Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default S&W M&P .40 or 9mm?

Greetings all

Mrs. Plinker has just authorized me to uhhh, pull the trigger, as they say, on a new compact M&P. I am not what you would call an indecisive sort, but I find myself vacillating between the .40 and the 9mm. On the one hand, I have developed a love for larger calibers. On the other, 9mm is a lot more economical to shoot.

I already have a 9mm CZ, and I am about to reacquire a .40 Sig which I sold to a future relative and who is selling it back to me as I type this. So I already have both calibers.

I am interested in real life experience - i.e. people who actually own one or the other, and who have actually shot them. So if you fit that description, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: S&W M&P .40 or 9mm?

I have M&P in 9mm. And have shot M&P in 40.

Since I never liked 40S&W, i was never keen on my beloved M&P chambered in 40.
    But one that I've shot was very accurate firearm. It woked just as slick as my 9mm.
    My 9mm is accurate, dependable, very easy to manage(as in turm og get back on to tartget for followup shot), and I certainly do trust my life on it.

Only thing i did not like about M&P40 was that since they are almost identical in weight(24oz for 9mm Vs. 24.25oz for 40S&W), felt recoil was much sharper, and to me, who is used to soft recoil of M&P9mm, although was manageble, it was rather annoying.
    In comparason, M&P45 is almost 30oz.

Thing I do like about M&P40 is that you can replace barrel with .357sig. So you can have 2 calibers.

Another thing i never cared about(not M&P, but 40S&W in general) is that ammo is NOT cheap. its almost $10 more for same number of ammo.

I've always believed that if I want the economical defence weapon, go with 9mm. If I want real man stopping weapon, stick with 45acp and .357magnum.
    So 40 just never had any appeal to me...

Just my 2 cents

thats from todays shooting

EDIT - I just realise that your looking feedback on compact model. Above statement only applys to full size.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Greetings all

Mrs. Plinker has just authorized me to uhhh, pull the trigger, as they say, on a new compact M&P. I am not what you would call an indecisive sort, but I find myself vacillating between the .40 and the 9mm. On the one hand, I have developed a love for larger calibers. On the other, 9mm is a lot more economical to shoot
    Thanks.
    Why get a compact if you're not going to carry it? If you're going to carry it...what caliber you choose is up to you. There are plenty of caliber war threads out there, and ballistic test data out on most popular rounds in both .40 and 9mm.

To me, the 9mm is the no-brainer.

Mity2, thanks for the info, and very nice target!

Synergy, I am not asking which caliber is better, I am asking what is the real life experience of people who own one of these particular guns. Since you have responded to my post, do you have one? Have you shot one? What was your experience with it?

I own both 9mm and .40 S&W pistols already. I also own pistols in .22 LR, .380 ACP, and .45 ACP. Oh yeah, I have a new pistol in .357 mag. This does not count my revolvers in .22 LR, .38 Special, .357 mag, .44 mag, and .45 Long Colt. So the question is not, which is the better caliber. I know a lot about the various calibers available to me. The question is, what is the experience of people who have actually owned and shot one of these guns in either of these calibers.

Oh yeah, I am buying this specifically to carry - concealed. If I want to open carry, which I do from time to time, I have plenty of really big guns from which to choose.

I have the M&P standard model with night sights in 9mm - love it. Also, I am not a fan of the .40. This handgun with a Streamlight on the rail is my night stand gun.

This is one fine handgun. I no longer have the Glocks - even got rid of my last 1911. I traded it for a M41. A friend of mine owns a local gun shop and the M&P is the hottest seller in handguns - can't keep them in stock.

(Chester County)

9mm.

The .40 isn't worth the expense, loss of capacity, and extra wear and tear on the gun. I don't know anybody who can tell the difference between .05" in diameter and 150 fps more (in like weight bullets).
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Mity2, thanks for the info, and very nice target!

Synergy, I am not asking which caliber is better, I am asking what is the real life experience of people who own one of these particular guns. Since you have responded to my post, do you have one? Have you shot one? What was your experience with it?

I own both 9mm and .40 S&W pistols already. I also own pistols in .22 LR, .380 ACP, and .45 ACP. Oh yeah, I have a new pistol in .357 mag. This does not count my revolvers in .22 LR, .38 Special, .357 mag, .44 mag, and .45 Long Colt. So the question is not, which is the better caliber. I know a lot about the various calibers available to me. The question is, what is the experience of people who have actually owned and shot one of these guns in either of these calibers.

Oh yeah, I am buying this specifically to carry - concealed. If I want to open carry, which I do from time to time, I have plenty of really big guns from which to choose.
    I owned a full size 9mm. I STRONGLY prefer 9mm to .40...especially in compact guns.

I've shot a few hundred rounds through each...I prefer the 9mm. Follow up shots take longer with the .40, capacity is lower, recoil is more noticeable, ammo costs more which means I'll practice less with it....it just doesn't excite me.

If I had to choose between 2 more chances to hit the CNS before a reload, or slower splits between shots and 5/100th's of an inch more frontal area on a bullet...I'll make the same choice Rule10b has made.

.40S&W just doesn't give me enough of the "warm fuzzies" for me to get passed all that comes with it.

Like I've said before...most all service pistol calibers suck equally well. Thus, I've chosen 9mm for the reasons I've given above.

(Fulton County)

I own a 9mm M&P in both full size and compact

The compact is Great for carry. There is a man in Ohio who makes kydex sleeves for the fullsize mag which i have 2 of. They make the compact fell like the fullsize.

Booth shoot great and have cause no problems.

For general shooting i prefer my fullsize but i actually shoot the compact alittle better

As for calibers I am either a 9mm or .45 guy and dont see the need for .40 or .357 sig

and with todays technology 9mm hollow points have enough power to do the job.

I really did like the fit and finish of the new M&P midsize .45

(Bedford County)

I own the M&P Compact in 9mm and so far it has been a fantastic gun.

I own a few 1911's and either own or have shot just about all of todays poly handguns...for some reason The M&P just fits me like a glove. I use the small grip backstrap and it works for me.

My gun is getting close to 500 with one malf. Last weekend I had a slide lock back with one round left in the magazine. Here is the deal... I was on my last magazine and had already fired 90 or so rounds. It was bitter cold and the sun had just gone behind the trees. I know damn well I was shaking, but I wanted to get as much range time in as I could...cold or not. I was only shooting from 7 yards, so my groups were still decent, but my fingers were numb and It was about time to pack it up. There is a damn good chance that I hit the slide release lever during firing since I was so cold. The gun never did that before or since.

Other than that, my M&PC has been super. I shoot it very well, and it has been well worth the money even with the night sight I added to the front. IMHO from 15 yards or closer....most folks shoot the compacts as well as the full size guns regardless of manufacture.

As for caliber....I chose the 9mm without thinking. I'm also one of those guys that cares little for the .40 s&w. I go from 9x19 straight to .45 acp without passing go or collecting $200. With 12+1 rounds of 9mm HP's the M&PC will get the job done if you do your part....and with ammo prices going up, the 9mm gives you more rounds for the dollar which gives you more range time. Even if it is so cold you cant hit anything.

If you search M&P you can read my Compact range report.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by fultonCoShooter View Post
    There is a man in Ohio who makes kydex sleeves for the fullsize mag which i have 2 of. They make the compact fell like the fullsize.
    Can you post pic of this?

And your right. New mid size 45 - Which is basicaly same overall demention as 9mm do look nice, and would like to try one if someone local gets it
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast