Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Acceptable classes for Arizona CCW?

I tried to search this, but either my search-fu is bad today or it hasn't been addressed yet. I'm trying to find a class that will work for my Arizona CCW permit. I'm leaving for New Mexico in August for a week, and I'd like to have the permit in hand and be able to carry.

I looked on the Arizona website. As it reads:
    E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.
    Now, I've heard through the grape vine that they want a live fire portion, but I cannot find it as required by statute. Is that still a valid requirement, or can I take NRA home pistol safety with no live fire (which is cheaper and I have a free day to take it) and have that be a valid class?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Acceptable classes for Arizona CCW?

A hunter trapper safety class here will work, so will your discharge papers from the service if you ever served.

ETA: Their requirement is that the proper handling and safe use a weapon be part of the class. You do not have to display shooting capability.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
    Last edited by Doughdaddy; June 4th, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

(Northampton County)

Okay, that's what I figured. Unfortunately I was never military and I didn't take a hunter safety class... yet.

Well, the paperwork should go out by the weekend, then.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

FYI - I just received my Arizona license in the mail. All it took was a photocopy of my Utah license. No live-fire with that one.

Get your application in ASAP -- they have ~ 6-8 week processing time.

(Beaver County)

I was under the impression that you had to go to AZ to take a class... That is what their website says. Where did you get the application form? I can only find the renewal form on their website.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Questions/#2

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes_Paulsen View Post
    FYI - I just received my Arizona license in the mail. All it took was a photocopy of my Utah license. No live-fire with that one.

Get your application in ASAP -- they have ~ 6-8 week processing time.
    AZ does not require live fire classes. As I quoted above, a hunter safety course will do as long as long as the instruct on firearm safety.

Quote Originally Posted by badey View Post
    I was under the impression that you had to go to AZ to take a class... That is what their website says. Where did you get the application form? I can only find the renewal form on their website.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Questions/#2
    Try this, it is in the menu on the left of the site: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...ermits/Obtain/

You can call or email them. They will send all forms and fingerprint cards you need. There is no required travel to get your permit, that is for AZ residents.

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
    Read the bolded text. Have you had any firearms training that might meet the above requirements?
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Dauphin County)

I just emailed them for the forms from the looks of it my pa act235 will fill the requirments for the training class had alot of safty and live fire

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    Read the bolded text. Have you had any firearms training that might meet the above requirements?
    looks like I am getting my AZ permit after all! I had to get training for my Virginia nonresident permit, so that should work for AZ.

I requested an application packet via email!

I was not the OP, but appreciate the clarification on the issue.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by badey View Post
    looks like I am getting my AZ permit after all! I had to get training for my Virginia nonresident permit, so that should work for AZ.

I requested an application packet via email!

I was not the OP, but appreciate the clarification on the issue.
    It will..you can even just send a copy of the VA CHP.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; June 5th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast