Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Took the plunge into the deep end (AR-15)

Okay, I've been resisting it for a long time. But, I thought it was better to be safe than sorry, working under the assumption that the window for building and owning an AR-15 might not be as long as I hope, I decided to start an AR-15 build.

I went down to Lanco Tactical in Elizabethtown, where they apparently have their own house brand of AR-15 lowers, so I bought a stripped lower and a CMMG lower parts kit.

A while back, I started a thread asking about gas-piston AR's. While it is still a goal of mine to eventually own one, I'm going to wait and see if someone (PWS, Robinson, FNH, or LWRC) wins a government contract for the next batch of US Military assault rifles-- I figure that will force a parts commonality currently enjoyed by the DI stuff out there. So I'm going to go with a full-length (20") DI for the time being.

I realize it is probably cheaper to simply buy a pre-made AR, but I like being able to determine exactly what goes into it, as well as getting the experience of putting one together and seeing how all of the parts work. I do the same thing with my computer.

I'm open to suggestions regarding what direction to take this build, but I think I have an idea of what I want to do with it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Took the plunge into the deep end (AR-15)

Well no one else has chimed in so I'll give it a shot.

It all depends on how much money you would care to spend on such a build. It also depends on what your looking to do with your build. If your looking for a real tack driving accurate gun, Noveske makes excellent parts. I have no experience with them, but I have heard nothing but great things. You can get crazy with BCG's and get a titanium nitride, chrome, nickel, etc. Do you want glass on it or do you want a KISS rifle with irons? It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

Companies I suggest for components for a build are Del-Ton and Yankee Hill Machine because they are the only companies I have experience with personally.

Give a little more info on what you want this rifle to be used for/how much your willing to spend and more people will chime in
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by calypsocoral View Post
    ... A while back, I started a thread asking about gas-piston AR's. While it is still a goal of mine to eventually own one, ....
    The gas-piston system for the AR was developed to keep the hot gasses during full-auto operation away from the BCG. DI is perfectly satisfactory for normal semi-auto operation.

So, unless you plan on doing a lot of full-auto fire on your AR, a gas-piston would only give you bragging rights, and not much else.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    The gas-piston system for the AR was developed to keep the hot gasses during full-auto operation away from the BCG. DI is perfectly satisfactory for normal semi-auto operation.

So, unless you plan on doing a lot of full-auto fire on your AR, a gas-piston would only give you bragging rights, and not much else.
    Also makes cleaning alot easier .. just saying
    /bug

(York County)

Thanks for the replies so far.

Basically, the endgame would be a government-profile threaded barrel, quad rails, and likely an ACOG scope. Not necessarily going for "tack-driver", but something accurate up to and including 150 yards.

As for the parts, I'm going to go with the Lanco house-brand stripped upper and CMMG bolt carrier group. The stock, grip, and rails I'm getting from Mako, as a shout-out to my friend Abraham in the IDF. They also make a fore-end pistol grip, attachable to the rail hand-guard, that splits apart to form an adjustable bi-pod, which I thought was a neat idea, so that will likely make it in as well.

About the only thing I haven't figured out yet are the barrel, compensator, and gas block. Again, I'd like to stick with a 20" gov't barrel. I would prefer a low-profile gas block, however, or at least one with a flip-up front sight, as opposed to the standard fixed one.

(Bucks County)

Why a 20" and not a 16" if your shooting 150 ...... 16" is plenty capable of pie plate hits (if not better) at 150 and the weight/money you would save you could go with a 16" HBAR or even a SS varmint/predator and get better MOA's.Would also be better for home defense ..... JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Why a 20" and not a 16" if your shooting 150 ...... 16" is plenty capable of pie plate hits (if not better) at 150 and the weight/money you would save you could go with a 16" HBAR or even a SS varmint/predator and get better MOA's.Would also be better for home defense ..... JMO
    If I had a 16" gun that made pie plate groups on a good day at 150 yards, I'd proceed to remove the hand guards, put the upper in a vice block, and remove the barrel to use it as a tomato stake. AKs shoot better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    If I had a 16" gun that made pie plate groups on a good day at 150 yards, I'd proceed to remove the hand guards, put the upper in a vice block, and remove the barrel to use it as a tomato stake. AKs shoot better than that.
    Good point ......

I guess it's all a matter of opinion ....... and quality of the manufacturer ...... He is going on the inexpensive side ...... A $300 upper won't shoot as good as a $900 upper ....... and I think you have to have a well built AK also to group good too ..... So really I am giving fair results and hope he gets one that shoots as good as you .....

I guess I'll be quite now .....
    Last edited by Sharkey; June 2nd, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

(Lancaster County)

It sounds like you know which direction you are going with the build. I just want to warn you that building AR's can become an addiction. I thought I would just build one but that one turned into four. Good luck!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I know this is going to sound opinionated, but I have it in my mind that I'm assembling a rifle. I want it to *feel* like a rifle-- not a submachine gun. As far as I'm concerned, a 20" barrel comprises a "carbine"-- 24"-26" comprises a rifle.

Additionally, I've been told that the longer action minimizes the chances of getting hot gas vented at your arms or face.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast