Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default good 1911 for $600?

im in the market to get a 1911 and was wondering what are the nice/best models that are in the $600 high range. which 1911 would you buy?

(Centre County)

Default Re: good 1911 for $600?

RIA tactical or Taurus 1911.

I know that the Taurus gets a lot of shit from haters, but they are only one in price range that frame/slide are forged, and Springfield GI's are no more.

There are Springfield MilSpec' but I think they are mid $600

I recently finally saw and handled Ruger SR1911, and I was NOT impressed by it.
    Trigger. Was lose, heavy. Slide to frame fit was sloppy,
    Sure was nice looking tho
    Last edited by Mity2; May 30th, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Berks County)

My recommendation is the remington r1. have owned one for a year now and love it. have well over 3k rounds through it without any failures. not sure how much there going for right now... i believe ive seen them for around $600.

(Adams County)

I know no one takes this reccommendation seriously but the Desert Eagle 1911 is one of the finest shooting 1911's I have yet to handle. I paid mid 6's for it!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    RIA tactical or Taurus 1911.

I know that the Taurus gets a lot of shit from haters, but they are only one in price range that frame/slide are forged, and Springfield GI's are no more.
    I got a Taurus 1911 about 2 years ago for around $500 and am very happy with it.
    I did have an issue with the extractor breaking when I first got it. Called Taurus and sent it to them via Fedex. Got it back 5 days later and after almost 1000 rounds, I haven't had an issue since.

(Lancaster County)

My $639 Ruger SR1911 is a fine piece. While another forum member wasn't impressed with the one he saw, I can tell you I am impressed with the one I own. It is fit well, has been 100% reliable out of box with FMJ's and Hollowpoints from multiple manufacturers and accuracy is very good. Now the only issue is not only finding one....but finding one for a fair price.

If you absolutely must stay under $600, then I would look at the Remington R1 (have seen the basic for $599) or the Rock Island Arms Tactical (should be able to get for under $500).

Now I'm sure I'll get called a Taurus hater but I will not buy any of their firearms. Why you ask? When I worked in a gun shop part time, we had nothing but trouble with getting Taurus to honor their "Lifetime" warranty. When they finally did honor it, it always took month's to get the gun back.

I even owned one of the first Taurus 1911's to hit the streets in my area. It was a nice pistol, EXCEPT for the blue finish that would show a mark of you put the pistol down on a hard surface (like a desk). It was probably the worst factory gun finish I had ever seen. Other than that it shot fine and was reliable but I refuse to deal with a company with a shitty customer service department. With that said I will say that some people on here have claimed that the customer service is better today, BUT they have already lost me as a customer and short of a miracle they won't be getting me back.

(Centre County)

As a starter 1911 you can't really go wrong with the the RIA Tactical, Remington, R1, Taurus PT1911, Ruger SR1911, or the Springfield Mil Spec (although several of these may be closer to mid $600). All are good solid guns with a few to a lot of the extras that people put on 1911's (skeleton hammer, trigger, ambi safety or extended thumb safety and extended slide release, etc.)

If you can go to a good sized gun shop (or a big box store where they may have them) you can handle them all (they should all feel about the same) and look at them before deciding. Then shop around for the best price for the one you decide to get.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigarms229 View Post
    My $639 Ruger SR1911 is a fine piece. While another forum member wasn't impressed with the one he saw, I can tell you I am impressed with the one I own. It is fit well, has been 100% reliable out of box with FMJ's and Hollowpoints from multiple manufacturers and accuracy is very good. Now the only issue is not only finding one....but finding one for a fair price.

If you absolutely must stay under $600, then I would look at the Remington R1 (have seen the basic for $599) or the Rock Island Arms Tactical (should be able to get for under $500).

Now I'm sure I'll get called a Taurus hater but I will not buy any of their firearms. Why you ask? When I worked in a gun shop part time, we had nothing but trouble with getting Taurus to honor their "Lifetime" warranty. When they finally did honor it, it always took month's to get the gun back.

I even owned one of the first Taurus 1911's to hit the streets in my area. It was a nice pistol, EXCEPT for the blue finish that would show a mark of you put the pistol down on a hard surface (like a desk). It was probably the worst factory gun finish I had ever seen. Other than that it shot fine and was reliable but I refuse to deal with a company with a shitty customer service department. With that said I will say that some people on here have claimed that the customer service is better today, BUT they have already lost me as a customer and short of a miracle they won't be getting me back.
    Agree, solid as a rock.

I paid $625 for my SR1911 and its a pretty nice gun, nice trigger and really tight slide to frame fit. It's accurate and handles well for the money one of the better deals out there made right here in the good Ole USA.

The PT1911 is within your price range with some change left over it is a good start forged slide and frame most time a decent trigger. Most of the problem that I've heard was magazine and left side safety loosen up. I think you can get one for about $585.Taurus has a LTW.

The RIA, Armosc, SAMs, Citidal and other Filopino 1911s are well within your range some ranging from basic models $399 - $499 dressed out Commander size Citidal to a really nice RIA tacitcal for around $590.

(Cumberland County)

if you can find a sr1911 for $600 ish, jump on it - but doubt you will. otherwise, RIA - I own two and have never had an issue!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast