Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: spotting scope.

(Delaware County)

Default spotting scope.

Just curious. If one takes up shooting at 400 plus yards, how powerful must a spotting scope be to observe shot placement on the target? I have a 50 power, and it appears that it would not be powerful enough. My scope is probably good to 200 yards.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: spotting scope.

It depends. What caliber are you shooting and at what type of a target?

I own a Konus Sport spotting scope 20-60X 80mm. I can make out .223 holes on a white background at 200 yards. On a black background it's really difficult to see.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-KONU...COPE-3406.aspx

Konus makes the same scope as above in a 100mm. This will brighten things up a little.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-KONU...COPE-3407.aspx

I've used my spotting scope out to 300 yards and can make out the head of a orange golf tee, but can't make out something as small as .223 bullet holes in a black background. I don't think I could make anything out under 1" (contrasting color) at 400 yards.

Now if it's hot out, and there is a mirage, you can pretty much forget the above capabilities.
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

Thank you for your response. My backround has been in combat style pistol shooting....spotting scopes certainly not my strong suit.

I enjoy shooting 22 L.R. at 100 and 150 yards with a scope. I have a cheap 50X scope and I have found that the multi layer splatter targets make visibility at 150 yards much easier. After my post, I researched the subject matter of my post and found that visibility 300 yards and beyond is possible if you are willing to pay a kings' ransom for the spotting scope. With shooting only 22s, obviously, 300 yards was out of the question for me, but I was curious for those long range shooters and their equipment in determing shot placement.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Thank you for your response. My backround has been in combat style pistol shooting....spotting scopes certainly not my strong suit.

I enjoy shooting 22 L.R. at 100 and 150 yards with a scope. I have a cheap 50X scope and I have found that the multi layer splatter targets make visibility at 150 yards much easier. After my post, I researched the subject matter of my post and found that visibility 300 yards and beyond is possible if you are willing to pay a kings' ransom for the spotting scope. With shooting only 22s, obviously, 300 yards was out of the question for me, but I was curious for those long range shooters and their equipment in determing shot placement.
    Mid and Long Range shooters typically either have someone scoring their targets remotely from the pits (as in NRA matches at Camp Perry) or they shoot at steel targets and just use the "ring" for feed back of a hit.
    Toujours prêt

(Somerset County)

In order to see small things, you need clarity and resolution. Those things will cost you money, no way around it.

More power will not help if the target is fuzzy or you can't distinguish between a fly and bullet hole.

If you really want good information about optics, check out some birdwatching forums.

Dale

(Berks County)

I have an nightforce 8-32x56 on my grendel I can shoot out to 400 yards from the back of the house about 600 on top the hill. I use Bright yellow targets and I can see my .264 holes with that up to about 300-350 yards since they show up black when you shoot or use shoot and see targets. after that I just use tannerite to see if I hit it