Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Which .357 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    ah, yes, but you could get four of these:

Pure sex right there!

(Mercer County)

IMHO get a Smith & Wesson model 27 or 28.

These N-Frame smiths are built like tanks and you never wear it out shooting ,357s in your life time.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    IMHO get a Smith & Wesson model 27 or 28.

These N-Frame smiths are built like tanks and you never wear it out shooting ,357s in your life time.
    Damn right!

Pythons are nice, but IMO, they got nothing on the model 27's but being overpriced.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm hesitant on the K-frames cause I'm reading quite a bit on the forcing cone with 125gr 357 loads. I'll shoot 38's but I'm shooting 357's when at all possible; and since I reload it's possible.

Thanks for the response also, much appreciated.
    *sigh*
    Here we go again. The spreading of this "common issue" the k frame forcing cone cracking. 99.99% of ppl or more who write about it have NEVER seen one, first of all. Second, it takes ALOT of this combo(125gr loaded HOT) to get that result. One would have to be an idiot to intentionally shoot that many hot 125gr loads through a k frame to begin with. Solution? SHOOT A HIGHER GRAIN BULLET!
    I wouldn't use a k frame for range work anyway. IMO, they are meant for carry with some range duty. If you reload, a heavier framed gun makes more sense to stretch the boundaries of what you are loading. Model 28's are just as good as 27's, just not as perty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    *sigh*
    Here we go again. The spreading of this "common issue" the k frame forcing cone cracking. 99.99% of ppl or more who write about it have NEVER seen one, first of all. Second, it takes ALOT of this combo(125gr loaded HOT) to get that result. One would have to be an idiot to intentionally shoot that many hot 125gr loads through a k frame to begin with. Solution? SHOOT A HIGHER GRAIN BULLET!
    I wouldn't use a k frame for range work anyway. IMO, they are meant for carry with some range duty. If you reload, a heavier framed gun makes more sense to stretch the boundaries of what you are loading. Model 28's are just as good as 27's, just not as perty.
    The 99%ers I'll give you, I read it on the internet from a google search so I know the reality of it but it still had to come from somewhere I just didn't know what the amount of firing that would cause it. I would load 158gr boolits anyway just to not have it happen.
    I like the K frames cause I think there size is better for me, but I love the 27/28 Smiths;partially b/c you can almost never wear one out with full house loads...that's awesome!

Yesterday I went to the LGS and manhandled a 686 3", 629 3" and model 19 6"; both 3" guns were new with the lock and the 19 was a -2 so I'm thinking mid-late 70's??? The two 3" guns couldn't hold a candle to the 19 as far as quality IMO, just opening the cylinder it just was so smooth like the machined tolerances were perfect and the whole thing was put together by someone who loved it very much. Obviously the two 3" guns were brand new and needed to be fired to smooth them out but the 19 was pinned and recessed, firing pin on the hammer, bluing was about 95% just a nice gun with a long barrel.
    I'm going to go today to see if I can find a 4" or less gun maybe even a 66 2.5" who knows???

Any LGS that typically get these type of revolvers on the regular?
    Last edited by *Klutch*; June 1st, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

The K frame 19,66,13 & 65s are good 357s maybe a little easier to carry but the 686 is the Smith made for 357 magnum. Remember the K frames at one time were 38 most times and 357 magnum carry load. All K & L frames can shoot 38 & 357 but L frame handles the 357 round much better. The N frame 28 is a good choice for home defense and hunting but conceal carry its a load but possible if you are in the 250-300lb range.

629 is a good gun for home defense and hunting. But we started out talking about 357.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 15th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I love my 28-2 that i picked up from a guy i work with a few weeks ago.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    join the Dan Wesson club. 2" to 8" in 56 seconds. plus, new barrels are only $40.
    I'm a DW fan also, but barrels are way more the $40.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I'm a DW fan also, but barrels are way more the $40.
    www.ewkarms.com has barrels for cheap.

Yes, the barrel 'assemblies' are expensive. but eric at EWK says he's going to make heavy lug barrel assemblies in the future (not slab side, like he has at present) for under $200ish.

So I just got home from Boyer's after an afternoon of calling around to all of my favorite LGS. I am the new owner of a S&W model 19-4 that is probably 98%. There is a slight turn ring on the cylinder and it looks like someone used a screwdriver on the side plate once. The grips are perfect and of course the price at Boyer's is always good, pics to follow soon.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast