Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Chestnuthill Twp. to reconsider gun-possession ordinance

"Chestnuthill Twp. to reconsider gun-possession ordinance

By Chad Smith
    Pocono Record Writer
    May 28, 2012
    Chestnuthill Township supervisors will consider whether a township ordinance prohibiting guns in the township park should be repealed.

The ordinance may conflict with a state law that says that municipalities don't have the authority to limit the rights of gun owners as long as the owners act in accordance with state gun laws.

The possible conflict of local and state laws was brought to the township's attention by Brodheadsville resident William Gray.

Gray doesn't want to fear being punished if he carries a firearm into Chestnuthill Park, he said. Gray said that, among other reasons, he'd like to have a gun on him in the park in case a rabid animal tries to attack him or his dog."

It's funny but I brought that up in about 2005 at a meeting and our solicitor said he'd look into it but agreed it was unenforceable. They all knew I carry at meetings in that park, in the Ross park and on all the trails. I wonder if our member BG sent a letter and was if a certified letter?

Default Re: Chestnuthill Twp. to reconsider gun-possession ordinance

Yep, I wrote a letter a couple of weeks ago. I plagiarized the heck out of another preemption letter posted here on another thread. I added in the story of an Allentown woman who had to go hand-to-hand with a rabid fox to protect herself and her dog. Sent the letter to each of the supervisors plus the attorney for the township and a copy to the newspaper with my contact info. The reporter called me a week ago. I shut him down as to whether or not I carry, what kind of gun I do or would carry and emphasized that the story is about a conflict between the regulation and the State law. Referred him to this site re other places that have dealt with the issue. I find it interesting that the quoted supervisor says (my translation) "If our rule and State law are in conflict we might just consider coming into compliance." The next meeting of the township is Tuesday, June 5 at 7 PM. I plan on being there to encourage compliance with the law and emphasize that lawful gun owners/carriers are more law abiding than the general public (who don't have to go through an FBI check to join that group). Meetings are at the Township Buikding, a mile north of Route 209 on Route 715 just north of Lake Mineola Road. Look for the spit rail fence in front.
    Last edited by bill gray; May 28th, 2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added location of the meeting

(Monroe County)

Great! See if they will take down the stupid burn ban signs also. After the last week I would say it's no longer a issue.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Monroe County)

I kind of dropped it way back because of the interesting quandary we have. It's an ordinance and we have no police plus state police won't enforce local ordinance so who would enforce it? I doubt our zoning officer would.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bill gray View Post
    The next meeting of the township is Tuesday, June 5 at 7 PM. I plan on being there to encourage compliance with the law and emphasize that lawful gun owners/carriers are more law abiding than the general public (who don't have to go through an FBI check to join that group). Meetings are at the Township Buikding, a mile north of Route 209 on Route 715 just north of Lake Mineola Road. Look for the spit rail fence in front.
    I'm at almost every meeting plus I was on the zoning hearing board but switched to the planning commission.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    "Chestnuthill Twp. to reconsider gun-possession ordinance

By Chad Smith
    Pocono Record Writer
    May 28, 2012
    Chestnuthill Township supervisors will consider whether a township ordinance prohibiting guns in the township park should be repealed.
    what should be considered? It's plain as day that are in violation and leaving themselves open to a lawsuit. It's clear as day and night what the law says and they are in violation.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

It is clear only if you know what the meaning of is is. ( Paraphrasing George Orwell and Bill Clinton)

(Monroe County)

In the comments section the supervisor commented to the readers.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...280328/-1/NEWS

Thanks for posting this. I somehow missed this article on the pocono record website, but given that I'm currently trying to get this same issue raised in East Stroudsburg I thought this was useful. I posted a comment bringing up that this problem is widespread across the state, and that its sad how many of these laws were passed after preemption was in place.

I hope this Chestnuthill law gets changed soon, so I can bring that up in my argument against Eastburg. Maybe seeing it somewhere else local, or in the local media in general, will get them to move quicker on fixing it in other places too.

NShortino: I think you can nail the legal argument easily. There is a clear conflict between the State law and the local ordinance/regulation/rule. I made it a point to write the utility of carrying too. I brought up the lady in Allentown who had to tie up a rabid fox with her dog's leash a week ago. She could not avoid getting bitten while some .38 therapy would have solved the problem. Yesterday, the Pocono Record had a piece on the burglary and killing of some exotic birds in Kunkletown. Said that mistreatment of animals is an indicator of very violent tendencies. Brings up the point that bad things happen to good people, God created man and Col. Colt made them equal, when seconds count..., etc, etc. Good luck with your East Stroudsburg campaign. Do it in writing, copy to all councilmen, their solicitor and the Pocono Record. Watch out for the reporter. He is looking to paint you as a Rambo. What you carry and if you carry are irrelevant. Concentrate on the law and the utility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast