Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default What's with the SERPA bashing

Recently, I have read about how some agencies don't want the SERPA: http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...a-holster.html

Now, it appears that some training facilities won't allow them either. Mine Brook Search and Rescue, Inc. is the most recent one that I have seen. I received a flyer for one of their classes and noticed that students were to supply their own holster. "NO SERPA", it said.

I have used them in the past, but stopped. Only because they are bulky, ugly and bulky (oops, I said 'bulky' twice). All kidding aside, you can't compare the concealability to designs like Raven's and those like it, but I don't see the reason for the SERPA witch-hunt.

Presently, I don't feel that their is enough evidence out there to support those who claim that the design has a safety flaw. Bash it because it is ugly. No one would argue against that.
    Last edited by spblademaker; June 4th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What's with the SERPA bashing

You answered your own question. There are many people who feel the design has a safety flaw and do not want it in there class or used by there officers. It may be a liability issue or a real belief in the safety aspect. Either way that is why they have been banned by some.

If it is a safety issue or training issue would be a different question. Is that what you meant?

(Columbia County)

It's a design that requires more training than most. The problem is a lot of people do not train enough with their equipment and you throw in some stress and adrenaline and BAM, you get a ND. I personally think it is ridiculous to ever put the retention release anywhere where you'd have to use your trigger finger to release it. That is just silly to me, but I also don't feel it mean you ARE going to have ND because of it. I'm sure many use the system for years with success, it just increases your odds without enough training.

Why I'll never use one is jamming issues. My buddy uses a Serpa for his XDm and was running it on a thigh rig. We were doing AR drills during winter and it was rather icy and snowy that day. He took a little fall (I definitely laughed my ass off) and landed on his holster. The snow must have gotten packed into the release because he literally could not depress it to get the firearm out. We had to use the heater in the car to finally melt the snow/ice and get his gun out. If a single fall for a matter of seconds in the snow can cause an inability to get my gun, then that is just a piece of shit holster. So IMO/IME Serpas are pieces of shit. Plenty of other options out there gents. Spend your money wisely.

(Allegheny County)

The SERPA places the finger near the trigger. No-Go. Plenty of other good holsters out there that don't do this. I am not sure I would want to take a class from an instructor who allowed them anymore.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    Recently, I have read about how some agencies don't want the SERPA: http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...a-holster.html

Now, it appears that some training facilities won't allow them either. Mine Brook Search and Rescue, Inc. is the most recent one that I have seen. I received a flyer for one of their classes and noticed that students were to supply their own holster. "NO SERPA", it said.

I have used them in the past, but stopped. Only because they are bulky, ugly and bulky (oops, I said 'bulky' twice). All kidding aside, you can't compare the concealability to designs like Raven's and those like it, but I don't see the reason for the SERPA witch-hunt.

Presently, I don't feel that their is enough evidence out there to support those who claim that the design has a safety flaw. Bash it because it is ugly. No one would argue against that.
    Maybe you can be the guy to shoot yourself drawing from a Serpa, and thereby convince yourself that there is enough evidence.....

I think the button on a holster idea is stupid. I don't want my gun to be rendered useless because a $.25 piece of plastic on a holster breaks, thereby locking my gun in place.

No thanks, i would not use any holster with a button. It's a stupid idea, even without the notion of "sympathetic reflex."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The SERPA places the finger near the trigger. No-Go. Plenty of other good holsters out there that don't do this. I am not sure I would want to take a class from an instructor who allowed them anymore.
    So would it also make you feel better if the class didn't allow Glocks? Because after all there are a lot of people out there that shoot themselves with Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    So would it also make you feel better if the class didn't allow Glocks? Because after all there are a lot of people out there that shoot themselves with Glocks.
    I would prefer to take a class without any Glock aid drinkers, so as to minimize the risk of getting shot by a Glock noob. Does that make me a bad person?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CartBone69 View Post
    The design of the Glock does not promote placing the finger on the trigger early so no, I would have no issues.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

Wow, this is good information for a new shooter (Me). I just ordered a Serpa (left hand) but reading this thread gives me pause to use it. I am schedule for a CC class end of June and needed a holster, now I may need to find an alternative quickly.

Thanks to OP for posting this!
    John

(Montgomery County)

I have been using Serpa holsters since they were first introduced and can say I've not had any issues with them. Yes, you must work with your equipment and become more than familiar with it. If anything, I find it reinforces the need to keep your finger straight and out of the triggerguard. I use the inside portion of the first knucle and not the pad of my finger to depress the latch. I guess I'm not seeing what the safety issue is if you take the time to work with it, and perhaps that's just it - not taking the time. With that said, I can understand that if there is a risk, training organizations may find it easier to not permit them. You can always remove the latch or simply cut the catch off if you need to.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast