Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Why shouldn't training be required before purchase of a gun or getting LTCF ??

I'm always shocked at the stories I read here of gun handling fails. I've witnessed quite a few myself at the range.

Not a surprise given that the only qualification for gun ownership in PA is age and not having been caught doing something on the prohibited list.

Other than the rhetorical "it would be a form of gun control" or "it violates my RKBA", why shouldn't someone be required to obtain some level of safety training prior to the purchase of a gun?

What is the practical reason?

EDIT (in case anyone reads the first post).
    I did not make my question clear enough so I hope I can take this opportunity to clarify.
    1. In PA we have the right to keep and bear arms. It is in the constitution. I do not see a need to debate that fact. "Rhetorical" was the wrong word to use.
    2. I guess I've really never fully understood why the rules are so different from state to state.
    3. The thread is meant to spark a discussion on the topic.
    Last edited by Remington788; June 4th, 2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Clarification on why I started this thread.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Why shouldn't training be required before purchase of a gun or getting LTCF ??

IMO,

shouldn't need training because that could price protection beyond someones reach.

My first house gun was a raven 25.00. I was raised with guns, I was taught every house should have one. if I needed lessons, that would have cost me to much.

Basically it would be,
    As long as you can afford state sanctioned schooling you can then protect your family..
    just don't sound right..

That's the difference between a drivers license ( A privilege)
    and self defense (A natural right)
    Last edited by 51158; June 4th, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

Default Re: Why shouldn't training be required before purchase of a gun or getting LTCF ??

Well, for the reasons you tried to shoot down out of the gate, for one. For two, 85000000 other gun owners didn't negligently fire a gun into their floor yesterday. Why should I be forced to do something just because of some asshat? *I* took it upon myself to get training, as a responsible gun owner. I don't feel the need to be forced into it.

Justin

PS I'm going to park this right here.

Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

Because then it becomes a privilege.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I'm always shocked at the stories I read here of gun handling fails. I've witnessed quite a few myself at the range.

Not a surprise given that the only qualification for gun ownership in PA is age and not having been caught doing something on the prohibited list.

Other than the rhetorical "it would be a form of gun control" or "it violates my RKBA", why shouldn't someone be required to obtain some level of safety training prior to the purchase of a gun?

Where did you grow up?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    For two, 85000000 other gun owners didn't negligently fire a gun into their floor yesterday.
    If you read enough threads here, it sounds like plenty of people had NDs or swept shoppers in gun stores or at ranges etc.

Why does no one seem to care that Utah requires a training course to get a License or Permit (or whatever they call it out there)?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Where did you grow up?
    Me? SE PA.

I was taught to shoot at scout camp.

(Allegheny County)

What is going to happen is all of the irresponsible firearms owners will make the news one to many times and that will be enough to swap public opinion to legislate training for firearms ownership.

This might help bring down the amount of ND's or bad shoots but it will come at the cost of at a minimum inconvenience (financially and time) to those responsible firearms owners. The upper limit of this is inconvenience is the above stated reasons of loss of rights, discrimination of the poor, etc.

If the firearms community does not do a better job of policing its own we will suffer the consequences of it.

I don't want state mandated training. What I do what is for every firearms owner to have been trained weather formally through certified trainers or at a minimum informally by an experienced shooter.

Those who doe not seek out training ares simply ignorant of the power and responsibility they are taking on.

(Northampton County)

If you read enough threads here, it sounds like plenty of people had NDs or swept shoppers in gun stores or at ranges etc.

Why does no one seem to care that Utah requires a training course to get a License or Permit (or whatever they call it out there)?
    Why don't you go there and be happy? I don't mean that as an insult. It just seems like a better answer than imposing your desired infringement of rights on other people.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Because then it becomes a privilege.

And with that only those who can afford the class have the privilege.

Try to find a gun class in my neck of the woods.. If gun safety were really a problem, then how can PA have 737000+ licensees not accidentally shooting themselves or others?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast