Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    13747

    Unhappy Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    Ok so I have a Para Arms .45 that I bought in 2008 comming out of Iraq as a commemorative pice (has a custom paint job, and a lot of extras). Anyway when I was still in the ARMY I was buying reloads from an NCO and have put over 2000 rounds through it. Well awhile back I had a bad jam that I couldn't get cleared myself and took it to a shop that cleared it and gave it back. Thats the back story. Yesterday I took it out with some new Winchester ammo and as I was shooting several times the slide would hang up on the way forward just for a second or two and then would slide the rest of the way forward usually chambering the next round. On the first mag the last round hung up, I cleard it myself and that was the last jam I dealt with but with every 14 round mag the slide would hang up like that 3 or 4 times with both the new ammo and the reloads in 3 different mags. Now I've had this gun long enough that I'd like to think I know how to take care of it, so I'd like to know what you all think. Should I just send it back and have Para Arms look at it, take it to a local shop, do any of you have any ideas as to what could cause this? This is my first semi auto and I don't really know what to look for. I really love this gun and I can still shoot the center of a target out with it but the slide hang up is really bothering me. Anyway sorry to be long winded, so thank you to all who took the time to read it, and thank you for any help you can send my way.
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Castle, Pennsylvania
    (Lawrence County)
    Posts
    8,357
    Rep Power
    3429832

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    So...the slide will hang, but you can bump it forward into battery?

    Several possibilities, but the two most common would probably be a worn recoil spring and/or an extractor that is too tight or perhaps really dirty (making it too tight).

    Did that shop tweak your extractor?

    LycanIbettheydidthrope

    On another note, if the slide jams up just short of battery, you can wrap the weak hand right over the slide by the rear site and then smack the strong hand (web between thumb and forefinger) into the back of the grip and they pop loose.

    I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    13747

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    So...the slide will hang, but you can bump it forward into battery?

    Several possibilities, but the two most common would probably be a worn recoil spring and/or an extractor that is too tight or perhaps really dirty (making it too tight).

    Did that shop tweak your extractor?

    LycanIbettheydidthrope

    On another note, if the slide jams up just short of battery, you can wrap the weak hand right over the slide by the rear site and then smack the strong hand (web between thumb and forefinger) into the back of the grip and they pop loose.
    I don't have to bump it into battery. It does it itself. After the slide moves back and ejects the spent round and starts to move forward again it seems to hang up for a second before it chambers the next round. Almost as if the round is whats its hanging up on. After pausing for a second its moves the rest of the way forward. The end result is the same the next round is ready to be fired (usually) but there is a definite pause and its jerky instead of smooth.

    They didn't say they did anything to the extractor, but they took it into the back to use the vise so I didn't see what all was done.

    I guess I'll look into a new recoil spring, it can't hurt and its a place to start. Thanks for the ideas.
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    6023

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    Two very important repairs that won't cost you much:

    1. Adjust the extractor tension and clean out the debris that gets trapped in the tunnel.

    2. Replace the recoil spring. If it has that many rounds through it and you have never replaced it, it is overdue.

    Total repairs should be under $20.00 and you should see a huge difference in the way the gun performs after that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    13747

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    Two very important repairs that won't cost you much:

    1. Adjust the extractor tension and clean out the debris that gets trapped in the tunnel.

    2. Replace the recoil spring. If it has that many rounds through it and you have never replaced it, it is overdue.

    Total repairs should be under $20.00 and you should see a huge difference in the way the gun performs after that.
    How do I adjust the extractor tension?

    Ok! How often should the recoil spring be replaced?

    Thank you
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Castle, Pennsylvania
    (Lawrence County)
    Posts
    8,357
    Rep Power
    3429832

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

    The extractor can slow the slide because after the round is run up the ramp/frame by the slide, the case rim is forced under the extractor. How much tension is on that can determine if the slide is slowed or even stalled.

    I replace my recoil springs every couple thousand rounds in my non-competition guns.

    Lycannothardtocheckthrope

    I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    13747

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

    The extractor can slow the slide because after the round is run up the ramp/frame by the slide, the case rim is forced under the extractor. How much tension is on that can determine if the slide is slowed or even stalled.

    I replace my recoil springs every couple thousand rounds in my non-competition guns.

    Lycannothardtocheckthrope
    Looks like I need to study up. Thanks for the help. Ok, it is time for a new spring then, any suggestions on brands?
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Castle, Pennsylvania
    (Lawrence County)
    Posts
    8,357
    Rep Power
    3429832

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    Depends on the barrel length.

    For a 5" gun I recommend the Wolff 16lb spring. You could also buy an 18lb spring which could serve to overcome excess extractor tension, but that would only be my choice if the extractor needs to be tight to run.


    LycanBrownellsthrope

    I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    13747

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Depends on the barrel length.

    For a 5" gun I recommend the Wolff 16lb spring. You could also buy an 18lb spring which could serve to overcome excess extractor tension, but that would only be my choice if the extractor needs to be tight to run.


    LycanBrownellsthrope
    It is a 5". I need to find out what it came with originally as it ran fine for a really long time, which leads me to believe I don't need to jack the pressure up more than usual. Thanks for all your help, I tried to give you rep but I have to spread it around first.
    Kick them in the nuts ........ or vajajay...--Mitch10mm

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Castle, Pennsylvania
    (Lawrence County)
    Posts
    8,357
    Rep Power
    3429832

    Default Re: Need Help with my Para Arms .45

    16lb is pretty much the standard for the 5" 1911.....but springs are cheap....get one of each.

    Lycanfearnotthrope

    I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
  2. lefever arms sxs & kessler arms bolt
    By allananthony84 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
  3. Safari Arms Olympic Arms Matchmaster
    By BKeen in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
  4. Para Ord LTC anyone?
    By mrnyman in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops