Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Springfield XDM 9c - Help

I really want to upgrade my current carry gun (Ruger P95 9mm). I want to get something that's sole purpose will be self defense. I've been reading up quite a bit on all the various calibers (as well as shooting them) and I am very happy / confident to continue carrying a 9mm. My only other requirement is that it has a higher capacity than what I currently carry (16).

I think I have it narrowed down to wanting a Springfield XDM 9c. This is largely due to the fact that you can carry 19+1 in the extended mag (physically makes the gun the same size as what I currently carry) or 13+1 in the regular mag.

Anyone have any experience with the XDM 9c that you could share? I know the XDM has a pretty decent following, but I haven't found much about this particular model. I put a lot of stock into personal experiences as opposed to all the manufacturer info you find online.
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Springfield XDM 9c - Help

My buddy carries one everyday in a Crossbreed. I've only seen the gun fail one time, when a case ruptured and froze up in the chamber, which wasn't the gun's fault. When shooting WWB, my Glock 19 will throw the cases out 3-4 feet, and sometimes throw one back at me. His puts them into a neat pile 5 feet away at 4:00.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Im a Springfield fan, and not ashamed of it.

Even though I generally choose my 1911 as my primary daily carry, if I could only own one pistol it would be the XDM.

I have owned almost every model in every configuration. Some, twice. Currently I have a pair of xdm 3.8 in 9mm and .40

One of the great benefits of the xdm 3.8 configuration is the switch to a captive dual recoil spring assembly. The 4.5 and 5.25 models in my opinion (flame on, asshats) have slightly more perceived recoil, increasing time in between follow up shots. The trade off for this is very obviously your sight radius.

The other noteworthy achievement of the design is its ability to absorb the pressures of the .40 S&W cartridge. In my experience, it is a smaller margin of increase in perceived recoil to .40 S&W from 9mm in the 3.8 configuration, whereas when shooting the almost identical Glock(s) 19/23, the increase was more substantial.

The xdm 9mm compact 13 rounder also allows reliable cycling loaded with up to 14 rounds. (please keep in mind it will likely affect the life cycle of your spring)

Bear with me, I replied to this on an iPhone. Buy the XDM, you won't be disappointed.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Berks County)

My experience with the 3.8 xdm has been nothing but awesome. I dont personally have one but Ive shot my buddies a lot. Like RHGregory3 said it has less percieved recoil. Ive never seen it fail adn we fed it a bunch of different stuff. Id say go with it.

Why a higher cap than 16? If you need more than that, you're in a war. Personally, I like the compact with the 13 rounder. Has a nice balance of size and capacity. I have only shot two of these (neither time did I get to use the high cap mag), but they functioned well and looked good. There are a number of good reviews on this firearm. Trust me, you could do worse by not getting one. Warranty and CS is tops.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

I'm happy to hear all the positive feedback on this firearm, thanks guys.

Keep the input coming! I'd love to hear anymore experiences out there!

300 - I'm thinking because I really want this strictly for self-defense, the higher capacity I can get while still retaining good concealment qualities the better. I know it's only a 4 round difference between that and my P95 but if (hopefully I will never have to) I do need to use it for defense the more rounds I have available w/o needing to reload, the better. People can argue about the lethality of the various calibers all day (this one has more power, this has higher velocity, this has better penetration, that has better expansion, etc), but it's hard to argue against the lethality of 20 rounds of 9 mm.

If this weren't the case then I would be carrying one of my favorites - a 4" .357 mag wheelgun (Ruger Police Service Six or S&W Model 19).

Plus I like the ability to have a standard sized pistol that with a mag change can be converted to a compact for deep concealment or vice versa.
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

(Philadelphia County)

I own that exact gun and will be carrying once my LTCF is approved. I haven't had one issue with it to date. I've only put about 300 rounds through it so far, but it fed the cheap Walmart and Dicks rounds with ease. Can't go wrong with it in my book.

(York County)

I carry the xdsc9. It's a great gun and good capacity. That is going to be my summer carry. Winter is my CW45.

(Philadelphia County)

I have an XD9SC and from what I read and hear, the XDM9C is at least as good if not better.

In a nutshell, you can't go wrong buying one. Mine has been 100% reliable and surprisingly accurate. It's fun to shoot and I often take it to the range and shoot it in favor of other pistols I have despite its smaller size. Lots of holster options available too. My favorites are made by Don Hume.

Your reason for switching sounds to me like just an excuse to buy another pistol, but any excuse is a good one!

(Butler County)

I have the XD 9mm SC and the XDM 3.8 9mm. Both are great guns. However the XD became my night stand gun when I got the XDM 3.8. At least for me the 3.8 is a lot more accurate and doesn't really matter for carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast