Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Lesser known 1911s?

I'd like to buy a 1911, but am interested in looking at the "lesser known" but quality brands/models. A friend of mine told me to look into the Charles Daly 1911. He has a friend that has carried one for years, and after some fine-tuning is absolutely in love with his. Does anyone have any feedback on the Charles Daly or any other less known 1911s?

I almost bought a RIA 1911 and a Kimber, but I really want to investigate some more first. Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Lesser known 1911s?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    I'd like to buy a 1911, but am interested in looking at the "lesser known" but quality brands/models.
    Why would you want to do that when there is a good amount of popular one way or another 1911's being built, now, for a G-note, or less? If you want something used, look for a Colt that hasn't been tampered with. That way, it is almost like putting money in the bank. If you want new; Armscor, Taurus, Sig, SA, and DE all build 1911's that are under $1000 and are good, quality guns. I'm not telling you they're bullseye guns, but you can fight with any of them.

BTW, why the interest in the CD? Charlesdalyforum and Wikipedia have quite a bit of info.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lancaster County)

i think charles daly is no more. get a spartan or ria and call it a day

Maybe entry level, not lesser known, in the PAFOA forum we know about them all.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun.

(Lycoming County)

The Para double stacks are kinda lesser known... I guess

Charles Daley went bankrupt several years ago. The Charles Daley brand 1911 was made by Armscor in the Philippines - as is RIA currently.

If you want a quality Armscor product, buy an STI Spartan. These are assembled by Armscor using an Armscor frame and some STI components. They are then sent to STI in Texas where they undergo final QC. You should be able to purchase one for around $635. The Spartan is available in 3", 4" or 5" barrel lengths and in either .45 ACP or 9 mm. All other STI products are Made in the USA.

Sig makes some very nice 1911's, as does S&W - both not necessarily brands we think of when we think "1911".

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; June 3rd, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

For a quality lesser known 1911 that comes with some custom touches ( such as novak sights,skeleton trigger, flared/lowered ejection port,beveled mag well,etc.) that doesn't cost an arm & leg, you should check out Iver Johnson or High Standard. While the guns are made in the Philippines, they are made to a higher grade than say RIA. They have excellent fit and finish, usually come with a stainless forged barrel, novak low mount style sights, pad indexed beavertail grip safety, and many other custom touches. Pricing usually comes in between 5-600 bones fully loaded. I would say they are the best value in 1911s, lesser known or otherwise.

(Lancaster County)

Agree with Pizza Bob about Charles Daly 1911's being made by Armscor except for the polymer frame double stack that was made by BUL in Israel.

Also, right before Charles Daly went out of business, they had stopped using Armscor due to a contract dispute.

Anyone ever needing info or work done on one should visit Horseshoe Pike gunshop in Campelltown, as the owner Jim Heverling was Charles Daly (formerly KBI) head gunsmith for something like 25 years....

(Monroe County)

Look into the Dan Wesson 1911's , Dan Wesson is now owned by CZ, ecellent Guns, but they are not as inexpensive as the CD and RIA etc., will run you about $1000.

Ah, it just came to me. Regent is a lesser known 1911 that has a decent rep and great prices. Made in Turkey. Don't worry, the Turks can build some guns.

Check this out: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=319773

They have a couple SS Regents with a few minor additions that look pretty nice, and no billboarding, you just need to float around that forum. I can't get the links to paste.
    Last edited by harold63; June 3rd, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast