Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: S&W M&P .40 or 9mm?

If you are looking for a compact you could always wait and the the new .45c that will be coming out. They had it on display at this years SHOT show. I have the full size .45 and love it. And thinking about getting the .45c when it comes out. From what I understand the Mid is a 4" barrel with a full size frame. the compact will be a 4" barrel but with a compact frame and only able to carry 8 + 1. So basically think of the 9 or 40 frame with a 45 slide. I hope this helps you out...

Thanks for the responses everyone. I don't have to have the biggest possible caliber in every gun I own, or they would all be the same and huge to boot. Why, I have been know to carry a .380 as my main gun from time to time.

I slept on it, and after reading the responses here, I think I will end up with the 9mm. I realize the .45 will be here soon, but I can get one of them later on. When a purchase is approved, it is not wise to squander the authorization! And who knows, maybe she will want it when I get the .45!

(Philadelphia County)

I have shot both at the range I am a member of, and honestly there isn't a hell of a lot of difference. Although I am a fan of .40, I prefer the 9MM of that gun in the compact frame. It was manageable, and allowed me to put rounds on target quickly and very accurately. I also used that same gun to introduce a friend of mine to handgun shooting, and he ended up buying it. Love at first shoot. It is a great gun.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I've always believed that if I want the economical defence weapon, go with 9mm. If I want real man stopping weapon, stick with 45acp and .357magnum.
    So 40 just never had any appeal to me...

If you plan on buying lots of ammo, and shooting a lot, so you can actually hit what you want too. (And for relaxation and enjoyment.) Then 9mm is a no brainer. And I think it will do it's job if called upon for selfdefense if you do your part and hit the target. And that statement takes us back around to buying lots of ammo, and shooting a lot, so you can actually hit what you want too. (This is the song that never ends.......... I hate that song)
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Centre County)

Here is something I found that'll help you with your dicision...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Okay, I am home from the gun shop. I put money down on the 9mm version. Along with the posts I got to thinking, I already have about 800-900 rounds of 9mm stashed, and probably less than 100 of .40 S&W. Plus, I may get Mrs. Plinker to shoot it more. And if I feel the need to shoot big, I can always wear my Colt - or the DE.

(Butler County)

There must be a reason why Law Enforcement is moving away from the 9 mm in droves and going with the .40
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue River View Post
    There must be a reason why Law Enforcement is moving away from the 9 mm in droves and going with the .40

Law Enforcement shootings and self defense shootings by a civilian are two seperate things.

A civilian should try to avoid a conflict if possible. This means that most shootings will be fast, up close and very quickly over. Think of the many reasons you would have to shoot someone on the street (muggers, rapists, car jackers, home invaders) and you can come right back to that 7 yards or less stat that most people like to use.

A LEO must use his handgun for whatever situation he is called for. It might require up close work, or shooting out to 25 yards or more. LEO's are also faced with criminals that planned on doing a major crime, and are wearing body armor or who are hiding inside cover like a car or house. The LEO's handgun has to be able to do more things than a civilians IMHO.

If I was being shipped to Iraq....I might go with a Hi-cap .45 like my G21. But for on the mean streets of Everett Pa, I'll stick with a compact 9mm that is fully capable of doing its job.

Another thing to remember is that Law Enforcement dosent always make the best decisions when it comes to picking their guns. They complained about bad guys spraying full auto in California streets, so the LEO's decided to buy AR15's so they could return with full auto fire. I would have picked short barreled bolt rifles with 4X scopes that were excellent for taking out people wearing armour....but I didnt get a say.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue River View Post
    Because policy makers aren't trigger pullers.

You're talking about 1mm difference in frontal area. There are still quite a few notable depts issuing the 9mm. Think about the Navy SEAL's using a Sig226 w/ 9mm ball ammo....you think they didn't think that one through?

Do YOU see a big difference here?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Because policy makers aren't trigger pullers.

You're talking about 1mm difference in frontal area. There are still quite a few notable depts issuing the 9mm. Think about the Navy SEAL's using a Sig226 w/ 9mm ball ammo....you think they didn't think that one through?

Do YOU see a big difference here?

I thought the .45 GAP was the hot number for law enforcement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast