Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default I want your opinion about a Kimber 1911.

I will be in the market for a 1911 very soon and have been doing research on a few different 1911s. Kimber has quite the collection of 1911s to choose from and I know some of you have a Kimber or have had a Kimber and I know everyone has an opinion about them. What do you have, why do you like it (or what do you not like), and do you have any suggestions on one.

The purpose of the gun will be OC/CC (and thus target shooting as well).

Thanks for the opinions.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Default Re: I want your opinion about a Kimber 1911.

1. What is your budget?

2. Do you want the name or do you want a work horse?

Kimber is a great firearms maker. No doubt about it. And everyone in the business has their faults and pitfalls. I have heard that some Kimbers have plastic bushings. Now I don't know if this is true or not, but I also know that if it is. It can be changed out.

Personally if I was looking for a firearm for the specifications you listed in the OP. I'd say get a work horse and not a possible safe queen. I know someone who carries a Kimber Pro Carry II and it is really nice. But IMO it looks too nice for said purpose.

If you want to spend the bucks on the name go right ahead, that is your choice. If you want to save some bucks and buy more ammo or accessories buy something such as a Rock Island 1911...

hey man,

you're honestly better off getting 1911 info at 1911forums.com.

I'm a 1911 shooter, carrier, competitor, etc. It really depends what you want to do with it. Kimber makes a decent product, but pays a TON of money in advertising, so they pass that on to you. Honestly, you can get more quality for less money.

I have owned a few and liked them, and when my night sights got dim on a TLE 2 I bought used, they subbed them out quickly and for free.

That said, I no longer own any. I found much better values out there in the STI, Les Baer, Springfield market and have stuck with that. I picked up a used Les Baer for less than the cost of a used Kimber (seriously).

You're local to me. If you ever want to check out some quality I'd be happy to meet up with you at the range or something.

Be warned, by posting about "which 1911 for me" you will get 100 replies and 200 answers. Pick one you like that you can afford from any major brand, shoot it till you trust it and know how to run it, and then enjoy!

(Chester County)

I've owned a Kimber Stainless Raptor for about 4 years now. I love it.

I've probably got about 1200 rounds through it. It's my winter carry gun, paired with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and a Crimson Trace grip on it.

It's reliable, it's heavy enough to soak up the .45 recoil, and the checkering is strong enough to get a grip but not sharp enough to cut up my hands.

I also own a Sig 1911, a Springfield TRP, and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I'd probably say the Kimber is my favorite.

PATom wrote - I also own a Sig 1911, a Springfield TRP, and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I'd probably say the Kimber is my favorite.

456 - Thats saying a mouthrful the other 1911s you own have such great reputations. I own a old classic custom II Kimber like you I like it a lot this one was made before they raised the price and it not as decked out as your Raptor. But its been around sincethe 1990s and is a fine 1911. I also own S&W E series, Ruger SR1911, Colt Series 70 Commander and a decked out SAm. The Kimber is one of my favorites and its straight from the factory.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 6th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    1. What is your budget?

2. Do you want the name or do you want a work horse?

Kimber is a great firearms maker. No doubt about it. And everyone in the business has their faults and pitfalls. I have heard that some Kimbers have plastic bushings. Now I don't know if this is true or not, but I also know that if it is. It can be changed out.

Personally if I was looking for a firearm for the specifications you listed in the OP. I'd say get a work horse and not a possible safe queen. I know someone who carries a Kimber Pro Carry II and it is really nice. But IMO it looks too nice for said purpose.

If you want to spend the bucks on the name go right ahead, that is your choice. If you want to save some bucks and buy more ammo or accessories buy something such as a Rock Island 1911...
    I don't necessarily have a set budget. I tend to find what I like and then either get it if it is in my current budget, or save for it if it is a bit more than what I can afford at the moment.

I am certainly not looking for a gun with the primary purpose of it being a show piece. I am looking for a reliable gun that I can shoot a lot and will go bang when I need it to, but if it also looks like a nice gun, I have no problem with that.

Kimber is definitely not the only brand of 1911 that I am looking at, just one of many, including RI and Citadel. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    hey man,

you're honestly better off getting 1911 info at 1911forums.com.

I'm a 1911 shooter, carrier, competitor, etc. It really depends what you want to do with it. Kimber makes a decent product, but pays a TON of money in advertising, so they pass that on to you. Honestly, you can get more quality for less money.

I have owned a few and liked them, and when my night sights got dim on a TLE 2 I bought used, they subbed them out quickly and for free.

That said, I no longer own any. I found much better values out there in the STI, Les Baer, Springfield market and have stuck with that. I picked up a used Les Baer for less than the cost of a used Kimber (seriously).

