Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Ruger vaquero in 357 or 45 colt

I Am looking to get a sa ruger vaquero or uberti cattleman brass. I think I have narrowed it down to a ruger vaquero in a 5.5 inch barrel just don't know what caliber to get it in. I would like to start cowboy action shooting at some point. I know .45lc is expensive and hard to find. But I just like that because it's more true to the gun. I do plan to reload soon. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Ruger vaquero in 357 or 45 colt

I have a vaquero in 45 colt. If you start reloading the components are easy to find I like the 45 colt myself it that old west thing The vaquero a very good revolver

(York County)

I second Grillman's opinion: go with the .45 LC if you plan to reload. Brass, bullets and powder are easy to find from a huge range of sources on-line (I use Graf & Sons, or MidSouth Shooter's Supply myself for my mail order reloading components). Plus .45 is naturally a blackpowder cartridge, so it is lots of fun to reload with traditional FFFg for Cowboy action shooting.

I had a Vaquero in .357 when they came out, but sold it within two years. Something about the way Ruger builds their single actions makes them feel clunky to me in the smaller caliber. I hated the weight and balance of mine in .357, plus mine bound up on the primers when I reloaded my ammo. (something no other gun I've owned ever has done)

(York County)

Well I went with a stainless in 357 with 4 5/8 barrel. I always thought I wanted a 5.5 barrel but after talking to a few people I started to consider the 4 5/8. I held both in my hand at Encks for about 2 hours. Haha. I kept coming back to the shorter barrel. I will someday still get a .45 but for now the 357 it is. Now I need to find a rifle in 357!

(York County)

Gun feel is important. If the gun "feels" right in your hands, you'll tend to shoot it better.

Congrads on your purchase. While I don't like the Rugers all that much, to their credit they are solid, well made guns and will last several lifetimes.

As for your rifle: Can't say enough how much I like my Uberti 1873. It is a bit pricey, but was well worth the money for the sheer classic beauty and mechanical worksmanship.

(York County)

Yes I wish I could afford the uberti 1873 but a bit out of my price range. I am thinking of the marlin 1894 or Rossi 92. The Rossi is really rough action. I know that can be fixed. I don't really like how short the marlin is but I know they are quilty. I have a ss 336 already. Any one have either

(York County)

Yeah, those Ubertis are expensive. I scrimped and saved and sold stuff to get mine.

I've actually had several Rossi carbines. Many years ago I bought one that was flawless. I shot everything through it from full house .357 handloads to blackpowder loaded .38 and it fed everything (except wadcutters) with aplomb. I sold it to fund another gun years ago however.

A few years ago I got a stainless Rossi 92 in .44 Mag/Special. It isn't up to the same level as my old gun, but is very smooth. The top mounted safety is useless, but otherwise it works pretty good. My only real complaint is this baby is a real mule with .44 Magnum loads.

I've been wanting a Marlin myself. The standard model go for as little as $535 in some of the local dealers here. However I have read that some will double feed shorter cartridges. It is not a consistent thing apparently. Some guns work fine, but others need to use magnum length cartridges or they will attempt to feed a second cartridge in the carrier and jam. I know this is enough of an issue that it has a nickname the "Marlin disease" by cowboy action shooters. Still they are great guns.

Whatever you buy you'll enjoy have great shooting fun with it. Pistol caliber lever guns are tons of fun to shoot.

(Lycoming County)

I also recommend the 45 LC.

I like it because it is one of the original calibers for the SA six shooter.

.357 magnum created in 1935.

And if you do get into SASS, then you must reload or pay a premium for half-load cartridges in either caliber.

Not allowed by SASS rules to shoot full factory loads for safety sake.

One other firearm popular in SASS is the US Firearms models (http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/single...n-revolver.asp).

I also like the 4 5/8 inch barrels.

This was John Wayne's favorite I am told.

Plus, the shorter barrel makes handling them a little easier from holster for SASS.

Just some thoughts ...

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(York County)

You might want to stay away from the rifles based on the 1894 or 94 model actions. They were made to shoot rifle cartridges and when CAS got big again marlin, Winchester, etc chambered them in pistol cartridges. They can and will double feed especially on the rifles chambered in 357 when you shoot 38 through them. It is hit or miss if you get a jamomatic, I got lucky and have never had any issues with my Winchester 94 in 357. The rifles based on the 1892 action work very well. I also own a taylors 1873 in 45 colt which is a dream to shoot. My next rifle will either be a 1860 henry or 1866 yellow boy to go along with my black powder theme.

Quote Originally Posted by dbunce86 View Post
    I Am looking to get a sa ruger vaquero or uberti cattleman brass. I think I have narrowed it down to a ruger vaquero in a 5.5 inch barrel just don't know what caliber to get it in. I would like to start cowboy action shooting at some point. I know .45lc is expensive and hard to find. But I just like that because it's more true to the gun. I do plan to reload soon. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
    I just bought a new Vaquero 5.5" stainless in .45 Colt. Thought about .357 but I came to my senses in time. Sure glad I did. The .357 would be nice but I think I'll save that for my next single action. Maybe a Uberti birdhead
    3" blue/case hardened.