($30). I used to shoot there as it was close to my home before they started requiring the use permits. At that time I stopped going primarily because of unsafe shooters and lack of maintenance. It seems both the issues of unsafe shooters and maintenance are getting better with the permit system, but there are still mixed reports out there about the range
    The Wexford SGL is a decent place to shoot and when I used to go there, was generally in good repair. However the crowds and unsafe shooting eventually drove me to a private club. My club (Millvale Sportsmen's) is across the valley from the Wexford SGL range and you can hear the gunfire almost constantly on the weekends so I think it's still a pretty busy place. I've heard second- and third-hand that there's still some questionable safety encountered, but I haven't been there in almost two years. OTO, membership in a private club doesn't mean people will behave any better. You have to watch out no matter where you shoot.

In any case, PSMC is the closest club to the Bloomfield area I'm aware of. If you're itching to shoot and don't mind paying the premium, Anthony Arms is supposed to be a decent place too.
    Last edited by Argentum; June 7th, 2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: fix typo
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Anthony Arms is supposed to be a decent place too.
    I shot there once when I first moved here (only thing I could find in the yellow pages before I discovered the SGL and made friends and joined PMSC). Having to buy their ammo I could have paid for PMSC with the restoration of the $100 initiation fee in three range sessions and I did not shoot allot.

Nice facilities but damn expensive.