Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Opinions on AR-15's

I am looking to buy my first AR-15. I am looking to spend about $1000 or under on a new one.

Any recommendations on a reliable AR manufacturer?

Any opinions on CMMG?

Should I be getting anything imperticular on the AR: Chrome lined barrel, Upgraded Bolt, Two stage trigger, Chromed bolt assembly, etc.?

I would appreciate any help.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Opinions on AR-15's

All the major brands are reliable. Get a chrome lined barrel in 1-9 twist. Even the light weight barrels shoot well enough for all "practical" purposes. Do not go shorter than 16 inches. The weak area is the sights. Get a flat top and mount a low power variable scope. 1-4x or 1-3x. The weaver V3 is light, clear, rugged and priced right. Avoid the new piston systems. Keep the bolt and carrier wet with CLP Breakfree. A rifle for official NRA matches has other needed features. If you want a very light carbine, look at the Carbon framed one out at Cabela's. very affordable.
    Teaching people how to shoot safely and accurately for 54 years. www.gunskills.com

(Wayne County)

All Ar15s are not built the same. Alot of manufacturers do not put the QC into the guns and cannot even stake the gas keys on their bolt carrier groups correctly.

If you have $1000 to spend pony up a few more $$$ buy a Colt LE6920. ( you can find them for $1097 at some Walmarts...in fact the Easton Walmart carries this model) Completely milspec 100% professional weapon. You will never regret buying the best, considering 99.9% of AR owners spend $100s and $100s "dressing" up their AR even after they claim a strict budget. ( ask me how I know LMFAO!)

If you cant do that Smith and wessons M&P line would be the next choice............

Basically ARs work in tiers

Tier 1A

Noveske, Larue Tactical above milspec "boutique weapons"

Tier 1

Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense milspec or better, all testing and QC done to ensure proper performance and long life, best resale value, best investment

Tier 2

Smith and Wesson....mix of milspec and commercial parts, great QC and customer service

Tier 3

Rock River arms, DPMS, CMMG, Armalite, Bushmaster......these weapons are mostly commercial parts and have had known quality issues either in the building or parts. ( out of spec chambers, cheap steel etc.)

Also 1/9 twist is the least desirable, 1/8 or 1/7 are the way to go allowing you to stabilize the widest variety of 5.56/223 ammunition.

I'd never recommend a carbon AR as a quality AR will be lightweight to begin with.

Phil
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedson View Post
    I am looking to buy my first AR-15. I am looking to spend about $1000 or under on a new one.

Any recommendations on a reliable AR manufacturer?

Any opinions on CMMG?

Should I be getting anything imperticular on the AR: Chrome lined barrel, Upgraded Bolt, Two stage trigger, Chromed bolt assembly, etc.?

I would appreciate any help.
    I will be picking up a Colt LE6920 this week (potentially tonight) and I spent exactly $1027. $995 for the rifle + $12 shipping + $20 FFL transfer. The downside is I waited over two months to get it on back order.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

Colt 6920 for under a grand. http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

(Bucks County)

I've been looking at some used ARs and how do I know the twist rate? how do i know if it's chrome lined?
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Wayne County)

Any "milspec" AR will have a 1/7 twist rate and a chromelined barrel of 4150 CMV ( machine gun ) barrel steel.

Some companies offer ferritic nitrocarbonized ( aka Glock tennifer/melonite) barrels ( Smith and Wesson) that may over time prove to be a better choice than chromelining ( wear and corrosion resistance without a lining to mess up accuracy)

Smith has bought out Thompson center so they started using a 5R rifled 1/8 twist melonited barrel for example.

Very few ARs offer plain unlined steel barrels today. Most commercial ARs are 1/9 twist using 4140 steel .

Check the manufacturer specs for further info if you can find the used brand you are looking into. Usually the twist rate/chambering ( 5.56 vs only .223) is stamped on the barrel as well. As for the lining, take a peek down the bore ( after the weapon is made safe and quintiple checked LOL we love safety! ) or break the weapon open, remove the bolt carrier group and you will see if the barrel extention/bore is chromlined.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; June 4th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone