Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Exclamation XD40 SC slide and magazine release issues

Hello all!

First, my appologies if this thread is out there somewhere I just could not find it, so if it does already exist, please excuse my noob-ness

Now:

I recently purchased a XD-40 subcompact (used, I am the second owner).

Ideally I would have liked to grab a NIB firearm for conceal but this gun was just too good of a buy to pass up IMO (Gander Mountain had it for $240).

Upon further inspection of the firearm when brought home I realzied the slide and magazine releases are both EXTREMELY diffucult to opperate/function.

The slide release button will function with ease approximately 2 out of 10 tries. The other 8 attempts to release the slide I need to physically pull the slide back and then hit the release button to then allow the slide to smoothly adjust back.

The magazine release button (I am right-handed) when pressed with significant pressure does not drop the magazine. I need to put the gun in my left hand and then push several times on that side of the button before the magazine ejects.

Once the magainze ejects it only releases approximately 1 inch and then is stuck. I have to physically pull the magazine out once I can get the release to work.

Has anyone had this same issue? Is this just something I need to get used to or should I be contacting springfield? I have not yet done any of these steps with a loaded magazine as I just got the gun last night and won't have time to truly fire rounds through it until next week, but I just thought this was odd so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions/information! It's greatly appreciated!

- TK

(Bucks County)

Default Re: XD40 SC slide and magazine release issues

I don't know much about this gun but two questions:

1) Is the gun clean? Magazine release on my Springfield 1911 gets very wonky if I don't run a brush up inside the grip every now and again...especially if I've been shooting dirty ammo.

2) Is the "slide release" intended to be used as such according to the manual or is it a "slide lock"? One of my guns clearly states that the "slide lock" is not to be used as a slide release, and if I try to use it as such, it's very hard to do so, although it will work if I try hard enough. You should check the manual. Using a slide lock as a slide release can cause undue wear to the parts and will eventually result in the piece wearing so much that it won't properly lock back the slide when you fire the last round.

If you haven't already done so, I would give the gun a thorough cleaning and then see how it functions.

The gun should do none of the things you are describing. My expert advice is to contact SA and send the gun in with a letter stating in detail what the PROBLEMS are.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

@ Bob - No i have not cleaned it sufficiently yet, that is my next step before taking to the range I just thought this was an odd thing to happen so I figured I'd ask first. I will certainly check out your suggestions, thanks!

@ 300WM - I sent my email/letter to their warranty department first thing this morning (around 6:00 E.S.T.) so hopefully I will hear from them sooner rather than later. Thanks for your info!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomask View Post
    300WM - I sent my email/letter to their warranty department first thing this morning (around 6:00 E.S.T.) so hopefully I will hear from them sooner rather than later. Thanks for your info!
    Their CS is good.

The thing with the slide lock is you should be able to drop the slide with it even if the manual says not to. It is hard enough to get a new mag in with an injured hand and then have to sling shot it to close it. If the slide lock isn't falling when you pull back on the slide, you can't even sling shot it.

(Bucks County)

@Thomas,

I checked the manual for that gun and the slide release IS intended to be used as such, rather than just as a slide lock, so clearly it should release the slide every time. I would still clean and lube before I consider sending the gun to Springfield, as the other issue you described with the magazine is consistent with how my 1911 operated when extremely dirty. At the time, I had no idea that you needed to clean anything but the barrel and other such easily accessible and visible parts. You've indicated that you're going to do that so I'll be curious how that turns out. The previous owner may have been ignorant like I was and may have never properly cleaned the gun. If it were me, I'd rather have that easy solution work out rather than send the gun back to Springfield, where it could potentially sit for weeks.

Good luck,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    . The previous owner may have been ignorant like I was and may have never properly cleaned the gun. If it were me, I'd rather have that easy solution work out rather than send the gun back to Springfield, where it could potentially sit for weeks.
    I always assume a used gun is clean when sold, so I usually don't think of this, though I guess it is possible. None of the shops in my town will even display a used gun unless it is clean and functions, 100%, and pawn shops here don't mess with guns, so we have no excuse. I couldn't sell someone a gun that didn't operate, well. I would rather just crush the thing and take the loss.

(Delaware County)

Maybe that is why it was so cheep. Did you try it out before you left the shop?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

@ Bob - I definitely will give it a thorough cleaning and then update once that is done - thanks for your advice!

@ 300WM - That is what I was assuming as well (that why would gander mountain be selling an un-clean gun) but of course, one can never truly know. They did get the gun the day before so there is that possibility. I will do a thorough cleaning and then see.

@MPan - I did try the slide and the mag while at the store, but only once. The slide was fine, and the mag was tough, but I just figured with more use and a good cleaning it would help, but I woke up this morning and just wanted some others opinions/insight and figured this would be the best place.

Bottom line is I will definitely give it a thorough cleaning and then see how it goes. I will definitely update...I'll attach pre and post cleaning pictures as well.

Hopefully in that time SA will get back to me and let me know if they have any similar issues that can explain this.

Obviously if when I clean it if it fixes the issues I wont send back to SA, but for now at least, I'm covering all of my forseeable bases, lol.

Again, thanks everyone so far for your help/info!

- TK

(Delaware County)

Hope it works out well for you. Just a quick question. How does the mag look, any bulges or dents? How about the lips?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast