Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Practical Tactical Medicine I

A 8 hr course of hands on instruction ending with a live fire culmination event. This class, based on the highly successful military approach of Tactical Combat Casualty Care, will address the 3 leading causes of battlefield death. Additionally, we will discuss Law Enforcement Officers feloniously killed with firearms as enumerated by FBI published research. Specific skill sets will include but are not limited to: 1. The latest in dressings like the Israeli and NAR with emphasis on hemostatic agents such as QuickClot and HemCon. 2. Treatment of chest wounds including the use of chest seals and intervening with tension pneumothorax by needle decompression 3. Different types of tourniquets and their proper and appropriate use 4. Review of ballistics and wounding characteristics 5. Techniques for moving the wounding operator under various stressors.

THIS IS NOT A REHASHED FIRST AID CLASS OR A BASIC EMS REVIEW.

THIS CLASS IS TACTICAL MEDICINE BASED ON SPECIAL FORCES DOCTRINE

Email to reserve seat

PracticalTacticalMedicine.com
    Brian@PTMTraining.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Practical Tactical Medicine I

I have current first aid and CPR and had first responder a few years ago any quals beyond that needed.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: Practical Tactical Medicine I

For anyone that has an interest in this course/skill set I highly commend it.
    Just did the PMT I course on Wednesday

(Dauphin County)

a live fire culmination event
    So, umm, someone gets shot so that wound-dressing techniques can be practiced on him? Is there just one designated victim, or does everyone take turns shooting each other and getting shot?

Ok, please pardon the silliness, but I am genuinely curious what the quoted text actually means.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Westmoreland County)

With the text quoted It means that a live fire training drill will be offered at the end of the day.
    The needle decompression skill is practiced on a training aid and in our case a rescue Andy.
    Nearly everyone was a first responder except one who was a teacher and decided that it would be good personal enrichment and also when things go south he had an idea of what to do.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by OIFVET View Post
    With the text quoted It means that a live fire training drill will be offered at the end of the day.
    The needle decompression skill is practiced on a training aid and in our case a rescue Andy.
    Nearly everyone was a first responder except one who was a teacher and decided that it would be good personal enrichment and also when things go south he had an idea of what to do.
    Does "live fire training drill" in the context of a first aid class mean that rounds are being fired (like in the background, for atmosphere)? Or are you using "live fire" as a metaphor for "hands on" in the context of performing the needle decompression? That's what I don't understand.

I'm just curious since it seems funny to talk about "live fire" in the context of first aid. Unless of course someone is actually firing a gun as part of the event.

This sounds like a really cool course, I can't take it now but I might be interested at some point in the future. I was just confused by those couple of words in the description.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Does "live fire training drill" in the context of a first aid class mean that rounds are being fired (like in the background, for atmosphere)? Or are you using "live fire" as a metaphor for "hands on" in the context of performing the needle decompression? That's what I don't understand.

I'm just curious since it seems funny to talk about "live fire" in the context of first aid. Unless of course someone is actually firing a gun as part of the event.

This sounds like a really cool course, I can't take it now but I might be interested at some point in the future. I was just confused by those couple of words in the description.
    In similar courses I have seen, a student would be treating the patient and interrupted by various "threats" that he has to engage by firing upon designated targets. Seems to make for a hell of a "stress innoculation"

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    In similar courses I have seen, a student would be treating the patient and interrupted by various "threats" that he has to engage by firing upon designated targets. Seems to make for a hell of a "stress innoculation"
    Ah, now that makes sense to me and seems like an interesting and potentially valuable technique. Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

I have attended both Practical Tactical Medicine I & II. I'm retired military and former law enforcement, and I can personally attest to the value of the training that is being offered. This instruction provides critical, life saving training pertinent to real world tactical situations. MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
    -Citizens own guns, subjects don't.