Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Run and gun training

What do you guys think about personally training for a run and gun scenario?

The most basic tactic is 5 steps (15 feet) and drop, aim, fire, repeat (rifle) until you reach the next cover or checkpoint.

I've got a guy who's retired Marine that offered to teach me and some of my friends some better defensive tactics including this, as well as stationary and suppressive fire tactics, etc.

I feel like these are things we need to know, because there's a chance that a situation may arise wherein these skills would be valuable to at least have a basic understanding of, and each has it's own set of control skills that are cross-applicable.

What does PAFOA think?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Run and gun training

I've thought about this as well. I remember looking into it a couple years back and was actually going to pay a decent amount of money to shoot at the Blackwater facility down south.

Most public/private ranges won’t allow tactical training like this. Do you have a place to pull this off? Also, what are the possibilities of shooting at night?
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Allegheny County)

Agree with what Jason said. If you can first find a place that allows this style of shooting method, then you should take advantage of it (I know I would). Not only is that type of course of fire practical, it is also very fun to do, and a good test of your gear and systems. Going rollover prone to the right in the dirt with an AR, can you still focus on the sights with dust and dirt getting in your eyes? Awesome training, and I guarantee mose people don't practice these manuevers. You can also look for a 3-gun type event at a local club near you; sometimes they setup COFs that simulate real world as much as possible.

(Berks County)

I would really like to get some range time shooting after dark with a light. As far as run and gun...heidelburg sprortsman hold a 3 gun tactical shoot every 3rd saturday of the month....the focus is to get real world scenarios to test out your gear and put you in those situations where you have to fire your weapon from positions other than standing squared off with your target. best part is the price, its 10.00 for 4 courses of fire!

http://heidelbergsportsmensassociation.org/

(Philadelphia County)

you're also going to be there allllll day. maybe 4 or 5 total minutes of shooting, 7 or so hours of standing around and posting targets

i got really excited about it when i heard about it, but alot of guys have told me its not worth it.

i'll still probably check it out one of these days

(Berks County)

So you have never been there and your trash talking the event based on what somebody said to you??? I have been shooting at these events for 2 years and yeah you gotta wait your turn and yeah you gotta help out taping targets...what do you want for 10.00?? but your not there all day unless the shoot is really packed. shooting starts at 10 am and usually wraps up after 2 pm. Watching the other shooters gives you insight on what you can do better and also what you dont want to do. we do ask the shooters to help with resetting the targets which consists of putting a brown sticker over the bullet hole in the target. But thats simply because if they had to pay somebody to do all of that then it would cost much more to participate in the event. go to youtube and search for heidelberg tactical shoot and check out what you get to do for your 10.00.....you cant even buy the targets for that money.

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd View Post
    you're also going to be there allllll day. maybe 4 or 5 total minutes of shooting, 7 or so hours of standing around and posting targets

i got really excited about it when i heard about it, but alot of guys have told me its not worth it.

i'll still probably check it out one of these days

(Bradford County)

There's a private "range" at the cabin, and several acres of wooded un-inhabited (other than wildlife) land surrounding that area.

Night time and low-light shooting are available, in fact, he offered us to come back after he'd had a chance to setup the "field lights" to simulate blinding conditions present when the lighting is behind the target.

I think, since it's coming from a military retiree, it'll be less "fun" than "work", but as long as there's a gun in my hands, "work" is still "fun", even if I'm exhausted at the end of the day.

As far as tactical gear goes, I don't really have too much of it, but really, how often are you going to be dressed and armed to the hilt in real life scenarios?

I'd rather practice for things I'm actually likely to encounter, personally.

Not that I don't want to train for the Zombie Apocalypse, etc also.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Christ View Post
    What do you guys think about personally training for a run and gun scenario?

The most basic tactic is 5 steps (15 feet) and drop, aim, fire, repeat (rifle) until you reach the next cover or checkpoint.

I've got a guy who's retired Marine that offered to teach me and some of my friends some better defensive tactics including this, as well as stationary and suppressive fire tactics, etc.

I feel like these are things we need to know, because there's a chance that a situation may arise wherein these skills would be valuable to at least have a basic understanding of, and each has it's own set of control skills that are cross-applicable.

What does PAFOA think?
    To get back on track.... Any training on how to correctly shoot, move and communicate is good to have. It will also give you a chance to use your KIT and see how well it does or does not work. You also need to consider the enviroment you will most likely be "working" in when setting your KIT up.

I wouldn't just have him show you how to shoot prone but also how to use cover and concealment. They are 2 terms I often see mixed up and they are very different.

Someone mentioned about night shooting and lights. That's a big skillset that many people don't practice near enough or at all. Its one thing to be fumbling with a light during training time but at 3am in the dark with someone trying to break in the game changes immensly.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    To get back on track.... Any training on how to correctly shoot, move and communicate is good to have. It will also give you a chance to use your KIT and see how well it does or does not work. You also need to consider the enviroment you will most likely be "working" in when setting your KIT up.

I wouldn't just have him show you how to shoot prone but also how to use cover and concealment. They are 2 terms I often see mixed up and they are very different.

Someone mentioned about night shooting and lights. That's a big skillset that many people don't practice near enough or at all. Its one thing to be fumbling with a light during training time but at 3am in the dark with someone trying to break in the game changes immensly.
    I shoot from all 3 basic positions with about the same accuracy and speed. Running, dropping and positioning I've never personally tried, but I've done things similar to paintball wherein you drop behind cover, fire a 3-5 shot group, then move to the next cover point, etc.

I'm good enough at quick target acquisition and restancing on the fly, but I've never tried the whole mess of skills together, and I think it'll be a pretty good thing for myself and my friends to work on, especially coming from a retired military dude. (Not sure what his job/rank were, but he did something like 3 engagements on tour, so he's more likely to be able to teach us properly than Joe Neighbor)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post

Learning the difference between cover and concealment is very important. Night shooting is a lot of fun, especially if you have night sites on your gun.

I just taught a night class last weekend and the biggest problem is guys illuminating them selves when drawing the flashlight or when putting it away. It can get real interesting when the students start reloding drills while using a light, half of them again illuminated them selves when reloading.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast