Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Sending my Kel Tec PF9 for repair!! ETA on repair?

Hi guys,
    I went out to the range with my neighbor to shoot a few of his guns. While there I wanted to show him my every-day-carry PF9, and 6 rounds (and 6 jams) later the firing pin literally flew back into my neck!!

I'm going to call Kel Tec tomorrow morning and have them repair it.

Do any of you have any experience with Kel Tec's repair shop? Do you know how long it'll take them?
    From looking around here, it seems that Kel Tec is pretty swamped with service orders. Hopefully my experience will be different.

P.S.
    For those of you who will say that I'm an idiot for buying a PF9: I'm probably going to sell/trade it as soon as I get it fixed.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Sending my Kel Tec PF9 for repair!! ETA on repair?

I can't tell you about their service or ETA on turn time.But I have heard from several that their customer service is pretty good.My wife has a PF9 and has had absolutely no problems with hers.And this is after several hundred rounds of various brands of ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I can't tell you about their service or ETA on turn time.But I have heard from several that their customer service is pretty good.My wife has a PF9 and has had absolutely no problems with hers.And this is after several hundred rounds of various brands of ammo.
    See that's what annoys me about the PF9.
    I love the gun's size and feel and all that... but the reliability is so unpredictable!! A friend of mine had it and loved it. Never had a FTF or FTE; it worked like a champ, but mine (bought brand spanking new), kept jamming!!

Hopefully Kel Tec will be able to fix the problem and I'll get my PF9 back.

(Columbia County)

The only problem my wife has with hers and it's not the guns fault,but she'll limp wrist from time to time.I have shot it and hers is extremely accurate.I'm sure Kel Tec will take care of the problems with it.If you go to KTOG forums,there is a ton of information on this little pistol.Plenty of reading and I'm sure you will find some answers to some of your questions.

(Centre County)

A friend of mine took his back to where he bought it and they sent it in. They received it last Monday and told him that it was in line to get looked at and could be 6-8 weeks.

I'm glad I got the LC9.

OP, what ammo were you using and do you have pix of the damage? I have two pf9s and both work great.

(Bucks County)

I am not sure but I think the extractor screw also holds the firing pin in. The screw may have worked its way out. I have several Keltecs, but not a PF9. I dont want one. I like my P11's! These guns are so simple to work on. You may have been able to fix it yourself!

Have you made a internet trip to KTOG.org yet? good info there!

http://www.keltecweapons.com/uploade...F-9_Manual.pdf
    Last edited by theduke; June 1st, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Dauphin County)

+1 on KTOG forum. Extractor screw does hold the firing pin in place. This was discussed on the forum. I check mine after visiting the range. If it ever loosens I'm going to treat it with blue thread lock. But my PF-9 has been error-free.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LostBits View Post
    OP, what ammo were you using and do you have pix of the damage? I have two pf9s and both work great.
    I loaded 5 rounds of Winchester White Box .115gr ammo and every single shot did not eject, so I put in heavier Remington Golden Sabers .147gr hollow point since that's what I was told when I called Kel Tec a month ago or so complaining of FTE. The first round went off but jammed again, the second went off, but threw the firing pit into my neck.

I wish I took pictures, but honestly there wouldn't be much to see. Imagine a normal PF9, but with no firing pin. I'd take picture right now for you, but I already packed the gun up waiting for Kel Tec to e-mail me a UPS shipping slip. They said that it would be upto 4 weeks to get it fixed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I am not sure but I think the extractor screw also holds the firing pin in. The screw may have worked its way out. I have several Keltecs, but not a PF9. I dont want one. I like my P11's! These guns are so simple to work on. You may have been able to fix it yourself!

Have you made a internet trip to KTOG.org yet? good info there!

http://www.keltecweapons.com/uploade...F-9_Manual.pdf
    Yes, you're right about the ejector screw. I called Kel Tec and that's what one of their gun smiths told me. He offered to mail me some parts to fix it and though I'm not an idiot with tools, I just don't see how I can fix it properly. The firing pin (which is fully enclosed in the slide) lost its spring so I really don't know how to replace the spring and I don't trust my skills enough to figure it out. Plus I've had issues with FTE since I bought it, so I figured let them tinker with it.

I hear their service department is really good so I trust they will do a good job. They told me that they will put at least two magazines through it once they finish (1mag of light .115gr range ammo, and 1mag of .147 Hollow points) so if there are any FTE they'll probably know it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast