Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default 1911 D/A - Input

Ok, I in no way want to start yet another thread on 1911's, love 'em or leave 'em - lol. My question is on a 1911 with a D/A trigger like the Para Ordnance. I have several 1911's and enjoy them because of the history, the "neat factor" etc. but would never carry one - mainly because of the S/A trigger. I am thinking about getting one with a D/A trigger which I personally feel much better about carrying. Besides personal preferance, are there any pro's or con's to a 1911 with a D/A trigger ( besides what I would expect a die hard 1911 fan to say ..... it's not a 1911 w/o a S/A trigger! ).

Default Re: 1911 D/A - Input

Well , even Colt went that route with it's Double Eagle. ODI Viking sold reasonably well. And many gunsmiths did conversions way back when. If that's what ya want , go for it.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

The first pull on my HK USP (DA, of course) is like licking Breyers chocolate ice-cream off of a chocolate sugar cone, and the DA pull of the FN .45 Tac is better than that (though I don't own one). If you find a 1911 DA with a trigger action that is similar, then set up your own cone. I've been going freakazoid on 1911's of late, but still have yet to shoot a DA only. The DA only Para hi cap I violated in the gun shop a few weeks ago felt pretty nice. The owner used it in IDPA and traded it for a single stack .45. He said he had no issues with it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    are there any pro's or con's to a 1911 with a D/A trigger
    A friend wrote up a very comprehensive review.

Go here http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_LT...ra_Ord_LDA.htm

(Westmoreland County)

I have several 1911's and enjoy them because of the history, the "neat factor" etc. but would never carry one - mainly because of the S/A trigger.
    This issue came up in class this past Sunday although the student in question had the same concern but in regard to glocks.

To be blunt, there are no "unsafe" firearms. There are only safe or unsafe shooters.

Safety is established and maintained in our "grey matter". The manual of arms of a given firearm platform is a training issue ...... no more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    This issue came up in class this past Sunday although the student in question had the same concern but in regard to glocks.

To be blunt, there are no "unsafe" firearms. There are only safe or unsafe shooters.

Safety is established and maintained in our "grey matter". The manual of arms of a given firearm platform is a training issue ...... no more, no less.
    Yea, but in a stressful situation, a DA only trigger may be safer for some people (not saying this for Cruzans sake). Stress disrupts the grey matter in some folk and having a SA, easy to pull trigger, may get the bullet to the target before it is actually a target. Nut'in wrong with DA only. Kahr is putting out some that are quite nice.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Yea, but in a stressful situation, a DA only trigger may be safer for some people (not saying this for Cruzans sake). Stress disrupts the grey matter in some folk and having a SA, easy to pull trigger, may get the bullet to the target before it is actually a target. Nut'in wrong with DA only. Kahr is putting out some that are quite nice.
    Yeah, I have a Kahr K9 NYPD trade in and I love it - one of the reasons I was thinking of adding a 1911 D/A. What it boils down to for me is what I "perceive" as a safer carry. I know many feel comfortable with a 1911 as a carry gun, I don't - something about hammer back and single action just doesn't sit well - I like a little trigger pull. Heck, for many years, the only gun I would carry ready to go was a revolver or my P7, if I carried an automatic, it was never racked - lol. Like most say, training is key, and I agree - but even after training, being very comfortable and proficient, I still do not like a 1911 for carry. I think I'm going to start looking for a Para LDA

(Cumberland County)

A friend wrote up a very comprehensive review.

Go here http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_LT...ra_Ord_LDA.htm
    Thanks for the article, good reading !

(Westmoreland County)

Yeah, I have a Kahr K9 NYPD trade in and I love it - one of the reasons I was thinking of adding a 1911 D/A. What it boils down to for me is what I "perceive" as a safer carry. I know many feel comfortable with a 1911 as a carry gun, I don't - something about hammer back and single action just doesn't sit well - I like a little trigger pull. Heck, for many years, the only gun I would carry ready to go was a revolver or my P7, if I carried an automatic, it was never racked - lol. Like most say, training is key, and I agree - but even after training, being very comfortable and proficient, I still do not like a 1911 for carry. I think I'm going to start looking for a Para LDA
    Do you hunt?

(Cumberland County)

Do you hunt?
    negative. collect, personal protection and target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast