Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (McKean County)

Angry New York Ammunition Sale Blocked to Non Resident

Good evening all. This evening I was refused purchase of 9mm handgun ammuntion at Walmart in the state of New York due to being a PA resident. They first required that I provide a valid pistol permit. I provided a valid Pennsylvania handgun permit and was immediately told that I could not purchase the ammuniton due to being out of state and that New York state does not honor any other state permits. I noticed behind the clerk that they have a sign stating that this practice is "Federal Law" and outlined various criteria to obtain ammunition. I can find nothing of the sort posted anywhere and feel that this is merely store policy. I contacted the Walmart corp office and filed a complaint. Can anyone verify that they can or can not do this? Even more importantly can they legally post the sign stating that the policy is "Federal Law"? Thanks for any help with this!

(Indiana County)

Default Re: New York Ammunition Sale Blocked to Non Resident

Is it federal law? No.

Is it state law? Yes.

In the Peoples' Republic of New York you can't buy pistol ammunition unless you're legally authorized to possess such a pistol.

Oh, you're from Pennsylvania? You can't legally possess a pistol in New York, so you're SOL.

Next time tell them it's for a rifle, not a pistol. That should work. NYS WalMarts won't sell you without a NYS permit knowing it's for a pistol. If it's for a rifle, like a 9mm carbine rifle, they can't hold back from selling it to you nor can they demand the presentation of a NYS permit. Living in PA and coming to NY, it's hard to comprehend. But that's the way it is in the less than free states.

(Pike County)

I go to the Orange County Fairgrounds gun show in NY all the time. I have never been asked for ID to purchase ammo of any kind there, nor have I ever seen this happen. I have gone to this show at least 50 times.
    Different for shows or non-FFL sellers?

(Lackawanna County)

ive bought a shitload of pistol ammo at the gander mountain in middletown ny. They sometimes ask for a pistol permit sometimes dont. I really only buy 10mm there though since its hard to find locally.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    ive bought a shitload of pistol ammo at the gander mountain in middletown ny. They sometimes ask for a pistol permit sometimes dont. I really only buy 10mm there though since its hard to find locally.
    Gander has never asked me, neither have any small shops in Dutchess County.

NYC is different - they want a permit, DNA sample and one of your kidneys!

(McKean County)

Thanks guys for the responses. I received a call from the store manager promptly Friday morning at 8:15. He claimed that he was unaware of the "federal Law" sign in his sporting goods section nor the out-of-state blocking and planned to check into it. I nicely let him know that there is no such Federal law and what the store was doing was illegal. I think, but I am not positive that I heard him drop the phone . I let him know that I had proper identification as well a valid handgun permit. I plan to visit another NY store today to see if they are using the same practice there. I did also check my local PA store and there is nothing posted about the purchase of ammunition whatsoever. I will let you know what I run into. Thanks!

Does NY State have a lower state sales tax? If not, why shop in NY and provide the State with Tax Revenue?

CL

(Lackawanna County)

Its on my way home and one of the few places that carry 10mm in 50 round boxes

(Pike County)

The Orange County show has a number of big ammo dealers and they have to compete with each other, keeping the prices low.
    Also, there is usually a good selection there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast