Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: P3AT .380

Talking P3AT .380

Lets hear your reviews...

The wife currently has a Sig P239 Chambered in .357sig although she can't seem to find a way to carry it concealed without changing her wardrobe, which she also refuses to do, and does not want to use a fanny pack or purse...

SO, in effort to accomadate her needs we have been shopping for a smaller pistol for concealed carry...

After looking a Kahrs, PPK-S, Bersa, Snubby Revolvers, and Kel-Tec... It appears that the Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 seems to fit the bill...

I have gotten good and bad reviews from some folks on my primary gun forum but wanted to get a little more input from the folks here...

So lets here it... Good or Bad... or any sugestions to keep one running tip top.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: P3AT .380

You should not carry it out of the box. However if you send it off for a full F&B (Fluff & Buff?) to a qualified gunny then they are very nice little pea shooters.

I have pictures of mine somewhere in the Gun Picture forum.

Let me know if you need more info. I sent mine down to a guy in Texas who did all for about $ 60. Now I shoot +P .380 rounds without any issues.

Its perfect for when you want to bring a gun to a knife fight.

(Cambria County)

OK, here's the view from a woman. I have a Kel-Tec .380, and I got it PRECISELY because it was about the ONE gun I could find that I found that had adeuate firepower (the only other thing in that size range was a .22 or .32, and I found that to be a bit underpowere), could carry comfortably and still have it concealed (I'm short, so this has been a real challenge). A couple of things I DO suggest, though...if she wants to carry it IWB, I would suggest that she wear either a camisole top or a tank top under her other clothing to serve as a "cushion" between her and the gun--TRUST me on this--the grip of either gun or the holster chafing against sensitive skin is NOT compfortable! Also, although they are harder to find, I would recommend the hard chrome finish...they are less prone to rust problems than the blued finish, ESPECIALLY if you tend to carry IWB. I have the hard chrome finish on mine for precisely that reason.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Blair County)

I have not had any problems with mine. I've only had it 6 months but I shoot 3-4 mags through it a week. The report and recoil seemed harsh at first. I put a rubber grip cover on it and with the practice I' ve had with it the recoil doesn't bother me anymore.

It is a great carry pistol in the summertime. I forget it's in my pocket most of the time because of it's size. I'm not too impressed with the accuracy of the pistol, but if you keep your shots within 7 yards...you will hit your target. The recoil is a bit heavy because of the short barrel. People may also complain about the heavy trigger, but that's how it was designed, considering it does not have a manual safety.

It seems that people either hate or love the Kel Tecs. There are two forums for Kel Tec owners and you will find more information there.

www.ktog.org

www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/index.php

(Delaware County)

My post from the "Most Unreliable Handgun You Have Owned" thread.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-4...html#post13105

As Aubie said, it's not very accurate, and not much fun to shoot. The PM9 is about as accurate as my Glock 26, which is to say "very good."

(Beaver County)

I have one. It has been perfectly reliable since day one. I re-finished the slide and barrel with a stainless-style finish because the bluing was wearing off from use.

I recommend them.

(Allegheny County)

I have been carrying a P3AT daily for several months and run 50-100 rounds a week through it at the range. I love that little gun. It does take a little getting used-to, it's a handful, especially with +P rounds. The rubber grip wrap is a must. I would recommend it highly. However, I just purchased the hard to find Kel Tec PF-9 and have started carrying it. It is only marginally larger than the P3AT and has considerably more punch. Check it out on the Kel Tec website and see if you can find one to handle at a local shop, it's a very slim gun and a possible alternative.