You're local to me. If you ever want to check out some quality I'd be happy to meet up with you at the range or something.

Be warned, by posting about "which 1911 for me" you will get 100 replies and 200 answers. Pick one you like that you can afford from any major brand, shoot it till you trust it and know how to run it, and then enjoy!
    Thanks for the offer. I may have to take you up on that sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTom View Post
    I've owned a Kimber Stainless Raptor for about 4 years now. I love it.

I've probably got about 1200 rounds through it. It's my winter carry gun, paired with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and a Crimson Trace grip on it.

It's reliable, it's heavy enough to soak up the .45 recoil, and the checkering is strong enough to get a grip but not sharp enough to cut up my hands.

I also own a Sig 1911, a Springfield TRP, and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I'd probably say the Kimber is my favorite.
    I have seen the scaling on the Raptor and wondered how it felt to shoot it. I didn't know anyone that had one, so I appreciate that info. Also, nice choice on the Crossbreed ST...love those holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    PATom wrote - I also own a Sig 1911, a Springfield TRP, and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I'd probably say the Kimber is my favorite.

456 - Thats saying a mouthrful the other 1911s you own have such great reputations. I own a old classic II Kimber like you I like it a lot this one was made before they raised the price and it not as decked out as your Raptor. But its been around sincethe 1990s and is a fine 1911. I also own S&W E series, Ruger SR1911, Colt Series 70 Commander and a decked out SAm. The Kimber is one of my favorites and its straight from the factory.
    Good to hear from people with multiple 1911s, it helps when I am looking at a whole slew of them.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Northampton County)

I think a lot comes in to play when you look at the price range you want to be in.

For me, my Custom II was my very first gun purchase and I didnt want to spend $1000+ to get going (was really in the $600 range).

My original plan was to buy the RIA 2011 Tactical w/ night sights, but a terrible buying experience brought me to another shop where I got my Kimber. At the $760 price that I paid, there are certainly other options, but in terms of fit, finish, and overall quality, the Kimber was the better choice. Should I ever want to sell, it also holds a higher resale value.

Additionally, for me, starting out with their absolute base model allowed me to learn the gun, and decide what I liked/didnt like about it. Sure I could have purchased it with Mepro's for an additional $100+ but I quickly discovered I liked the TruGlo TFO's better so that saved me $ quite quickly.

Basically all Kimbers are the same except for the "cosmetics" (yes some have a little more hand fitting)
    Last edited by IntenseImage; June 6th, 2012 at 12:58 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I have been a Kimber fan for a while. I have a TLE/RL II and Tactical Pro II. The TLE is an all steel 5 inch gun with an integrated rail light mount. The Tactical Pro II is 4 inch gun and has an aluminum frame. I just got the Pro and it has to be one of the smoothest guns I’ve handled directly from the factory. I also have a Wilson CQB and Springfield Micro-compact, which are both excellent guns. The micro-compact is surprisingly easy to shoot (for a 3 inch gun) and it too has an aluminum frame. It is designed for CC, but I have competed in a few IDPA matches with it. You need to put some thought into what you are going to do with it. Since 1911s are my primary carry gun, I wanted options and backup. For CC, you might find a 3 or 4 inch gun is much easier to carry and conceal for longer periods of time. However you pay a price in recoil and controllability. All solved by practice and perhaps some grip strengthen exercises. With that said, you can also get used to carrying a 5 inch 1911 all day and the extra weight helps with recoil. The 4 inch is the best compromise on weight and accuracy.

With regard to Kimbers, if this is a gun you are going to shoot a lot, meaning something you want to have around for a while, I’d recommend getting an all steel gun. You’ll find the gun will hold up better. Unfortunately that means added weight regardless of size. You are also going to want to see the gun and try the trigger. The trigger on my Pro II rivals that of my custom Wilson, for half the price. However, I have seen some Pro Carry’s with terrible triggers. Availability you’ll find to be hit and miss. You probably find dealers do not have them, then all of a sudden get a ton of them. They can take 6-12 months to get one if you order from a dealer. I had been looking for the tactical pro II for 9 months before I found one.

(Montgomery County)

What size 1911 do you want? Do you want a 5 inch barrel or a Commander or a 4" barrel? Do you want a steel frame or an aluminum frame? Please give us a little insight into exactly what type of 1911 you are looking for.

I also second the suggestion that you check out the 1911forum. Lots of good info. over there on all the manufactures.

As a Kimber owner I will say this, I do NOT like the quality I see on the new guns as compared to the older ones. Mine is a series I Custom and I love it, the newer ones? not so much.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast